PDA

View Full Version : What to do with my server?

Dentafrice
01-04-2008, 12:47 AM
Okay, just wondering what I could do with my server, need some ideas.

Specs:

Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 - Hyper Threading tech.
2.80GHz
512MB RAM.

Windows Server 2003 - Enterprise Edition - SP2.

I have WAMP installed, and File Server set up as a role, as well as Remote Access.

I was wondering anyone else had any ideas I could use it for.
I really want to get some use out of it.

I might install SSH on it, so I can quit depending on remote access so much, as it doesn't have a monitor hooked to it, it is just sitting in the corner.

May install SVN as well, any ideas?

Jamesy
01-04-2008, 02:13 AM
Okay, just wondering what I could do with my server, need some ideas.

Specs:

Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 - Hyper Threading tech.
2.80GHz
512MB RAM.

Windows Server 2003 - Enterprise Edition - SP2.

I have WAMP installed, and File Server set up as a role, as well as Remote Access.

I was wondering anyone else had any ideas I could use it for.
I really want to get some use out of it.

I might install SSH on it, so I can quit depending on remote access so much, as it doesn't have a monitor hooked to it, it is just sitting in the corner.

May install SVN as well, any ideas?

If you have a good internet connection you could host a CSS/TF2 or game server or something.

Dentafrice
01-04-2008, 02:18 AM
If you have a good internet connection you could host a CSS/TF2 or game server or something.
I used to do that, internet isn't that great. I need something that could help me out, I have three computers as well as 360 and PS3 on the network.

Robbie
01-04-2008, 09:44 AM
Make it a media server for the 360, PS3 and PC's with all your music and videos on?

N!ck
01-04-2008, 10:27 AM
Media server for your house/your personal uses when you're out and about and have an internet connection available.

Attach a webcam and stream it to the internet for the hell or it?

DarrenToogood
01-04-2008, 10:58 AM
Or you could attached yourself to a project and use it as a development server?

I might use my current computer as a server when I build my new computer. It is:

Celeron D Processor 3.06Ghz
1.2GB RAM
8GB HDD.

I would only use it as development server for projects. What would I need to do to make it into a server?

samsaBEAR
01-04-2008, 11:22 AM
id make it into a media server, we have two pcs in our house, and neither have a large hard drive.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!