PDA

View Full Version : Wifi Stealing (unsecured network's)

Independent
14-04-2008, 11:32 PM
I was just wondering, is this illegal?

as I've moved ISP's atm, so I'm using someone's network, I'd name the SSID but it's their House number and road ):

But yeah.. Is this Illegal?

(NOT Hacking, I'm connected to an unsecured network, mean's that it doesn't require a WEP/WPA-PSK)

Stephen!
14-04-2008, 11:40 PM
As long as you don't do anything naughty I don't think you can get in trouble.

Callum.
14-04-2008, 11:42 PM
Don't think so, but just don't take the piss. I wouldn't want someone downloading loads from torrents or w/e off my connection without asking. Not that mine isn't secured. Doubt you'd like it either.

Antony
14-04-2008, 11:48 PM
Might be worth having a read of the below:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6958429.stm

It is a criminal offense.

Independent
14-04-2008, 11:49 PM
As long as you don't do anything naughty I don't think you can get in trouble.
If you mean like.. downloading off limewire, then it's too late.. But that's not exactly naughty :P

Don't think so, but just don't take the piss. I wouldn't want someone downloading loads from torrents or w/e off my connection without asking. Not that mine isn't secured. Doubt you'd like it either.

I know, I'm only using it for browsing.. I've so far found out their using Tiscali (:

Callum.
14-04-2008, 11:50 PM
Might be worth having a read of the below:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6958429.stm

It is a criminal offense.

He was sitting outside, this guy is inside...

Antony
14-04-2008, 11:52 PM
He was sitting outside, this guy is inside...

That has got nothing to do with it, the reason he was caught was because he was outside. If you read the news article you would see it states :

Det Con Mark Roberts said: "This arrest should act as a warning to anyone who thinks it is acceptable to illegally use other people's broadband connections."

Dishonestly obtaining free internet access is an offence under the Communications Act 2003 and a potential breach of the Computer Misuse Act.

The law is the same, inside or outside.

Zaub
15-04-2008, 08:42 AM
I'd think it is.. As you're using another persons internet limit which they pay for without permission.

:job2
15-04-2008, 09:03 AM
Technically it is illegal although tbh if you use it just to go on the new for a few hours every night i'm sure they wouldn't notice

Firehorse
15-04-2008, 09:08 AM
they can't find out unless they have the right software (or just look at the connected clients list in settings) Otherwise you won't show up as you aren't joined to a file sharing network.

The Professor
15-04-2008, 06:56 PM
It as illegal as downloading music is, technically illegal but you'll never get caught.

shizzle
15-04-2008, 07:08 PM
It as illegal as downloading music is, technically illegal but you'll never get caught.
You could throught IP address.

Jordy
15-04-2008, 11:09 PM
It as illegal as downloading music is, technically illegal but you'll never get caught.It's nothing like stealing music. Downloading music illegally is copyright infringement/theft, while internet piggybacking is under the computers misuse act.

Jakish
15-04-2008, 11:11 PM
Yes, it is illegal.

brandon
16-04-2008, 05:42 PM
It's probably illegal but there's a slim chance you'll get caught. I don't see a problem with it, it's the owners fault for not locking their network. Aslong as you have the courtesy not to download large files etc I don't see anything wrong at all.

[Chris]
16-04-2008, 06:44 PM
Meh, its illegal but i still browse youtube on a unsecured network on my touch (ipod) at the bus stop..

it seems to have dissapeared though

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!