PDA

View Full Version : Ohh dear, help with PC

lew!
07-04-2008, 11:56 PM
Right, i just opened my disk drive to take a disc out, and as it opens i hear the disc scraping the plastic tray..
And its still spinning around as i open it going

CKKKKKKKK (sound of the disk spinning and scraping the tray LOL)
what do i do? i think its broke?

Edit:

Well, My disk tray got stuck open ( i heard something snap inside) so i am trying to unscrew the side panel.
Anyway, I unscrewed all the screws and the power supply is loose now.. and i dont know how to put it back?

I cant even get the side panel off?

Its a old design (2002 or 3..) computer.. so yea Help pleaseeeeeeee

Thread moved from Discuss anything by --ss-- (Forum Super Moderator): Please post in the correct section :).
Both threads also merged due to being about similar topics by you.

Galaxay
07-04-2008, 11:58 PM
Get a knife or something to open it. It'll probably have slipped off the thing it lays in.

lew!
08-04-2008, 12:04 AM
No, the disk comes out fine.. It just spins around and then quickly stops.. So its been spinning around inside doing whatever, then i press eject, it comes out and quickly stops but its never stilll been spinning round whilst its been opening..

Recursion
08-04-2008, 07:00 AM
Souns like its working as it should to me? Btw, wrong section.

Corporal
08-04-2008, 08:02 AM
Is this about 3+ years old? and is it a laptop?

Firehorse
08-04-2008, 08:36 AM
mabe there's something obstructing it like a little stone. Wrong section anyway.

lew!
08-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Well, My disk tray got stuck open ( i heard something snap inside) so i am trying to unscrew the side panel.
Anyway, I unscrewed all the screws and the power supply is loose now.. and i dont know how to put it back?

I cant even get the side panel off?

Its a old design (2002 or 3..) computer.. so yea Help pleaseeeeeeee

Thread moved from Discuss anything by --ss-- (Forum Super Moderator): Please post in the correct section :).

DarrenToogood
08-04-2008, 07:47 PM
You make me laugh. By the sounds of it you are pressing the eject button and it is coming out straight away, instead of there being the small 2/3 seconds 'lag' which there is with normal disk drives. Sounds like its coming straight out, while the disk is still spinning. The 'lag' of 2/3 seconds that normal disk drives experience is the disk stopping, and once stopped it ejects.

Sounds like your disk drive is broke, and you will need a new one. Very cheap, plus it will be a IDE connection most likely, due to the age of the system.

The fact that you can't get the side panel off, and then unscrewed your PSU to access your disk bay really does worry me, and suggests to me you should not be taking any panels off. The side panel will have two screws to the rear of the case, one below the other. Undo both of these and pull the panel backwards towards the back of the system and it will simply lift off. Your disk drive will be encased within a metal surrounding, therefore (before you take the panel off...) disconnect your power from your mains, take the power lead from the PSU to the disk drive off, plus the IDE cable and then undo the screws which hold the disk drive into the surrounding metal and slip the drive out.

Look for some ob. problems, and if you can not see anything, I suggest buying a new one from www.novatech.co.uk or www.ebuyer.co.uk.

lew!
08-04-2008, 08:06 PM
Lol, It wont just 'slide off' though, ive unscrewed it all (which is wen the power supply fell down) and it still wont budge, ive tried sliding it in every direction possible

Ive even got 2 knives and tried to cut down to make sure it wasnt joined or anyting LMAO

DarrenToogood
09-04-2008, 11:22 AM
Could you take a pic of each angle, that will help me help you.

lew!
09-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Ive taken the side off now etc, its just the cd drive is stuck open that i need to fix.
Its as if it already thinks its shut about half way? Like u no wen it makes that noise when it shuts, (like a mechanism inside that clicks) it does that at halfway and then it doesnt go in any more, I forced it in earlier and it started working fine, but as soon as i put a disc in, i think its the disk that gets stuck now on something in the middle.

I may have to buy a new drive, dvd one pref.
Also, Anybody got any guides on how to remove a dvd drive thing from pc?

DarrenToogood
09-04-2008, 01:42 PM
I did tell you this a number of posts ago.

Turn off the power, remove the power lead, remove the panel, disconnect power and mobo connection from drive, unscrew the drive from the surrounding metal casing, pull out from the front of the case.

lew!
10-04-2008, 01:49 PM
I did unscrew it all, I cant get the metal plate off either, i unscrewed that..
The floppy drive comes out, but the cd and dvd drives wont come out.

DarrenToogood
10-04-2008, 04:31 PM
I suggest you take it to a shop, as you clearly have no secure idea of what needs to be done.

Recursion
10-04-2008, 05:05 PM
Actually some cases are difficult, like on my old HP and on my newer CM-690 I have to pull the front of the case off to be able to slide them out.

And if the PSU fell down like you said, its probably damaged the motherboard...

lew!
10-04-2008, 06:56 PM
It didnt fall down, But it did hit the side (the plastic case) and i made sure i didnt put it upside down so it fell down. So i left it, unscrewed it and i just screwed it back. Im certain it didnt hit anything.

I think im just gonna get a new pc. lol

DarrenToogood
10-04-2008, 07:01 PM
Thats a bit drastic...what arwe your current specs?

lew!
10-04-2008, 07:10 PM
No idea, But they are bad, I got the computer since 2001. lool.
Its got like 60gb memory.. Whereas now my laptop has like double that lool.

Decode
10-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Take a photo of this problem.

DarrenToogood
10-04-2008, 08:00 PM
Seriously... 60GB Memory :S *** you on about.

If you are going to buy a new PC, do not build your own and ask for advice on these forums.

lew!
10-04-2008, 08:04 PM
What do you mean seriously 60gb memory?
theres a problem section for a reason on this forum.

DarrenToogood
11-04-2008, 09:33 AM
60GB Memory..no such thing. You can get 32GB RAM for servers, if you want to pay £9000.

You mean 60GB HDD, which is not alot however I have lived on 80GB for 3 years, formatting it once.

lew!
11-04-2008, 02:24 PM
Yeah, 60Gb HD.
but im just gonna get a new pc and mabye mod that.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!