PDA

View Full Version : University ~ Anybody Going?

partie2
24-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Anybody at or going to university this year? If so what uni and what are you studying?

Im going to anglia ruskin university which is in cambridge and im studying media studies :)

Abzii
31-03-2008, 08:01 PM
I'm only in year 10, I wanna go next year though and study Marine Biology =]
I've been trying to find a uni in North-East which does that =]

Mr.Sam
31-03-2008, 08:02 PM
You'll need A levels to study marine Bio.

I might be going next year to UWE, studying games technology.

I said Might - I have the conditional placement but I'm not 100% sure if I still want to go.
I want to travel a bit.

I'm only in year 10, I wanna go next year though and study Marine Biology =]
I've been trying to find a uni in North-East which does that =]

Dentafrice
31-03-2008, 09:41 PM
I am currently in University :) Double majoring in Computer Science & Business from App.

Swearwolf
31-03-2008, 09:44 PM
goin bolton if i pass my course
ICT

Frodo13.
01-04-2008, 02:53 PM
I'm in Year 12 atm, but hoping to do History at Essex Uni.

kardiogram
01-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Anybody at or going to university this year? If so what uni and what are you studying?

Im going to anglia ruskin university which is in cambridge and im studying media studies :)

i have a friend whos going there :)

im going greenwich to study law hopefully!

Mirkwood
01-04-2008, 04:35 PM
I am hoping to be able to go to the University of Manchester or MMU to study Computer Science, Computer Science and Mathematics or Physics.

StripedTiger
01-04-2008, 04:42 PM
I need to finish my a-levels then i hope to go if i get the grades. I'm unsure about what course i want to do though. My a-levels are biology, chemistry and maths. I want to be a secondary school teacher for maths maybe? or biology if i push it. I'm hoping to drop chemistry after AS level, it isnt worth my time and effort tbh.

Might take up something like ICT or R.E - but i dont know which uni course i would take tbh.

Mirkwood
01-04-2008, 05:03 PM
I need to finish my a-levels then i hope to go if i get the grades. I'm unsure about what course i want to do though. My a-levels are biology, chemistry and maths. I want to be a secondary school teacher for maths maybe? or biology if i push it. I'm hoping to drop chemistry after AS level, it isnt worth my time and effort tbh.

Might take up something like ICT or R.E - but i dont know which uni course i would take tbh.

Although I am not familiar with the situation if you have two AS Levels, I understand that the typical university offer is three full A-Levels, unless you rely on experience and personal statements. I would personally keep Chemistry as it is an immensely well respected subject.

partie2
01-04-2008, 05:48 PM

If you check out the Ucas website there is loads of information on the different types of courses you can apply for and what you need to get onto those courses. The website is www.ucas.ac.uk, University places are done on points and for each A level you get you will get a certain amount of points for them and you total that up and see what universities and courses you can apply for with the points you have. Im not sure completely on what the points are for A levels as I did a national diploma in media.

I got my letter through today saying how much it is going to cost me per year and its around £3200, think im going to have to take a trip to the bank to sort that out.. :(

Abbie.
01-04-2008, 09:51 PM
im in lower 6th

so 2 years

i cant wait haha

partie2
10-04-2008, 09:11 AM
Just make sure that you do alot of research into the universities which you are interested in because the last thing you want to do is apply for somewhere and then find out its rubbish.

Angel-Light
10-04-2008, 12:51 PM
I wish September would roll by sooner :( I am so sick and tired of school right now cause we are at a stage where we have completed all the work and just doing revision. Would be fine but I am only doing 2 subjects so it's a bit of a bore...

I need a higher C in one of my exams so I should achieve that hopefully as I am aiming for a B minimum in my Classics exam :)

Ostinato
10-04-2008, 03:45 PM
I have 5 unconditionals for the uni's I applied to.

Pretty sure I am going to Strathclyde Uni to study International Business :)

Asher
10-04-2008, 03:51 PM
Manchester University, September 2008 to study English Linguistics

Chances
10-04-2008, 06:41 PM
Im in uni at the moment - At Imperial doing Biology :)

Mirkwood is right, keep chemistry, its well respected and most universities give an offer based on 3 full A levels.
Also if you want to do anything biology related you really need chemistry.

Plux
10-04-2008, 07:30 PM
Yeah, I got into UWIC Cardiff

Studying Media & Game tech

Asher
10-04-2008, 11:23 PM
I have 5 unconditionals for the uni's I applied to.

Pretty sure I am going to Strathclyde Uni to study International Business :)

How all they all unconditional? That's unusual.

Ostinato
10-04-2008, 11:28 PM
How all they all unconditional? That's unusual.

I dno.. ask theunis?

ill screenshot it if u want fgs ;l

kerplunkwozere
10-04-2008, 11:32 PM
i'm in like y11 but i wanna go to oxford uni to do business of some sort.

saying that, dunno if they do business at oxford or whatever, i just don't wanna move.

leah
11-04-2008, 06:16 AM
I'm Going To Uniii
But Thats In 2 Years Time :8

Asher
11-04-2008, 07:02 AM
I dno.. ask theunis?

ill screenshot it if u want fgs ;l

Wow chill out. Most uni's you have to get a set of minimum grades to fulfill their entry requirements, and they give you a conditional offer on the condition of you meeting these - unless they go of points and you have met the point requirement from sitting your AS levels alone, which isn't rare for the not so prestigious uni's. For example, for Liverpool John Moore's you need something like 100 points which is probably equivalent to three E's, lol.

Ostinato
11-04-2008, 12:10 PM
Wow chill out. Most uni's you have to get a set of minimum grades to fulfill their entry requirements, and they give you a conditional offer on the condition of you meeting these - unless they go of points and you have met the point requirement from sitting your AS levels alone, which isn't rare for the not so prestigious uni's. For example, for Liverpool John Moore's you need something like 100 points which is probably equivalent to three E's, lol.

I know how it works. I have AABBB and therefore was accepted. ;l

Asher
11-04-2008, 01:55 PM
So you had a gap year? Or are Scottish qualifications different? You only tend to find out if you've been accepted on results day (when you get your full A-level mark)

DaveTaylor
11-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Looks like I am going to Abertay at the end of 6th year (Scotland years that is I am in 5th at the moment)

N!ck
11-04-2008, 05:46 PM
Probably The University of Manchester studying Physics or something engineering based. I want to live away from home and go to somewhere like Edinburgh or Durham but probably won't be able to afford to.

Asher
11-04-2008, 05:58 PM
Probably The University of Manchester studying Physics or something engineering based. I want to live away from home and go to somewhere like Edinburgh or Durham but probably won't be able to afford to.

Generally most people can't afford uni, hence student loan and why people end up in 20k plus debt

N!ck
12-04-2008, 11:08 AM
Generally most people can't afford uni, hence student loan and why people end up in 20k plus debt

Yeah precisely, but those even in 20K debt still probably contributed several thousand by themselves and their parents.

partie2
13-04-2008, 10:22 AM
depending on your situation you can get really good grants which cover the cost of your course and some of your living costs and you dont have to pay them back.

Abbie.
23-04-2008, 08:20 PM
i have decided im going to edgehill uni :D

LOL

2009 i think, wow

*removed*

was that directed at me?

lol..

Posts merged by Thaddeus (Forum Moderator).

Carello
23-04-2008, 08:24 PM
was that directed at me?

lol..

no LOL

JackBuddy
23-04-2008, 09:06 PM
hopefully marketing/advertising at london college of communications.

Barmi
24-04-2008, 07:36 PM
If you check out the Ucas website there is loads of information on the different types of courses you can apply for and what you need to get onto those courses. The website is www.ucas.ac.uk, University places are done on points and for each A level you get you will get a certain amount of points for them and you total that up and see what universities and courses you can apply for with the points you have. Im not sure completely on what the points are for A levels as I did a national diploma in media.
Many university courses use the UCAS applications system, but don't use the UCAS tariff. All five of my offers were grade-specific; no tariff points.

The offer I've firmed is to study Law at Cambridge University, assuming I get my grades.

JackBuddy
24-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Many university courses use the UCAS applications system, but don't use the UCAS tariff. All five of my offers were grade-specific; no tariff points.

The offer I've firmed is to study Law at Cambridge University, assuming I get my grades.
dan said about that! well done!

Ostinato
24-04-2008, 08:39 PM
I have just accepted International Business at Strathclyde University :)

Jesus-Egg
24-04-2008, 10:05 PM
I'm going next year. My first choice is Durham, to do theoretical physics.

kerplunkwozere
24-04-2008, 10:06 PM
*TEXT REMOVED*

Zyney
25-04-2008, 03:11 PM
I'm hoping to move onto a university. I've currently not chosen which one yet, keeping my options open.

scott
25-04-2008, 05:56 PM
I wanted to go to uni, but i dont know now. I will wait and see still another year at school!

Nereo
25-04-2008, 06:14 PM
im not going cos im too stupid lolz :D

Calzeh
28-04-2008, 11:26 PM
If you're thinking of applying to uni, join www.thestudentroom.co.uk. It's really helped me with making choices, using UCAS, and preparing for interviews. You also meet freshers from your prospective uni and can speak to people already there doing your course. I'm Calzeh there, so if you see me around, say hello.

I'm going to Queen's Belfast to study Music, or if I don't get good grades, I have Liverpool Hope as insurance, where I would be studying Primary Teaching (QTS).

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!