PDA

View Full Version : Planning on getting an iphone

Oleh
05-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Hey im planning on getting an iphone for xmas , but im wondering should i ask for it now or nearer the time as there may be new ones coming out later on in the year ? i currently have a nokia n73 which ive compared specs and is fairly better
than the iphone

Yoshimitsui
05-04-2008, 05:48 PM
It's up to you really. Depending on how soon you want it. But be aware of the contract you have to sign up for, i don't really see apple changing it anytime soon.

I have one but it's unlocked.

Josh-H
05-04-2008, 05:49 PM
Nice choice. I'd get one later in the year as a 3G version is imminent.

Basically, just incase you don't know, 3G is a faster data network so you would get faster browsing.

(By the way, you do know you can only officially get them on contract?)

DaveTaylor
05-04-2008, 05:59 PM
I am getting mine on tuesday :D and ye 3G, but so what? I ain't really fussed about amazingly quick internet on my iPhone considering I will be using it for emails. 1kb emails w000t! lol

Oidz
05-04-2008, 06:01 PM
£35 Month Contract, dad actually thinking of getting one aswell but you need to go on 2 years, so dont get phone and think you can stop paying
You gotta go on for 2 years.

DaveTaylor
05-04-2008, 06:05 PM
£35 Month Contract, dad actually thinking of getting one aswell but you need to go on 2 years, so dont get phone and think you can stop paying
You gotta go on for 2 years.

no 18 months.

Josh-H
05-04-2008, 06:06 PM
I am getting mine on tuesday :D and ye 3G, but so what? I ain't really fussed about amazingly quick internet on my iPhone considering I will be using it for emails. 1kb emails w000t! lol

Edge is REALLY slow.. only upto 240kb/s..

Up to you but I'd wait considering head AT&T said that a 3G iPhone will be here within a couple of months and that there's a current shortage of iPhones in America.

Rafiki
05-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Nokia n95 are much better iphone r crap tbh .

DaveTaylor
05-04-2008, 06:26 PM
Edge is REALLY slow.. only upto 240kb/s..

Up to you but I'd wait considering head AT&T said that a 3G iPhone will be here within a couple of months and that there's a current shortage of iPhones in America.

240kb/s is fine, its not like your downloading torrents

Recursion
05-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Nice choice. I'd get one later in the year as a 3G version is imminent.

Basically, just incase you don't know, 3G is a faster data network so you would get faster browsing.

(By the way, you do know you can only officially get them on contract?)

No 3.5G (HSDPA) then? :| That is supposed to get upto 2mbp/s, which I do frequently on my N95 on T-Mobile, its a second broadband connection for me.

The iPhone is the worst phone money could buy, your paying for the brand really.

But if it was me, I would wait until christmas.

Josh-H
05-04-2008, 07:31 PM
No 3.5G (HSDPA) then? :| That is supposed to get upto 2mbp/s, which I do frequently on my N95 on T-Mobile, its a second broadband connection for me.

The iPhone is the worst phone money could buy, your paying for the brand really.

But if it was me, I would wait until christmas.

To an extent I'd agree (You do pay extra because it's apple), but I still think it's the best phone money can buy.

240kb/s is fine, its not like your downloading torrents

Well.. I guess I'm just impatient :)

DaveTaylor
05-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Tom is allowed his view (Matt ¬_¬) I disagree but my choice, I just can't wait til super monkey ball!

samsaBEAR
05-04-2008, 10:19 PM
id wait a couple of months, by that time hopefully you realise the iphone isnt worth the money you're about to spend on it, and choose something else

Jordy
05-04-2008, 10:25 PM
Your asking for Christmas presents for 7 months time, god I've heard of people thinking ahead but that's just pathetic. Most people begin thinking about Christmas after Summer, not in early Spring.

Olleh did this to get an iPhone so he doesn't have a contract, bought an iPhone from the Apple Shop, your then meant to take it home, plug it in your computer and then you order the contract online but he cracked it before it had chance to do that and that's it, no contract and frequent updates.

http://www.iphoneunlockuk.com/

GommeInc
05-04-2008, 10:40 PM
I wouln't waste money on a phone which is just a brand and costs way over £1,000 through contract (unless the price has gone down), but if you want it for Christmas ask close to Christmas, so you can be sure you're getting the latest version (3G judging by it).

DJ-Vimto
06-04-2008, 03:17 AM
it looks good, but its certainly not worth the money. you can get far better phones on much better contracts. I know someone that has one, he said its the worst phone he ever got, and he cant change it untill the contract runs out in...a years time. i feel sorry for him tbh.

xxMATTGxx
06-04-2008, 07:02 AM
Tom is allowed his view (Matt ¬_¬) I disagree but my choice, I just can't wait til super monkey ball!

I wasn't even going to comment, you froob.

samsaBEAR
06-04-2008, 07:03 AM
it looks good, but its certainly not worth the money. you can get far better phones on much better contracts. I know someone that has one, he said its the worst phone he ever got, and he cant change it untill the contract runs out in...a years time. i feel sorry for him tbh.
yeh, as far as im aware you're forced into an 18 month contract.

samsaBEAR
06-04-2008, 07:27 AM
sorry cant edit, but: http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/05/walt-mossberg-promises-3g-iphone-in-60-days/

Josh-H
06-04-2008, 08:38 AM

Super Monkey Ball did look awesome when they demoed the SDK but remember, SEGA is most likely going to charge us for that on the app store :(
Also, you've got to wait till June for that, masewell wait till then for the actual phone as by/during WWDC 08, 3G is going to be announced.

DJ-Vimto
06-04-2008, 11:06 AM
yeh, as far as im aware you're forced into an 18 month contract.

it's the same for all phones. Once you start a contract you have to stay with it for a certain amount of time before they can even let you cancel it. In the iphones case you may have to return it, but i dont know for sure.

similar things apply to upgrades, i dont know about other networks, but Orange will let you upgrade 3 months before your contract expires, but if you do choose to take that early upgrade, you have to wait an extra 3 months before you are eligable to upgrade next. I opted for this, so i now have to wait 21 months to get my next upgrade, doesn't really bother me because the sony ericson k850i is an epic phone

dirrty
06-04-2008, 11:12 AM
it's the same for all phones. Once you start a contract you have to stay with it for a certain amount of time before they can even let you cancel it. In the iphones case you may have to return it, but i dont know for sure.

similar things apply to upgrades, i dont know about other networks, but Orange will let you upgrade 3 months before your contract expires, but if you do choose to take that early upgrade, you have to wait an extra 3 months before you are eligable to upgrade next. I opted for this, so i now have to wait 21 months to get my next upgrade, doesn't really bother me because the sony ericson k850i is an epic phone
you can cancel your contract at any period, but you will have to pay to do so.

Nick.
06-04-2008, 11:43 AM
There's an article on MacRumors at the moment, claiming the iPhone 3G will be available in 60 days, at the WWDC in June. http://macrumors.com/ I'd wait for one of them tbh.

Good investment (y)

Ailo Gaup
06-04-2008, 11:47 AM
My brother has it, i hate it.
Up to you though

samsaBEAR
06-04-2008, 10:46 PM

yeh i know, its the 18 month part i meant was bad.
idk about you, but i get bored of phones in about 3-4 months, id hate to have the same phone for a year and a half

Rockstar
07-04-2008, 08:48 AM
It's up to you really. Depending on how soon you want it. But be aware of the contract you have to sign up for, i don't really see apple changing it anytime soon.

I have one but it's unlocked.

Just but it from the store take home and do it all in ZiPhone easy now you can insert a Pay as you go Sim card

Ailo Gaup
07-04-2008, 09:26 AM
I'd never buy it, personally. But i'm not you

DaveTaylor
07-04-2008, 05:53 PM
Mine arrived today don't get to activate it til tomorrow night when my dad is back

xxMATTGxx
07-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Mine arrived today don't get to activate it til tomorrow night when my dad is back

Have fun with your new iPhone Dave :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!