PDA

View Full Version : Disk Brake Problem (Bike)

[Chris]
26-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Ok, well i got a new bike today, its a Raleigh so its a decent brand.. anyway, i put it together with no problem but i have noticed that the actual DISK rubs against the surround of the actual pad but i suspect this will wear down.. it makes the slight rubbing sound it should

ok so my problem is that when the breaks are pulled, they take a while to actully brake.. as in the pad is grease.. but i've been riding it to wear the pad down to see if theres any grease.. but it still "under performs" so.. has anyone an idea how i can make the brake actual brake before i hit something or get run over...

Ashhizzle
26-04-2008, 09:27 PM
Hydraluic or break cable?
&
Is it a constant rub, or a rub, Stop..... Rub, Stop.... Rub... Etc

:)

If u have a pic of the acctual break i'll show you which bolt's to tighten :)

[Chris]
26-04-2008, 09:31 PM
Take it too a bike shop, most will sort it for free... I could explain but you'd probably get confused :P

Halfords have a bad reputation... but they do brakes perfect, well my local does :P

If you want a go at doing it yourself just say, i'll try explain. :D

If its possible could you possibly try to explain as my local bike shops closed tomorrow, and i dont really want to risk riding to school on monday, tired and with a dodgy disk.. and also the disk is a little elongated.. not warped, just its sort of oval shape but only slightly.. is this worth getting looked at seeing as i only got it today and.. well you know

Ashhizzle
26-04-2008, 09:34 PM
Updated my above post...

Is it a constant rub?

If the disk is Bent in any way, take/send it back. Depending where you get it they might replace it for free.

[Chris]
26-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Updated my above post...

Is it a constant rub?

If the disk is Bent in any way, take/send it back. Depending where you get it they might replace it for free.

ok, its a cable type and. its not broken.. its just when everything is tightened to increase the "tightness" of the cable but it still takes a while to actully stop

i cant get any pictures at the moment.. but im going to tighten the nut to push the pad against the rotor a bit more.. and the rubbing is against the "casing" of the the actual brake its self

i was also thinking of buying a completely new set of disk brakes and rotors

Ashhizzle
26-04-2008, 09:42 PM
;4685649']ok, its a cable type and. its not broken.. its just when everything is tightened to increase the "tightness" of the cable but it still takes a while to actully stop

i cant get any pictures at the moment.. but im going to tighten the nut to push the pad against the caliper a bit more.. and the rubbing is against the "casing" of the the actual brake its self
Ok, A tad confused, i'd need to see it, but have u tried moving the cable through more, so where the cable is tightened(a moving arm with a bolt at the end) if you undo that, and pull it through, it should make the break sharper.

most rubs are just breaking the pads in...

hard to know whats wrong without seeing it :P

[Chris]
26-04-2008, 09:53 PM
Ok, A tad confused, i'd need to see it, but have u tried moving the cable through more, so where the cable is tightened(a moving arm with a bolt at the end) if you undo that, and pull it through, it should make the break sharper.

most rubs are just breaking the pads in...

hard to know whats wrong without seeing it :P

Ok,

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/194/diskuu6.png

Part 1 is where the longer part of the disk is rubbing (its slightly oval)
Part 2 is the disk
Part 3 is the pad which takes ages to slow the disk/wheel - its all been tightened
The pad isnt touching the rotor when its running, and when i turn the rotor seems to make the rubbing sound "happen".. it goes after a while but comes back when i've turned.. so i have no idea.. so is it worth finding any bike shop to get it "diagnosed" then taking it back to the shop..

Ashhizzle
26-04-2008, 10:00 PM
;4685709']Ok,

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/194/diskuu6.png

Part 1 is where the longer part of the disk is rubbing (its slightly oval)
Part 2 is the disk
Part 3 is the pad which takes ages to slow the disk/wheel - its all been tightened
The pad isnt touching the rotor when its running, and when i turn the rotor seems to make the rubbing sound "happen".. it goes after a while but comes back when i've turned.. so i have no idea.. so is it worth finding any bike shop to get it "diagnosed" then taking it back to the shop..
Your disk should be a perfect circle, if it's not sent it back.
For Now you could remove the disc, and just not use that break until you get hold of a new one.

On the pad, is there any chance you might have god wd40 on the disc, or any part of the break?

I'll update the picture for you. 1 sec

[Chris]
26-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Your disk should be a perfect circle, if it's not sent it back.
For Now you could remove the disc, and just not use that break until you get hold of a new one.

On the pad, is there any chance you might have god wd40 on the disc, or any part of the break?

I'll update the picture for you. 1 sec

Nope.. not used any oil or lube on it just incase.. so its how it should be when bought.. it was bought from argos btw, so it came in some rubbish cardboard box :l..

i might have another look at the actual rotor to see if theres any visable damage (including the shape) and the pads for grease or lube.. that could be making the pad just "slide" over the rotor

Ashhizzle
26-04-2008, 10:06 PM
;4685749']Nope.. not used any oil or lube on it just incase.. so its how it should be when bought.. it was bought from argos btw, so it came in some rubbish cardboard box :l..

i might have another look at the actual rotor to see if theres any visable damage (including the shape) and the pads for grease or lube.. that could be making the pad just "slide" over the rotor
Yeah, Spin the wheel. any slight defect in the disk, take it back :)

http://i32.tinypic.com/2rylj6v.png

4: Somwhere in the yellow area, on the moving arm theres a bolt, loosen that, and pull the cable through more. that should move the pad closer to the disc, causing it to bite.

[Chris]
26-04-2008, 10:07 PM
Yeah, Spin the wheel. any slight defect in the disk, take it back :)

http://i32.tinypic.com/2rylj6v.png

4: Somwhere in the yellow area, on the moving arm theres a bolt, loosen that, and pull the cable through more. that should move the pad closer to the disc, causing it to bite.

Thanks, thats on my checklist for tomorrow

Corporal
27-04-2008, 07:33 AM
Haha this is what you get for buying a bike from argos

What raleigh bike is it out of intrest?

If you post a pic i will try and help you, after all i work in a bike shop

[Chris]
27-04-2008, 12:45 PM
Haha this is what you get for buying a bike from argos

What raleigh bike is it out of intrest?

If you post a pic i will try and help you, after all i work in a bike shop

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3321126/Trail/C%24cip%3D1500011615.Sports%2Band%2Bfitness%3EC%24 cip%3D1500011625.Bikes%2Band%2Bcycling%3EC%24Age%3 D14+years+and+over.14%2Byears%2Band%2Bover%3EFC%24 Brands%3DRaleigh.Raleigh.htm

it was the only Decent one i find, as halfords bikes have exactly the same.. but cost more

Corporal
27-04-2008, 03:14 PM
;4686873']http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3321126/Trail/C%24cip%3D1500011615.Sports%2Band%2Bfitness%3EC%24 cip%3D1500011625.Bikes%2Band%2Bcycling%3EC%24Age%3 D14+years+and+over.14%2Byears%2Band%2Bover%3EFC%24 Brands%3DRaleigh.Raleigh.htm

it was the only Decent one i find, as halfords bikes have exactly the same.. but cost more
Yerr its ok for that price.
thats how much we would have it for probs but it would be set up.
Id of gone for a hard tail really though.
Erm can u show us whats up with it exactly? like spin the wheel and record it?

Ashhizzle
27-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Yerr its ok for that price.
thats how much we would have it for probs but it would be set up.
Id of gone for a hard tail really though.
Erm can u show us whats up with it exactly? like spin the wheel and record it?
Hard to know whats really wrong without seeing it aint it :P

Corporal
27-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Hard to know whats really wrong without seeing it aint it :P
Aye!
Its funny cos people try and do it on there phone.
Like some people go, ive got a bike..... and you feel like going REALLY WELL DONE WONDERD WHY U WERE RINGING HERE.
or they think u can remember a raleigh that came out in 1973 and the colour and everything

[Chris]
27-04-2008, 10:59 PM
it should be ok now, tomorrow im taking it to a bike shop to get it looked at, then taking it back if its in bad shape

Corporal
02-05-2008, 07:41 PM
did you get it sorted?

Digital
02-05-2008, 10:34 PM
All argos and halfords bikes are like this... Just let someone who knows what there doing have a look. All you need is a a allen key (size 4 i think) and just make sure that the pad are close to the disk and tighten the cable

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!