PDA

View Full Version : Media Studies Trial

RyanDOT
01-03-2008, 04:45 PM
Im in Year 9, and as so many people applied for Media Studies course for Yr 10-11.

So im thinking of making a remake of Nickleback - Rockstar, and make people sing in school, do you think it be qualify me to Media Studies course?

Recursion
01-03-2008, 06:40 PM
LOL Media is one of the most useless subjects you could take. You should take something useful like French or Geography.

Charlie
01-03-2008, 06:46 PM
Sounds like a good idea, could try it and see.

Hey am doing GCSE media now, I can tell you the coursework creating is phone but all the evaluations and stuff takes the mick to do, but its a EASY GCSE to gain, but theres alot to remember for the exam, but its a 3hour controlled exam so u can do half of it on one day and the next the other or all in the same day, so u can look at ur notes , if u done half in the mornin n then half in the afternoon its all 1 paper, It is a fun easy subject I reckon.

myke
01-03-2008, 08:42 PM
LOL Media is one of the most useless subjects you could take. You should take something useful like French or Geography.

Media is a very useful GCSE Tom, I take it myself and my school's a tech/media academy (soon anyway) so nurrr

and, I'm not sure it would, but good luck!

Decode
01-03-2008, 08:56 PM
Not usefull

RandomManJay
01-03-2008, 09:37 PM

I disagree with that comment, with Media, you are able to obtain a job in virtually any area because virtually every single business requires marketing and a means of advertisement. Media is a wide range subject and its popularity is rising every year with it becoming one of the most popular courses to choose in GCSE, A-Level and Degree. Also pertaining to its links with other subjects (e.g. English, Psychology, Criminology, Leisure Studies, Business, Art, Performing Arts, Graphics and Education), as well as being the most influential entity in the world in which studying it improves your understanding of the world today of political, social, historical and economical factors.

I've taken Media for a total of 4 years and despite me not taking it when I attend uni, it will be one of the main areas of my study during my courses, I have never regretted taking it and I never will, I find it to be most beneficial and gratifying with you being able to study your own interests within the course and express yourself via your own personal work. I've included a link with my A-Level Coursework for you to watch if you wish, this has given me an A Grade and a round of applause during the Year 9 Choices day in my school a couple of weeks ago. I would definitely recommend it for anyone interested, although I would say that there is a lot of work involved, don't just think, like many in my class in years 10-11, that its an easy course, if you do the work, you will pass easily, if you don't, you will surely fail.

My A-Level Coursework: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDdt7tXyPoo

Buax
02-03-2008, 11:55 AM
Im in Year 9, and as so many people applied for Media Studies course for Yr 10-11.

So im thinking of making a remake of Nickleback - Rockstar, and make people sing in school, do you think it be qualify me to Media Studies course?
Good idea!

Yeah it would, good luck.

Upload it to YouTube as you go please?

Jamesy
02-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Do BTEC Media if you get the chance, much better than GCSE as far as I can tell...

My school is an arts and media college, with the crappest computers in the media department :P

Asher
02-03-2008, 12:03 PM
You can take Media Studies AS/A2 without taking a GCSE within Media.

I wouldn't say it's the hardest A-Level, but some aspects of the course push you. It helps if you are literate, of course. A lot of good Uni's accept Media as well, and it aids you well in degrees for Media and English etc

RyanDOT
02-03-2008, 01:17 PM
Do BTEC Media if you get the chance, much better than GCSE as far as I can tell...

My school is an arts and media college, with the crappest computers in the media department :P

Im going to do BTEC Media.. I upload it to the school server, then also upload onto YouTube.

Virgin Mary
02-03-2008, 09:06 PM
I think he meant it's not useful because it's not a respected A-level. However, it's GCSEs so it doesn't matter and it's easy to get an A* in so I'd take it.

Hayd93
07-03-2008, 06:38 PM
All i am gonan say is for a music video plan plan plan plan i am doing 1 at the moment and have done another before and its alot harder than u think.

First make sure you have a good plan then storyboard it in my eyes this is most important part of the video as this will be decideing if it is a susess.Also print off the lyrics and on each line write what will be happening.And last but not least when filming always use a tripod.Whithout one it will make the film look a mess.Also a tip when filming avoid zooming in and out as this will as well make it look a bit crap.

Can i also ask what editing softwear will you be using ?

Ps if you need any storyboard layouts give me a pm and i will upload some as i have a few and also any advice also pm me and i will try my best to help.

RyanDOT
07-03-2008, 06:44 PM
Can i also ask what editing softwear will you be using ?

I don't know yet, because i have to go to a college, and do it there.

I already started planning it, just gotta go to the college on monday, then i tell ya.

Jordy
07-03-2008, 07:52 PM
LOL Media is one of the most useless subjects you could take. You should take something useful like French or Geography.Indeed your right, it is commonly thought of as the most useless subject there is. Media cannot get you 'virtually any jobs', infact it's unlikely you'll get any out of it, it's a wishy washy subject and employer's and other student's tend to look down on people who do Media as it's so extremely useless, pointless, easy and unnecessary.

So many people in year 9 are always intrigued by the subject thinking it's going to be amazing, different and useful... However quite a few take it as a soft option, and rightly so too!

Hayd93
08-03-2008, 03:06 PM
Indeed your right, it is commonly thought of as the most useless subject there is. Media cannot get you 'virtually any jobs', infact it's unlikely you'll get any out of it, it's a wishy washy subject and employer's and other student's tend to look down on people who do Media as it's so extremely useless, pointless, easy and unnecessary.

So many people in year 9 are always intrigued by the subject thinking it's going to be amazing, different and useful... However quite a few take it as a soft option, and rightly so too!
I take GNVQ media and the course is great.Not to mutch writing and pretty chalanging.

I don't know yet, because i have to go to a college, and do it there.

I already started planning it, just gotta go to the college on monday, then i tell ya.

Okay,

Meanies
09-03-2008, 12:34 AM

you don't actually do stuff like that, its more 'on paper' ideas than actually making short films and stuff. in my course we've had to;
- create a soap opera, write a treatment for it (what the actual thing will be like without actually creating it), a storyboard for the opening credits, evaluation and a few other bits.
- create a magazine cover and evaluation etc.
- create a pop group and make a tour poster for them
< the 3 above were part A coursework and worth 25% of final >

- create a DVD, write a treatment (what the actual thing will be like without actually creating it), make a DVD cover for it, along with an insert or advertising poster, write a supporting account and some other small bits.
< the above is part B coursework worth 25% of final >

then there's the 3 hour exam...

it's a fun course though, i'm going on to do it at college too :) I'd recommend it anyway.
PM me if you want to know some more ;]

Hayd93
09-03-2008, 01:18 PM
you don't actually do stuff like that, its more 'on paper' ideas than actually making short films and stuff. in my course we've had to;
- create a soap opera, write a treatment for it (what the actual thing will be like without actually creating it), a storyboard for the opening credits, evaluation and a few other bits.
- create a magazine cover and evaluation etc.
- create a pop group and make a tour poster for them
< the 3 above were part A coursework and worth 25% of final >

- create a DVD, write a treatment (what the actual thing will be like without actually creating it), make a DVD cover for it, along with an insert or advertising poster, write a supporting account and some other small bits.
< the above is part B coursework worth 25% of final >

then there's the 3 hour exam...

it's a fun course though, i'm going on to do it at college too :) I'd recommend it anyway.
PM me if you want to know some more ;]

done basicly the same thing take it your doing the GNVQ media.But its what i enjoy and yes there is quite a bit of paperwork but our teahcer is amasing and is a realy great teacher to have.Even if he did leave a kid is ruissia lol

Miserlou
17-03-2008, 03:00 AM
BARE IN MIND.
Media studies at AS/A2 -
Is more writing and researching. Like studing Media.
I did Media studies in year 10/11.
I think if you're studying at school it could be pretty poor depending on our facilities. Our school provided a 20 min bus ride to Lichfield college for us :) I think by the sounds of things it depends where you study what you do. We had no exam it was all coursework assessed at college.

I absolutely loved it. It was more camera's, magazines, advertising and editing in ye 10&11.
We made a 30 page magazine, short films, trailers, promotional flyers using photoshop, a book (really boring just explaining media -longwindedly), film noir style sequences, voice over picture documentries - pretty embarassing lol. And more I can't remember...
It's NOT pointless if you are good at it and have a real passion for it.
For me it was just a tiny step in the direction I wanted to go in.

I enjoyed the essays just as the pratical 'cause I love English lol.
I'd love to become some kind of editor or music journalist.
I feel the course was really worthwhile and give you an idea of all the aspects of Media today. Go for it!

OH EDIT, YOUR DOIN IT AT COLLEGE? HURRAH :)

partie2
24-03-2008, 09:27 PM
Sounds like a good idea kind of like making a show reel. I suggest when editing using final cut pro as it a professional standard software and you can make anything look good on it. then make titles in the program live type as its a really great and quite easy software to use :)

Jinc
29-03-2008, 01:27 AM

Completely agree.
Its well known that Media Studies is one of the easiest GCSEs and A Levels to take. Despite what others have said, the career paths avaliable through media studies are very limited. There isn't much demand for popular options and the competition for them is fierce.

Its almost as bad as sociology :\

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!