PDA

View Full Version : Incredible Firefox Keyboard Shortcuts Which You Probably Don’t Know About

Mr.Sam
12-04-2008, 10:08 AM
1: Automatically complete .org and .net addresses

Yes, we know that if we type ‘google’ in the address bar and press Ctrl+Enter it directly goes to www.google.com (http://www.google.com) . But what about .org and .net addresses? . In Firefox, Shift+Enter takes you to .net and Ctrl+Shift+Enter takes you to .org addresses automatically . So if you wanna go to Problogger (http://www.problogger.net/) , just type the word in firefox address bar and press Shift+Enter .

2: Alt + D
You can use this to navigate directly to the browser address bar of firefox. Very useful.

3: Ctrl+T and Ctrl+Shift+T
Ctrl+T helps you to open a new tab and Ctrl+Shift+T reopens the last closed tab.
This comes quite handy in case you accidently close a tab. Another way to do this would be go to History -> Recently closed tabs.

4: Alt+Enter
This can be an extremely useful shortcut. It automatically opens a website in another tab when you highlight it in the autocomplete list. For example you want to go to Facebook and you start typing www.face… (http://www.face%E2%80%A6), in the address bar and it starts showing the list below. You just need to use the down arrow key to highlight the selection (facebook.com in this case ) and press Alt+Enter so that it opens in a new tab.

5: Use of Delete Key
The Delete key can be pretty useful because it helps you delete specific addresses in browser history or autocomplete forms. For example in the diagram below, when I type ‘a’ in google search I get 3 entries . If I want to delete the 2nd entry from autocomplete history , I’ll just point to it and press Delete key . Simple,isn’t it .
*also works with website history*

http://duggmirror.com/design/Incredible_Firefox_Keyboard_Shortcuts_You_May_Not_ Know_About/c5ed830d2fbb13d5c8fdf9535494573a_image24.jpg

6: Ctrl+Tab

Ctrl+tab helps you to navigate between different firefox tabs quite easily.

7: Ctrl+[1,2….9]

Ctrl+tab can help you navigate alternate tabs but if you are a heavy tab user like me and want to go to a specific tab then just use Ctrl+corresponding tab number. Ex:To go to the 3rd tab use Ctrl+3 .

8: Spacebar and Shift+Spacebar OR PageDown and PageUp

Spacebar or PageDown key scrolls down the webpage you’re on and Shift+Spacebar or PageUp scrolls up the webpage you’re on .

9: The Middle Mouse Button

This is not a keyboard shortcut but it is an excellent shortcut . Just point to a link anywhere on a webpage and press the middle mouse(scroll) button . It opens the page in a new tab .

I hope these shortcuts will enhance your browsing productivity with Firefox . Do you know about other interesting shortcuts which I may have missed ?

source: http://www.jeetblog.com/incredible-firefox-keyboard-shortcuts/

John!
12-04-2008, 10:15 AM
Thanks for these. I didn't know about a lot of them. +REP. :)

samsaBEAR
12-04-2008, 10:35 AM
i knew most of them, i've used the middle mouse button since i first started using firefox. i found it out by accident tho. its worth noting that this also works in opera, not sure about internet explorer

Recursion
12-04-2008, 10:38 AM
I knew about ctrl+t and mouse wheel, but for some reason I never actually use the mouse wheel to open new links, i just right click for some reason.

Blinger1
12-04-2008, 10:38 AM

Yes, we know that if we type ‘google’ in the address bar and press Ctrl+Enter it directly goes to www.google.com . But what about .org and .net addresses? . In Firefox, Shift+Enter takes you to .net and Ctrl+Shift+Enter takes you to .org addresses automatically . So if you wanna go to Problogger , just type the word in firefox address bar and press Shift+Enter .

I would think these work on internet explorer too

Daphne,
12-04-2008, 10:42 AM
New moossst, but they're pretty rad =D

Blinger1
12-04-2008, 10:43 AM

Yes, we know that if we type ‘google’ in the address bar and press Ctrl+Enter it directly goes to www.google.com . But what about .org and .net addresses? . In Firefox, Shift+Enter takes you to .net and Ctrl+Shift+Enter takes you to .org addresses automatically . So if you wanna go to Problogger , just type the word in firefox address bar and press Shift+Enter .

I would think these work on internet explorer too
ignore that, doesn't work.. only the ctrl+enter

Zaub
12-04-2008, 11:12 AM
I always accidently do the .net thing sometimes :(

Thanks for the tips.

Technologic
12-04-2008, 11:25 AM
ctrl+t is the same in IE7 aswell...

Shawnstra
12-04-2008, 11:13 PM
Know some of them already but some not. nice find anyhow.

Misawa
12-04-2008, 11:32 PM
Some are useful. Although it's a lot quicker for me to type .net and .org than press shift and enter.

Nereo
13-04-2008, 01:07 AM
yeah this is all great and stuff, but by the time I have looked down to find the shift button, then the control button, then the enter button, I couldve typed in .org and already got to the site

Ashley
13-04-2008, 01:19 AM
Thanks for those, some will come in useful. +REP :)

N!ck
13-04-2008, 08:45 AM
I sometimes Ctrl + Click to open a link in a new tab.

Jamieb
13-04-2008, 08:53 AM
Thanks.. This will be usefull :)

Marcinator
13-04-2008, 08:57 AM
I've always wanted to know how to use the keyboard to switch tabs :D!

Florx
13-04-2008, 09:00 AM
yeah this is all great and stuff, but by the time I have looked down to find the shift button, then the control button, then the enter button, I couldve typed in .org and already got to the site

Most people who touch type know where the shift and CTRL keys are.

Good find, I knew all of these anyway. :)

I'l give ya some rep :P

samsaBEAR
13-04-2008, 09:25 AM
i can touch type, but its still a lot easier to type .net and .org in, as i am used to typing the letters out, not just pressing shift+ctrl+enter

Lycan
13-04-2008, 09:28 AM
already new them but i'm sure it'll help/intrest/cause arguments between others

=)

William93
14-04-2008, 02:10 PM
Thanks!

But sadly, I'll forget about these and never use them.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!