PDA

View Full Version : Best ISP Poll

iUnknown
12-04-2008, 05:07 PM
Hello,

I've gathered a few ISPs who compete for the top places.. and put them in a poll!

I'm just going around gathering as much advice as I can get as I'm due to change ISP soon.

I'm currently on AOL, that no way qualifies for this vote :P

Happy voting - leave your vote and reason in a post please :)

Marcinator
12-04-2008, 05:17 PM
Wasn't there a poll on the exact same topic a few days/weeks ago?

Stephen!
12-04-2008, 06:26 PM
Wasn't there a poll on the exact same topic a few days/weeks ago?

I recall there was one, yes

Jordy
12-04-2008, 06:31 PM
I think it's very difficult to do a fair ISP poll. Most people find one ISP and stick with it, a few people change a couple of times but no one has been around all the ISPs so it's not a fair test.

I've only ever been with Virgin media and it's been fine, but I've never used any other ISPs, they could possibly be better or worse, I just don't know so it's not fair.

It's not possible to do a fair ISP Poll in my opinion therefore I'm not taking part.

Decode
12-04-2008, 06:31 PM
I was with virgin - they were good
Im now with BT - they are not.

Swearwolf
12-04-2008, 06:32 PM
i ad BT, dey werent v good
now with virgin media, brilliant.

mangle
12-04-2008, 06:35 PM
BT Are alright for me. :]

today
12-04-2008, 06:41 PM
BT seem fine with me too.

Judge Judy
12-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Was with BT - really bad service
Went to Wanadoo (now orange) - they were just bad.
Now with Sky - really good for my family and I

Blue
12-04-2008, 06:51 PM
My Dads with BT, no problems for him as far as i know.
I've been with orange (Back when it was wanadoo) and just steer clear of them.
I'm going to O2 later this month, good deals for existing O2 customers, and they just seem the best imo

iUnknown
12-04-2008, 08:22 PM
What about the support? Is the support at virgin media any good because I heard it wasn't...

Florx
12-04-2008, 08:24 PM
Well to be honest I don't have any real problems with AOL now because its back up to speed and we are getting x2 - x3 the speed we are paying for.

The support is slow but it gets sorted when you get down to the Level 3 techs not the tards at the top.

Marcinator
12-04-2008, 08:27 PM
I was with virgin - they were good
Im now with BT - they are not.
I made the same mistake, going back to Virgin Tuesday :P!

iUnknown
12-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Well to be honest I don't have any real problems with AOL now because its back up to speed and we are getting x2 - x3 the speed we are paying for.

The support is slow but it gets sorted when you get down to the Level 3 techs not the tards at the top.

I'm on AOL at the moment and i'm getting bad speeds. I found the best way to get support is to go on the online help desk for live support, you don't have to wait hours on the phone line and you get through quicker.

Anyway... I was going to get BT but now the two main competitors are Virgin Media and Be There.

WhyamIhere?
12-04-2008, 08:37 PM
hey,

BT I currently have, it's okay apart from customer support. Virgin Media I absolutely hate, but I love BeThere.

iUnknown
12-04-2008, 08:38 PM
hey,

BT I currently have, it's okay apart from customer support. Virgin Media I absolutely hate, but I love BeThere.

Could you give some reasons? Why dont you like Virgin Media and what experience/why do you love bethere?

--ss--
12-04-2008, 08:39 PM
I was with NTL which was apauling with downtime and errors, then NTL got baoght by Virgin Media, I thought it would improve but it just got worse so we switched to Sky(Easynet) which seems to be great , and it's cheap too.

WhyamIhere?
12-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Could you give some reasons? Why dont you like Virgin Media and what experience/why do you love bethere?

Virgin Media advertising pisses me off to be honest and BeThere I had in my old apartment. Amazing service.

iUnknown
12-04-2008, 08:40 PM
I was with NTL which was apauling with downtime and errors, then NTL got baoght by Virgin Media, I thought it would improve but it just got worse so we switched to Sky(Easynet) which seems to be great , and it's cheap too.

Thanks for the post, I'm debating about sky... no one says it is bad but nobody loves it. Could you possibly do a speed test for me (www.speedtest.net) - that'd be great :) Much appreciated.

--ss--
12-04-2008, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the post, I'm debating about sky... no one says it is bad but nobody loves it. Could you possibly do a speed test for me (www.speedtest.net (http://www.speedtest.net)) - that'd be great :) Much appreciated.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/258641001.png (http://www.speedtest.net)
It's not too bad seeing as i'm only paying for an 8mb connection :).

Decode
12-04-2008, 08:52 PM
http://www.speedtest.net/result/258642275.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

BT

I pay for 2mb, and almost get that, but upload spead isnt that great.

They also limit torrent speeds to arround 100kb/s from 10am-10:30pm.

Edit, speed test downloading from south america

http://www.speedtest.net/result/258643691.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

The Professor
12-04-2008, 09:50 PM
http://www.speedtest.net/result/258641001.png (http://www.speedtest.net)
It's not too bad seeing as i'm only paying for an 8mb connection :).

I'm so jealous, mines only like 1500 download speed :'(

Yeah, I can see why AOL isn't on there. Once the contract thing has expired I'm forcing my mum to switch :P

N!ck
13-04-2008, 08:44 AM
It is best to see how good an ISP really is by doind a speedtest during peak times rather than in the morning when less people are using it. I voted Be* on the poll.

Firehorse
13-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Been with virgin media all along and their service has done nothing but improve immensly over the last year.

samsaBEAR
13-04-2008, 09:27 AM
I think it's very difficult to do a fair ISP poll. Most people find one ISP and stick with it, a few people change a couple of times but no one has been around all the ISPs so it's not a fair test.

I've only ever been with Virgin media and it's been fine, but I've never used any other ISPs, they could possibly be better or worse, I just don't know so it's not fair.

It's not possible to do a fair ISP Poll in my opinion therefore I'm not taking part.
agreed
unknown said aol didnt qualify for the vote, and i know a lot of people moan about aol, however ive had nothing but good service for 8-9 years. the only speed problems we've had is recently with the server changes

N!ck
13-04-2008, 09:37 AM
agreed
unknown said aol didnt qualify for the vote, and i know a lot of people moan about aol, however ive had nothing but good service for 8-9 years. the only speed problems we've had is recently with the server changes

It's because different ISPs vary depending on the area that you live. In some areas a certain ISP is crap and and another is good and in a different place it's the opposite.

Florx
13-04-2008, 10:07 AM
I'm not going to switch because

a) I'm too lazy and
b) Some people recommend Virgin, some recommend BT, some hate both, some like SKY and e.t.c.

I know that AOL are giving me x2 - x3 the speed we pay for so that's good. I won't get free speed from others possibly.

ALSO I know that AOL are on BT + TalkTalk servers / telephone terminals. So BT can't possibly be much better than BT where as I have heard that Virgin 'Limits speeds' WTH? If you pay for 24mb then you expect it all the time never mind "How much you use it", that's pathetic.

My philosophy - stick with what you know, OK so its **** but at least you can predict it. If you move then that service could be worse.

I know that companies suck up to new customers e.g. bskyb when new customers sign up they run to get the dish and box setup but if you are an exsisting customer then they say "Wait 3 - 4 weeks" just to reposition the dish. (I have experience with this).

So yeah I'm saying AOL is good. And I'm gonna stick with them.

John!
13-04-2008, 10:26 AM
I'm on some weird really small ISP, can't remember what I'm paying for though.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/258813412.png

I got virtually the same from New York:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/258814581.png

iUnknown
13-04-2008, 10:56 AM
I'm not going to switch because

a) I'm too lazy and
b) Some people recommend Virgin, some recommend BT, some hate both, some like SKY and e.t.c.

I know that AOL are giving me x2 - x3 the speed we pay for so that's good. I won't get free speed from others possibly.

ALSO I know that AOL are on BT + TalkTalk servers / telephone terminals. So BT can't possibly be much better than BT where as I have heard that Virgin 'Limits speeds' WTH? If you pay for 24mb then you expect it all the time never mind "How much you use it", that's pathetic.

My philosophy - stick with what you know, OK so its **** but at least you can predict it. If you move then that service could be worse.

I know that companies suck up to new customers e.g. bskyb when new customers sign up they run to get the dish and box setup but if you are an exsisting customer then they say "Wait 3 - 4 weeks" just to reposition the dish. (I have experience with this).

So yeah I'm saying AOL is good. And I'm gonna stick with them.

That's why I'm trying to find out if they have good support. About a year ago, I would never have thought of going to Virgin Media because all I heard about them was bad everything. Now they've improved their customer service, their technology and apparantly overall they've picked up a bit.

Apparantly be*/bethere are going downhill because O2 bought them and now customer support isn't very good for the majority of people..

BT is now the one going downhill, and bringing parts of AOL down with it.

AOL over the time I've been with them, I've never got support without waiting for atleast an hour without talking to nobody, then I have to go through loads of departments etc. and the speeds have been terrible when all other providers are getting super fast. For ages now I haven't had speeds reaching even 1 Mbps for download. I'm on AOL's fastest/platinum package...

So if I go for Virgin Media, which I've now found is probably the most expensive, which package should I go for? I'll probabaly go for the 16mbps one but I don't want them downgrading my support because I'm not on the highest package?

samsaBEAR
13-04-2008, 11:32 AM
That's why I'm trying to find out if they have good support. About a year ago, I would never have thought of going to Virgin Media because all I heard about them was bad everything. Now they've improved their customer service, their technology and apparantly overall they've picked up a bit.

Apparantly be*/bethere are going downhill because O2 bought them and now customer support isn't very good for the majority of people..

BT is now the one going downhill, and bringing parts of AOL down with it.

AOL over the time I've been with them, I've never got support without waiting for atleast an hour without talking to nobody, then I have to go through loads of departments etc. and the speeds have been terrible when all other providers are getting super fast. For ages now I haven't had speeds reaching even 1 Mbps for download. I'm on AOL's fastest/platinum package...

So if I go for Virgin Media, which I've now found is probably the most expensive, which package should I go for? I'll probabaly go for the 16mbps one but I don't want them downgrading my support because I'm not on the highest package?
whenever we've called aol for support, we've been connected within minutes.
maybe we're more valued customers :P

iUnknown
13-04-2008, 11:39 AM
whenever we've called aol for support, we've been connected within minutes.
maybe we're more valued customers :P

We've been with them for atleast 8 years too. The support representives have no brains... They kept asking me for my name and loads of details and things, all I wanted to ask was a little question about plugging a router in. They pretended like they didn't understand what I was saying.. so after I explain it again and again they just go "is that your name?" or something really stupid like that.

Florx
13-04-2008, 11:48 AM
We have been with them lets see about 10 - 12 years I think ish.

And most times support is great just slow to speak to the right person :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!