PDA

View Full Version : MCC gives switch-hit green light

Mr.Sam
17-06-2008, 02:31 PM
I thought it was stupid that they even thought about making switch-hits banned :rolleyes:

The MCC has said the controversial switch-hit tactic used by England's Kevin Pietersen against New Zealand is legal within the laws of the game.
Pietersen hit two sixes after changing his stance to left-handed but some commentators had asked whether it was in keeping with the spirit of the game.
"The MCC believes that the switch-hit stroke is exciting for the game of cricket," said a statement.
"It conforms to the Laws of Cricket and will not be legislated against."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/7456149.stm

Janczyk
17-06-2008, 03:01 PM
What's the point in banning something that only a handful of players can do and even then there's only like a 10% chance of them perfecting it. Silly people.

StefanCampbell
17-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Tbh ONLY Pietersen can do that shot, + there's a bigger chance that he'd mess the shot up and get out, so it's an advantage for the bowler to. So it's all fair in my eyes.

Janczyk
17-06-2008, 03:10 PM
Tbh ONLY Pietersen can do that shot, + there's a bigger chance that he'd mess the shot up and get out, so it's an advantage for the bowler to. So it's all fair in my eyes.
Pietersen is like the 4th player to do that...

Geraint
17-06-2008, 03:26 PM
Yes, if batters can do that, they should be able to do but what if a bowler ran up to the crease and spin bowled it when he's a seamer? The bowler is bowling to a right handed person but when he changes to left handed what can he do?

Janczyk
18-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Yes, if batters can do that, they should be able to do but what if a bowler ran up to the crease and spin bowled it when he's a seamer? The bowler is bowling to a right handed person but when he changes to left handed what can he do?
You have to declare what type of bowl you are doing [as for spin/seam] and whether you are going over or round the wicket whereas the batsman bats however he wants in any ball.

Some people say that's a disadvantage but it's not, because to be fair both teams bat and bowl so it's the same rules for both teams...

Geraint
18-06-2008, 03:29 PM
You have to declare what type of bowl you are doing [as for spin/seam] and whether you are going over or round the wicket whereas the batsman bats however he wants in any ball.

Some people say that's a disadvantage but it's not, because to be fair both teams bat and bowl so it's the same rules for both teams...

You don't have to declare if you bowl over the wicket or around. They were saying on Sky Sports that batsman wouldn't like it if a bowler change the way he bowled.

Janczyk
18-06-2008, 03:35 PM
You have to declare that due to the fact of self-erosion of the wicket and no, a batsman may not like it but it doesn't happen. Like I said, New Zealand are allowed to do the same if they wish, it's not just one rule for England or KP.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!