PDA

View Full Version : Important info for people on Virgin Media ( or any isp 20mb + ) using windows XP

Agnostic Bear
13-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Anywhere upto about 10mbps will not require this, anything above should unless your TCP/IP stack has already been changed

Vista does not require this, it optimizes the TCP/IP stack itself, and does a damn good job at it.

If you're noticing you're not getting your full 2300KB/s (or higher) ever, even during the night, your networking settings aren't optimized for the 20mbps speed, if you're on wireless then that's probably why, if you're not, then follow these steps:

1) Click the start menu
2) Right click "My Computer" and click "Properties"
3) Click the "Hardware" tab, then click "Device Manager"

Now leave this open, it's time to find the connection you're using:

1) Get to your control panel and change to classic view.
2) Double click "Network Connections"

Now look for a connection that's most likely called "Local Area Connection" or similar, if you use hamachi, make sure you don't choose the "Hamachi" connection, this has nothing to do with what we're about to do.

If you're like me and have multiple Ethernet ports, look for the one that is connected, if they are both connected, you'll need to do this for both of them.

note: if it says "Network Cable Unplugged" it's not connected.

Now hover over the connection icon that corresponds to your connection (the one that's connected) and take note of the little popup it'll show you, you'll need this in just a sec.

Now hop over to the "Device Manager" I told you to open earlier and expand the "Network Adapters" tab (just click the little +).

You'll see a list of currently installed network adapters, find the one that matches the name of the little popup you just saw, right click it, and click properties.

FOLLOW THESE STEPS VERY CAREFULLY OR YOU CAN PRETTY MUCH BRAKE YOUR INTERNET

1) Click "Advanced"
2) Click Link speed / Duplex Mode
3) Choose

100Mbps / Full Duplex

Then click Ok, your internet will disconnect then reconnect

This reconnection shouldn't take longer than about 10 seconds, then you'll be fully configured to use your new, delicious internets.

That is all, your internet is now speedy.

N!ck
13-04-2008, 03:23 PM
It should know what speed the ethernet is anyway.

Agnostic Bear
13-04-2008, 05:55 PM
It should know what speed the ethernet is anyway.

No it shouldn't, windows xp doesn't do that automatically.

Stephen!
13-04-2008, 07:45 PM
It does for me

http://i27.tinypic.com/25jk08g.png

DaveTaylor
13-04-2008, 07:55 PM
It does display it auto. As proven above.

Agnostic Bear
14-04-2008, 03:43 AM
Obviously none of you know about the TCP/IP stack, that's showing what the link speed is, that's not the stack speed, you need to change it manually if you're not getting the full speed.

Recursion
14-04-2008, 06:13 AM
Look, you don't need to do anything in the OP to get the full speed, you won't get the full speed simply because:

1. your line can't handle it
2. its peak time
3. your PC is as old as the hills
4. VM aren't giving you it.

Also, at least post the source.

Agnostic Bear
14-04-2008, 06:30 AM
Look, you don't need to do anything in the OP to get the full speed, you won't get the full speed simply because:

1. your line can't handle it
2. its peak time
3. your PC is as old as the hills
4. VM aren't giving you it.

Also, at least post the source.

I wrote it myself, I used it to increase my speed as I use 20mbps. It worked perfectly for me because Windows XP default install isn't optimized to handle high-speed internet. Virgin Media recommend it themselves, I don't remember where I read it but that's basically what they said to do.

Also if you're getting around 1400kb/s but never higher then those steps should help.

Recursion
14-04-2008, 07:05 AM
No point anyway, no server will let you download at over 1400kbp/s when its being used or is in a datacenter etc..

xxMATTGxx
14-04-2008, 07:24 AM
Look whoever you are, just leave it. You been proven now anyway, so move on in your life and think of a new thread. <_<

Agnostic Bear
14-04-2008, 08:51 AM
No point anyway, no server will let you download at over 1400kbp/s when its being used or is in a datacenter etc..

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j85/Enumeric/adasd.png

huh?

NEW-START
14-04-2008, 09:00 AM

huh?

Owned....

N!ck
14-04-2008, 03:51 PM

huh?

All that's showing is you have a connection capable of around 30Mbps.

Recursion
14-04-2008, 04:08 PM
Owned.... So don't call people owned when you don't know what you are talking about. So you just owned your self.

And thank you Nick :)

Agnostic Bear
14-04-2008, 04:29 PM

And the tweaks worked, I couldn't get over 1400KB/s before I modified my stack.

Robbie
14-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Just asked on Virgin Media newsgroups and got

"Robbie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Can anyone confirm changing "Link Speed/Duplex Mode" to "100Mbps / Full
> Duplex" will possibly speed some of my downloads up, or possibly speed my
> connection up for browsing and usenet downloading (20mb)

Changing between full or half duplex can sometimes improve the connection,
but it can also depend on the type of card installed...... it doesn't hurt
to try...

--
Kind Regards
Karl Rio
Virgin Media Technical Support
http://status2.virginmedia.com/

Stephen!
14-04-2008, 07:03 PM
Does it really matter I mean he's only trying to help people

Agnostic Bear
14-04-2008, 07:04 PM
http://www.virginmedia.com/help/20mb-broadband-optimisation.php

Robbie
14-04-2008, 07:05 PM
I know, I've done it, VM techs said that ^ which I see as it works, and some other newsgroup posts, VM techs confirmed it working.

N!ck
14-04-2008, 07:19 PM
As far as i can tell it is for network cards that can't manage to auto detect the speed oby their own accord.

Recursion
14-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Which usually means, cheapo PC.

Agnostic Bear
14-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Which usually means, cheapo PC.

What the hell, it's windows xp not the damn network card, go back to xp 101.

Hayd93
14-04-2008, 08:34 PM
What the hell, it's windows xp not the damn network card, go back to xp 101.
No thanks i will stick to osx if you dont mind.

xxMATTGxx
14-04-2008, 08:50 PM
No thanks i will stick to osx if you dont mind.

Haha, Well said. :8

DaveTaylor
14-04-2008, 08:53 PM
Haha, Well said. :8

ditto.

Agnostic Bear
14-04-2008, 09:07 PM
Yes because I want to use an operating system with no upgradable hardware (I'm talking changing everything when I need to) and no real games. And don't lecture me about bootcamp or similar if I wanted to run Windows, I'd have a pc... oh wait.

xxMATTGxx
14-04-2008, 10:22 PM
Yes because I want to use an operating system with no upgradable hardware (I'm talking changing everything when I need to) and no real games. And don't lecture me about bootcamp or similar if I wanted to run Windows, I'd have a pc... oh wait.

LMAO. Maybe you should read up a few things. Im sure Dan and whoever else will let you know what I mean :)

Recursion
15-04-2008, 06:39 AM

ditto.

[Chris]
16-04-2008, 07:16 PM
http://faqsmedia.ign.com/faqs/image/ani132.gif

"it has no real games, dont tell me about bootcamp" well.. for a start.. macs dont really need to be upgraded to run a new os...

Bootcamp on a mac is obviously better than what you have...
not all games are made for windows, look at some of the game cases - "windows/mac" EG:

http://www.wikidesign.co.uk/Geekanoids/uploaded_images/RCT3Soaked_3DBoxShot_Web-729282.jpg

Fail?

Recursion
16-04-2008, 07:19 PM
Wow that game is old, I don't see great games like Counter-Strike: Source or Half-Life, or even COD4 coming to Mac anytime soon...

[Chris]
16-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Wow that game is old, I don't see great games like Counter-Strike: Source or Half-Life, or even COD4 coming to Mac anytime soon...

unless you get bootcamp..

which isnt that bad really.. better than having no games

and about the bootcamp - mac has tha ability to run XP AND Osx.. i dont see your (lolcopters) computer doing that

Stephen!
16-04-2008, 07:24 PM
I run both OSX and XP..

Agnostic Bear
16-04-2008, 07:28 PM
;4657820']unless you get bootcamp..

and about the bootcamp - mac has tha ability to run XP AND Osx.. i dont see your (lolcopters) computer doing that

It'll run OSX when I decide it will run OSX, which will be never.

N!ck
16-04-2008, 09:36 PM
You can run OS X on a PC...

Why you so against Mac Lolcopters? You even tried it?

Agnostic Bear
16-04-2008, 09:47 PM
You can run OS X on a PC...

Why you so against Mac Lolcopters? You even tried it?

Many times, and every time I hated it more. 'tarded features on a 'tarded OS. I prefer windows for it's hackability (not cracking, learn your terminology).

N!ck
16-04-2008, 09:51 PM
Many times, and every time I hated it more. 'tarded features on a 'tarded OS. I prefer windows for it's hackability (not cracking, learn your terminology).

Since when i have i come out with incorrect terminology?

GommeInc
16-04-2008, 09:58 PM
Hmmm, this broke into a Mac and PC war quite quickly :S

I am fairly certain XP doesn't ask for you to change settings for 20mb connections, but I could be wrong...

Hoodstar
16-04-2008, 10:10 PM

COD4's out on mac next month I believe, along with UT3.

Recursion
17-04-2008, 05:57 AM
;4657820']unless you get bootcamp..

Bootcamp is bad, you get low framerates etc... And I cannot immagine COD4 being anywhere near as detailed with high FPS on Macs unless it was a Mac Pro. Also if I could be bothered to download the 4GB/8GB file or whatever it is with the patch I would but I don't want to, i'm happy with Linux and Windows.

COD4's out on mac next month I believe, along with UT3.

Taken long enough?

Agnostic Bear
17-04-2008, 07:07 AM
Since when i have i come out with incorrect terminology?

Aimed @ anyone that might come out and go "HACKER" :rolleyes:

N!ck
17-04-2008, 05:07 PM
Aimed @ anyone that might come out and go "HACKER" :rolleyes:

Which is fine, but i think you'll find that the hackability in Windows is basically none. It is certainly less than all of the other major OS's. For hackability give a Linux distro a try ;).

Agnostic Bear
17-04-2008, 05:22 PM
Which is fine, but i think you'll find that the hackability in Windows is basically none. It is certainly less than all of the other major OS's. For hackability give a Linux distro a try ;).

Yes because I want an operating system that can do nothing just the way I want it compared to XP (which is quite hackable you'll find) which I have my entire pc customized to exactly how I like it.

N!ck
17-04-2008, 05:25 PM
Yes because I want an operating system that can do nothing just the way I want it compared to XP (which is quite hackable you'll find) which I have my entire pc customized to exactly how I like it.

Customising it and hacking the OS are completely different things you'll find.

Agnostic Bear
17-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Customising it and hacking the OS are completely different things you'll find.

Aye, I meant the hardware, which linux has 0 support for.

Stephen!
17-04-2008, 10:34 PM
Well the 8800GT has been announced as an upgrade for the Mac Pro. Maybe gaming wont be so bad on it after all.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!