PDA

View Full Version : Business Studies Help

iMegz.
19-06-2008, 08:12 PM
For part of my project I've got to write a paragraph explaining what a trade union is and what it is to be a member of a trade union?

Can anyone help please?

Many thanks :)

Scotteh
21-06-2008, 08:59 AM
A trade union is a group of workers formed to protect the rights and advance the interests of its members concerning wages, benefits and working conditions.

"What it is to be a member of a trade union" I completely don't understand what you mean by that :S

iMegz.
23-06-2008, 06:22 PM
Oh sorry, It was suppose to say..

Explain what a trade union is and what benefit it is to be a member of a trade union? :]

Sorry for the confusion :]

Many thanks to anyone who can help :]

summerloving77
24-06-2008, 01:33 PM
Trade unions are organisations that represent the interests of workers. They campaign for better levels of pay and improved working conditions. In addition they often provide educational and training opportunities and try to ensure equal rights for all workers.
There are 69 unions in the Trades Unions Congress, representing 6.7 million workers in the UK. Traditionally unions have strong links with the Labour Party although these ties have been loosened in recent years. they help worker to complain if they have problems the trade union head will then go to the boss and tell what the workers want! rather than the workers going straight to the boss (a go between)

what benifit?
Trade unions help thousands of people at work with a wide range of different problems.
Examples of the some common issues in the workplace today include accidents at work, unfair discrimination in the workplace, pension schemes closing and manufacturing / service sector jobs being transferred to overseas locations.
Trade unions are crucial in defending workers' jobs, pay and conditions, acting to improve working conditions. Unionised workplaces are often safer places to be and their employees are often better paid. Workers in unionised workplaces are also more likely to benefit from training and development programmes. they can also strike if they are unhappy but their are rights and responsibilities before they act.

hope this helps :)

Carlsta
24-06-2008, 03:54 PM
A trade union are a group of people that stand for the rights of employees to make sure that they get equal pay etc.

Like what scotteh said :)

Zuar
24-06-2008, 04:07 PM
All been said above,
but there's always a section on them in the newspapers... so if you wanted to read about one I'm sure you could find it. There's one about teachers and council workers... like today or yesturday.

Holofoil
02-07-2008, 08:14 PM
Trade Unions also unite sometimes, in order to do trade blocks, such as going on strike until employers agree to increase wages etc.
Such as the famous London Dock Strike in the early 20th century. They carried it out so peacefully that the government had to give in, because they had no reason to use force because they weren't breaking the law.

iMegz.
12-07-2008, 09:27 AM
Thank you for all your help I have repped you all :]

I got 98% on my project which I was pretty pleased about :]

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!