PDA

View Full Version : Easyjet 737-700 engine fire

Adam!
07-04-2008, 10:51 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/beds/bucks/herts/7333986.stm

Passengers on a plane which was forced to make an emergency landing on a flight to Luton from Athens have described their terror.
The Boeing 737's engine burst into flames and it returned to the Greek airport 40 minutes after take-off.
Adele Berry, from Leeds, said she was terrified as she heard some of her 118 fellow passengers shout "fire, fire".
Engineers are investigating a "technical problem" on Sunday night's Flight EZY 2002, operator Easyjet said.
"There was a big clanging noise, and obviously we were all terrified," Ms Berry said.
"There wasn't a lot of information being given.
Alternative flight
"Then people towards the rear of the cabin - we were at the front - said that there was a fire, and were shouting fire, fire.
"We thought we were going to crash. We didn't have a clue what to do, so we just sat there, holding hands and hoping we'd get back down again."
The pilot managed to make an emergency landing after circling over the sea to dump fuel.
"All of a sudden we heard a juddering from the side of the plane, and then you could see what looked like flashing lights outside," another passenger Richard Leigh, from Bolton, said.
"After a couple of seconds you realised that there were flames coming out. People started shouting, and we were just hanging on for grim death."
An Easyjet spokeswoman said an investigation was under way and all passengers had been offered the option of taking an alternative flight to Gatwick or taking the next day's flight to Luton.
"The flight returned from airborne due to a technical problem and passengers who wanted to were transferred to the next available flight to Gatwick 40 minutes later," the spokeswoman said.
"We don't know the nature of the technical problem yet but our engineers are investigating."
The plane's passengers had already seen their flight delayed by 90 minutes because of snow in the UK.

Yeahhh... Because 737-700's have a jettison system don't they :eusa_wall I'm sure Boeing would like to know exactly how this aircraft dumped fuel..

The 737-700 doesn't have the facility to dump fuel, I seriousally hate the BBC.. They don't know anything! :(

NEW-START
07-04-2008, 10:56 AM
I think they were meaning that the aircraft burned off fuel, not using anything like a jettison system.

Therefore, they probably meant that the B737 was dumping their quantity of fuel by burning it off.

Adam!
07-04-2008, 02:01 PM
I think they were meaning that the aircraft burned off fuel, not using anything like a jettison system.

Therefore, they probably meant that the B737 was dumping their quantity of fuel by burning it off.
No.. The aircraft landed 12 minutes after departure, despite what the BBC say - The BBC assume every aircraft has a jettison system which certainly isn't the case.

The BBC do like to dramatise things which really are not as serious as they may seem.

An engine fire, although one of the most feared things isn't really mega serious - To passengers, yes, very scary - but to those up front it's nothing unusual.

See, this is why pilots are paid so much.. They're paid for the job they CAN do, not what they do! :)

Yoshimitsui
07-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Yeahhh... Because 737-700's have a jettison system don't they :eusa_wall I'm sure Boeing would like to know exactly how this aircraft dumped fuel..

The 737-700 doesn't have the facility to dump fuel, I seriousally hate the BBC.. They don't know anything! :(

Lmao, thats what i was thinking. I was sure they coudn't do that.

Allthough hope everyones ok.

xxMATTGxx
07-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Interesting, And it was RyanAir, the pilot will loose some money LOL. Sorry ;[ But well done EasyJet :)

Adam!
07-04-2008, 02:10 PM
Interesting, And it was RyanAir, the pilot will loose some money LOL. Sorry ;[ But well done EasyJet :)
If it was Ryanair, the pilot would proberbly have to pay for the engine repairs and the cost of diverting the aircraft.. Also he/she would have proberbly been demoted/sacked for not continuing to Luton on the one engine!!!

Okay.. Maybe not, but it wouldn't supprise me.

Scania
07-04-2008, 02:26 PM
I was going to say the 737-700 couldn't dump fuel :S.

Anyway, well done to the crew. Didn't they just shut down the engine?

Adam!
07-04-2008, 03:55 PM
I was going to say the 737-700 couldn't dump fuel :S.

Anyway, well done to the crew. Didn't they just shut down the engine?
Well thats the standard proceedure for an engine fire..

Doesn't mean the fire would have been extinguished though.

Cavaz
07-04-2008, 04:06 PM
many things lie, like wikipedia. just gotta live with them.

To 2 posts above. Turning the engines off wouldn't be the smartest of ideas would it... Its not going to stop the fire.
And few above, they wouldn't really waste time circling the sea to lose fuel if they we're burning up would they?

Most engine fires are successfully solved though with alert pilots ready to get down.

Also good to see, Plane emergency's are becoming fewer!
I wouldn't say a fire engine is nothing to get scared about, Yes passengers think that because they've heard nonsense from other people. But as Adam said. They pilots wouldn't panic, they'd take it cool and just do what they are paid to do.

cocaine
07-04-2008, 04:11 PM
The pilot managed to make an emergency landing after circling over the sea to get rid of fuel.

theyve changed it, panic over :rolleyes:

Cavaz
07-04-2008, 04:13 PM
I wouldn't circle the sea If I was flying, Unless I had view of the fire and could judge how big it is and a risk it is. If It was a small fire I would circle the sea, If it was bigger I'd land and wouldn't take the risk of getting blown up by fuel explosions.

cocaine
07-04-2008, 04:15 PM
I wouldn't circle the sea If I was flying, Unless I had view of the fire and could judge how big it is and a risk it is. If It was a small fire I would circle the sea, If it was bigger I'd land and wouldn't take the risk of getting blown up by fuel explosions.

they would of shut off the fuel supply to that engine

Cavaz
07-04-2008, 04:19 PM
the fire would gradually lead up. Fuel would be left in supply pumps. Heating up small bits of fuel feeding it really.

Corporal
07-04-2008, 05:10 PM
the fire would gradually lead up. Fuel would be left in supply pumps. Heating up small bits of fuel feeding it really.
no it wouldnt?:s if there was it would be tiny amounts. Because the fuel would be shut off but the eninge would run using up the fuel thats left.

xxMATTGxx
07-04-2008, 05:24 PM
They always shut down an engine if there is a fire in one.

Cavaz
07-04-2008, 06:30 PM
they said it wasnt really a engine fire on the news just a fuel pump was sparking

07-04-2008, 06:45 PM
im going on a 737-700 on wednesday, thanks for making me feel ok :rolleyes:

Cavaz
07-04-2008, 07:04 PM
lolz dey rare so no probz

xxMATTGxx
07-04-2008, 07:16 PM

You be fine :)

Corporal
07-04-2008, 07:43 PM
the only plane id be worried about going on is the 777 and it still wouldnt be enough to put me off from getting on it

07-04-2008, 08:09 PM
plane is the safest form of transport :)

Scania
07-04-2008, 08:27 PM
the only plane id be worried about going on is the 777 and it still wouldnt be enough to put me off from getting on it

If 10 777's crashed today, I wouldn't take a second think of flying on one tomorrow for the longest journey in the world lol.

Decode
07-04-2008, 08:34 PM
What happened to the 777?

Corporal
07-04-2008, 09:21 PM
What happened to the 777?
The crash at heathrow and last i heard they still havent found the corse.
and another one not responding to auto throttle. Id still fly on one but it would be at the back of my mind.

Adam!
07-04-2008, 10:33 PM
Nothing would ever stop me flying, I love it far too much.

Right, going from my PA28 checklist then..

ENGINE FIRE IN THE AIR
Throttle........... CLOSED
Mixture........... IDLE CLUT OFF. SET FULLY LEAN.
Fuel............... OFF
Magnetos........... OFF
Cabin Air Heater/Air Conditioning........... OFF
Radio....... MAYDAY... CALL IMMEDIATELY INTIATE FORCED LANDING WITHOUT POWER PROCEEDURE.

A 737's check list is obviousaly different to the above, however it follows along the same lines - Idle the malfunctioning engine, cut the fuel off which will shut the engine down - Deploy engine extinuguishers if your aircraft has them fitted.

Nothing would ever put me off flying, nothing nothing nothing! - Pilots are trained to deal with engine fires, it's not the biggest problem in the world when you have more than 1 engine.

Even PPL students are trained to remain calm in emergency situations - At the end of the day, you need a clear head if you have any chance of landing that aircraft, no point in panicing about it.. Do the best you can and hope for the best.

xxMATTGxx
08-04-2008, 07:46 AM
The crash at heathrow and last i heard they still havent found the corse.
and another one not responding to auto throttle. Id still fly on one but it would be at the back of my mind.

I fly on any aircraft except for: Russian Built ones :P

NEW-START
08-04-2008, 10:54 AM
And few above, they wouldn't really waste time circling the sea to lose fuel if they we're burning up would they?

Actually, they do. Have you ever heard of Air Transat flight 236? They lost both engines above the Atlantic and had to fly to Lajes Air Base which is near Portugal. Before the A330 landed, the pilot circled around the airport trying to lose speed.

If the aircraft is above it's landing weight and there is a problem, they MUST burn off fuel in order to get on the correct side of the landing weight. Don't think that it's a case of "get the hell down", they have to land safely.

Then you'd be interviewed intensively by the police and the CAA because you were not following procedures.

I'll have you know that the 777 is one of the safest aircraft flying!

I fly on any aircraft except for: Russian Built ones :P

If you were given the chance to fly on an Antonov 225 tomorrow, would you? :P

Corporal
08-04-2008, 03:17 PM
I'll have you know that the 777 is one of the safest aircraft flying!
Where did i say it wasnt?

Yoshimitsui
08-04-2008, 03:49 PM
The air transat did not circle to loose speed. They where pushed to the limits as it was. There was a fuel leak and had limited controls after loosing both engines.

NEW-START
08-04-2008, 05:04 PM
Where did i say it wasnt?

I never said you never... if that makes sense? :S :P

The air transat did not circle to loose speed. They where pushed to the limits as it was. There was a fuel leak and had limited controls after loosing both engines.

They circled once around the island banking the aircraft to loose spped. (They were at 200 knots).

cocaine
08-04-2008, 05:05 PM
Nothing would ever stop me flying, I love it far too much.

Right, going from my PA28 checklist then..

ENGINE FIRE IN THE AIR
Throttle........... CLOSED
Mixture........... IDLE CLUT OFF. SET FULLY LEAN.
Fuel............... OFF
Magnetos........... OFF
Cabin Air Heater/Air Conditioning........... OFF
Radio....... MAYDAY... CALL IMMEDIATELY INTIATE FORCED LANDING WITHOUT POWER PROCEEDURE.

A 737's check list is obviousaly different to the above, however it follows along the same lines - Idle the malfunctioning engine, cut the fuel off which will shut the engine down - Deploy engine extinuguishers if your aircraft has them fitted.

Nothing would ever put me off flying, nothing nothing nothing! - Pilots are trained to deal with engine fires, it's not the biggest problem in the world when you have more than 1 engine.

Even PPL students are trained to remain calm in emergency situations - At the end of the day, you need a clear head if you have any chance of landing that aircraft, no point in panicing about it.. Do the best you can and hope for the best.

no need to show off your PA28 checklist.. although im sure to you its the same as a 737, in your own little world eh? :rolleyes:

GommeInc
08-04-2008, 05:59 PM
Why were they saying things like 'waiting for grim death' when a plane is capable of gliding. If something happens, it won't stop and drop immediately.

Yoshimitsui
08-04-2008, 06:06 PM
Some people don't react very normal when they are shocked or in a state of panic, therefore leading them to say and believe all sorts.

GommeInc
08-04-2008, 06:44 PM
True, you go into a state of forced pessimism and think everything is bad, the pilot is going to kill you etc etc. If people could force themselves tostay calm they could think it through that actually there's an increased chance they'll land fine.

xxMATTGxx
08-04-2008, 08:39 PM
If you were given the chance to fly on an Antonov 225 tomorrow, would you? :P

Yes. I think the AN-225 is an amazing aircraft. But that's the only one! :P

Corporal
08-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Why were they saying things like 'waiting for grim death' when a plane is capable of gliding. If something happens, it won't stop and drop immediately.
you taking the mick?

xxMATTGxx
08-04-2008, 08:55 PM
you taking the mick?

Lmao, Some people should start watching Air Crash Investigation , its interesting :P

Cavaz
09-04-2008, 04:07 PM
i watch aircrash investigation every day its uber cool. very intresting. but ive seen them all and its getting boring watching them over and over. I liked the one we're they landed on a drift track lols nd a family event wos dere.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!