PDA

View Full Version : Computer Over Heating when Turned Off

GommeInc
11-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Yo,

Long story short,
My brother's computer overheats, somehow, when it's turned off. I am guessing the HDD remains on while the rest of it goes off e.g. the fan causing it to over-heat. I'm not sure why it does this, unless when I changed the graphics card I pulled out a wire by accident, but I'm not sure that's the answer. The last time it did it I opend it up and took the HDD out, and it was very warm on the verge to hot.

Anyway, what should I look for with the fan or anything else that maybe causing the problem? The PC turns on, but only after it has been unplugged for a few hours to cool down.

iFuseDan
11-04-2008, 04:10 PM
In all honesty, you're more than likely looking at a faulty Power Supply. When the machine turns off the motherboard signals to the power-supply to basicly stop providing power. If that mechanism was damaged you'd probably see a "It is now safe to turn off your computer" screen (which is a sign of ATX issues). However if the HDD is warm, then perhaps its still receiving power - unless your machine is on standby there should be nothing high enough in wattage flowing through the rest of the box to cause any amount of major heat.

Try plugging the HDD into a different loop off the power-supply, if you've got the same issue you might want to try a new powere supply.

nathanreeves
12-04-2008, 11:09 AM
Switch the computer off by the plug can over hear then

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!