PDA

View Full Version : Maths Exam

PaulMacC
08-06-2008, 11:54 PM
Hello, Im in year 10 and last Tuesday I did a maths exam, it was okay I suppose, Im predicted a B/C, B if i work hard enough, I actually left revising to the last minute but I revised all day, I put alot of effort into revising it, the exam itself was okay, I left 2-3 questions out and guessed about 5. I think I did alright though when I think that I get crap results, happened the past 2-3 years. If I do bad I'll get moved down into a lower class most likely foundation as Im in higher tier now, the thing is I understand all the work, but when the exams come, Im clueless.
Any tips etc

H
09-06-2008, 12:17 AM
Hello, Im in year 10 and last Tuesday I did a maths exam, it was okay I suppose, Im predicted a B/C, B if i work hard enough, I actually left revising to the last minute but I revised all day, I put alot of effort into revising it, the exam itself was okay, I left 2-3 questions out and guessed about 5. I think I did alright though when I think that I get crap results, happened the past 2-3 years. If I do bad I'll get moved down into a lower class most likely foundation as Im in higher tier now, the thing is I understand all the work, but when the exams come, Im clueless.
Any tips etc

I was told by my maths teacher after year 10 mocks that I will barely get a C in my GCSE. So I said f you i'ma show you I can get better than that.

I done past exam papers, PAPER AFTER PAPER AFTER PAPER.

I got an A.

oo and I forgot to say, this worked because even though you get the work in class, when it comes to applying what you know to a question it's much harder especially when you don't know what the question is asking you. Especially with GCSE it's easy.. if you look at all the past papers you will see the questions that ALWAYS come up ie ALWAYS a page of algebra so if you learn how to answer the questions that always come up you'll breeze a C.

le harry
09-06-2008, 12:34 AM
It's your on fault. Leaving study to the last day isn't a great technique even if it is a whole day. Unless you're naturally bright, which i'm assuming you're not, you should do small amounts of study a few weeks before hand and then as the exam draws closer you can build on what you've studied and you'll have time to ask teachers/parents for help with things you don't understand.

Inseriousity.
09-06-2008, 06:19 AM
oo and I forgot to say, this worked because even though you get the work in class, when it comes to applying what you know to a question it's much harder especially when you don't know what the question is asking you.

I agree with that. Then if you get your teacher to explain what you were meant to do, it's probably something you know perfectly and you've just lost a couple of marks!

I bet your maths teacher was chuffed, H. :)

Meanies
09-06-2008, 10:52 AM
Any tips etc

I always think I've done bad, yet still come out with As.

Also, the GCSE exams are easier for maths now, this year they got rid of the intermediate level (between foundation + higher). So now, theres a lot more easy questions on the higher paper and only a few A/A* ones towards the back. Also because of this, the grade boundaries have been lowered :)

Loqo
09-06-2008, 06:13 PM
I'm in year 10 and I have myn on Thursday. Is it alot of scatter graphs and statistics? We have been working for that. Teacher said to the class that we could all most probably be able to achieve A's. But I am the exact same as you, I revise and know it all but when it comes to the actually exam. I forgot it all!

PaulMacC
10-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Okay, I got 3 results.
47% - Psychics
58% - Chemistry
51% - Biology
I didnt revise for some subjects, I do all the work and stuff just these exams are pointless, got above average anyway.
I am revising 2-3 months before GCSE exams on every subject.
Find out Maths tomarrow, I'll be happy if I got above 45%

CJW93
10-06-2008, 05:22 PM
Mine on thursday dreading it :S

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!