PDA

View Full Version : Can England do it?

Aflux
23-03-2008, 10:40 AM
It would be an amazing comeback.

Sidebottom took 7-47 - brilliant!

168 NZ all out and Vaughn got 4, he's useless.

91-2 though, going strong.

Nereo
23-03-2008, 10:42 AM
Sidebottom is well good:D

England can win I reckon

StefanCampbell
23-03-2008, 10:56 AM
if england bat through the day(tomorow) and get a score of 400+, it's game over.

Smiddy
24-03-2008, 12:57 AM
Andrew Strauss and Ian Bell both hit back to form. Strauss nearing a century, Bell just passing a half century. Showing they can play well under pressure. Well done to them.

It'll be darn interesting to see the NZ squad which goes to England in May. No Fleming, I doubt that Bell or Sinclair will be there. Only thing which looks certain are about 7 players. Vettori, Patel, Martin, Mills, Oram, McCullum, Taylor. Maybe 1 or 2 more, but they're definites in my book.

It'll also be interesting to see who would get dropped if Flintoff came back into the squad. :)

Smiddy
24-03-2008, 01:29 AM
To add more information, Andrew Strauss has now reached his first century since August 2006; in about 230 balls. A good rate for someone under pressure, I feel.

Ian Bell is now on a solid 78 from 120ish balls and looks set to reach a century also. They're currently just going through the new ball; and the two look like they'll see it out.

The lead is now 345 runs with over 2 days left in the match.

StefanCampbell
24-03-2008, 02:55 PM
England should declare at lunch tomorrow, giving them 1 day and 2 sessions to bowl New Zealand out, with no bad weather on the way, looks like an easy victory for England.

and the player who will be dropped for flintoff will be anderson, i would like to see hoggard back in the side as he's an awsome bowler to left handers, no-one in the world better then him, especially the conditions in England will suite him down to the ground.

Harmison will almost certainly not be in the side, as he needs time to play back into form, preferably with england 'b' or with his country, but if he gets his form back and is back in top form, there is seriously no-one else better. Stuart broad should now be left in the side as in my eyes he is the next Glen Mcgrath, maybe not as good but a simular bowler(when Glen McGrath was in his prime), Englands batting line up should stay in tact too, Strauss is now showing his worth,

England starting team for NZ test;

Vaughn/Cook - Almost definately Vaughn as he's an incredible captain, but needs to come into form to cement his place in the side.
Strauss - Now is certain.
Bell - Certain
Collingwood - Certain
pietersen - Certain
Ambrose - Certain(I really like him, he's pretty good.)
Flintoff - Certain IF fit.
Broad - SHOULD be certain.
Hoggard - Certain in my eyes.
Sidebottom - Certain, best left arm fast bowler in the world ATM.
Panesar/Harmison/Anderson(depending on weather/pitch).

Don't know about NZ team, but they're definately going to be weaker as there best player(apart from Vettori) is retiring, future is not looking good for them. Unlike England and Australia, NZ have nowhere near the strength and depth of us, so they're going to suffer.

Smiddy
24-03-2008, 10:05 PM
England should declare at lunch tomorrow, giving them 1 day and 2 sessions to bowl New Zealand out, with no bad weather on the way, looks like an easy victory for England.

and the player who will be dropped for flintoff will be anderson, i would like to see hoggard back in the side as he's an awsome bowler to left handers, no-one in the world better then him, especially the conditions in England will suite him down to the ground.

Harmison will almost certainly not be in the side, as he needs time to play back into form, preferably with england 'b' or with his country, but if he gets his form back and is back in top form, there is seriously no-one else better. Stuart broad should now be left in the side as in my eyes he is the next Glen Mcgrath, maybe not as good but a simular bowler(when Glen McGrath was in his prime), Englands batting line up should stay in tact too, Strauss is now showing his worth,

England starting team for NZ test;

Vaughn/Cook - Almost definately Vaughn as he's an incredible captain, but needs to come into form to cement his place in the side.
Strauss - Now is certain.
Bell - Certain
Collingwood - Certain
pietersen - Certain
Ambrose - Certain(I really like him, he's pretty good.)
Flintoff - Certain IF fit.
Broad - SHOULD be certain.
Hoggard - Certain in my eyes.
Sidebottom - Certain, best left arm fast bowler in the world ATM.
Panesar/Harmison/Anderson(depending on weather/pitch).

Don't know about NZ team, but they're definately going to be weaker as there best player(apart from Vettori) is retiring, future is not looking good for them. Unlike England and Australia, NZ have nowhere near the strength and depth of us, so they're going to suffer.
England should declare with enough time to have a good 10 overs at them before Lunch, so about 45 minutes I'd say. It gives the new ball bowlers 5 overs each to sort out the top order; and depending on their performances, give them enough time to have a break then come back out and bowl another 7/8 overs after lunch. Then Monty taking over for the rest of the day.

The number of players you've chosen is 12 lol :S Hoggard doesn't warrant a place in the team just yet, he's out of touch, give him a month with Yorkshire and he'll be perfect. Harmison will take some more time I feel, some time in different formats will do him good.
I can't see Broad being anything like McGrath myself, but that's just me.

Our team should be as you said, minus Hoggard and including Panesar - he's essential to our test team.

Update - Strauss didn't get his 200 and we are currently on 456-7 :)
Edit - Declared on 467-7, with a 550 run lead :)

Geraint
24-03-2008, 10:09 PM
England will still probably lose.

Smiddy
24-03-2008, 10:14 PM
England will still probably lose.
I tell you what, if we do, it'll have to be the worst performance by a team ever... (in terms of defending a total) cos it'll beat the best fourth innings total to get a win by over 120!

StefanCampbell
25-03-2008, 12:43 AM
England are never going to loose, and no, I only put 11 names on my team but with /'s for players who I feel could take the spot instead of the player listed first.

Smiddy
25-03-2008, 12:49 AM
England are never going to loose, and no, I only put 11 names on my team but with /'s for players who I feel could take the spot instead of the player listed first.
You really think England should drop Cook? :S

Aflux
25-03-2008, 10:34 AM
No, they should drop Vaughn.

Blinger1
25-03-2008, 10:36 AM
No, England suck at cricket.

StefanCampbell
25-03-2008, 12:20 PM
No, England suck at cricket.

How do England suck at cricket? That's like saying NZ suck at rugby, or Brazil suck at football.. :S they were the 2nd best team in the world, beat the aussies, have 2 of the top 5 best players in the world until flintoff got injured other being pietersen.. you know nothing about cricket so dont make stupid remarks when you have no knowledge about the subject.

theres to many good players too fit in lol, he's just one of those who i find on the fringe of the team and not exactly 100% in the starting line up.

StefanCampbell
26-03-2008, 12:46 AM
England win the series 2-1 with a 120 odd runs win.

Smiddy
26-03-2008, 06:08 PM
No, they should drop Vaughn.
lol give him a chance, it seems our players under pressure come into their own eventually

theres to many good players too fit in lol, he's just one of those who i find on the fringe of the team and not exactly 100% in the starting line up.
Only thing is, with the team you'd of chosen, we'd have a top 6 batting line-up with 5 top bowlers, a 6th then being collingwood. A 7th batsem being a mix of flintoff and broad, I don't think either are yet strong enough to be considered true all-rounders yet. Which is why I wouldn't include Hoggard yet!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!