PDA

View Full Version : School stereotypes

Holofoil
26-06-2008, 09:26 PM
I think there's a lot of misunderstanding between schools these days. I went to a comprehensive school from year 7 - 9, and they stereotyped Grammar school kids as nerdy and boring people who'll grow up to be accountants and computer engineers. I'm now in an all boys Grammar school, and they all stereotype the comprehensive school kids as stupid and violent. In both the comp and grammar school I've been to, they all stereotype Private/Public school kids as arrogant and rich students, who pay their way through education.
From my own experience of being to 2 of the different types of school, I know none of this is true. Yes, there are some stupid and violent kids in some comps, and some boring nerds in my Grammar school, but that's a tiny majority.
Have any of you also had an experience like that? What's your opinion?
I made a Poll to see the numbers too.

N-Dubz
26-06-2008, 09:40 PM
I dont believe that, a school is a school at the end of the day.
They don't think your rough/violent because you used to go to a Comprehensive School do they?

Its just how they see the school not the actual people inside, its hard for a school to get rid of a reputation once it has it - espically a Comprehensive School.

Elasticated
26-06-2008, 09:42 PM
i went to a public school.

Eamonn
28-06-2008, 01:55 PM
I went to a comprehensive school and btw to some who may be confused a public school is a school where you have to pay to go, not public as in for anyone in the general public LOL!

Technologic
28-06-2008, 02:11 PM
I go to a private school and yeah there are some posh kids but they're form down south, everybody who's a northerner is nowhere near posh.

However there are some arrogant people

Crimson
28-06-2008, 02:22 PM
My cousins go to public schools - they're not rich. I could have gone, but I didn't want to. They're really chavvy... so.. :-P

Mint
02-07-2008, 11:55 PM
I just went to a good old public school.

Hushie
03-07-2008, 04:10 PM
I go to a mixed grammar school :) Couldn't survive without girls lol

Alexicles.
03-07-2008, 05:29 PM
I go to a Mixed Comprehensive. :D

Alkaz
03-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Mixed comp. Nothing wrong with it, parents pay tax so I dont see the point in paying more for private and I dont like grammar schools, atleast in mixed you get to intergrate and talk to girls etc.

GommeInc
03-07-2008, 07:14 PM
I've come from a private school :D Absolulte fun at absolutely horrendous prices!

Holofoil
03-07-2008, 07:35 PM
I dont like grammar schools

How do you know you don't like Grammar Schools? Do you mean you can't get in, or you just don't like the idea of being in one?

I just went to a good old public school.

Don't you mean Comprehensive? Public school is a fee paying school - same as private.

Hushie
03-07-2008, 10:41 PM
Mixed comp. Nothing wrong with it, parents pay tax so I dont see the point in paying more for private and I dont like grammar schools, atleast in mixed you get to intergrate and talk to girls etc.

Not all grammar schools are single sex.

Fehm
04-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Public School xD ... Science based lmao xD

Holofoil
04-07-2008, 10:00 PM
To the person who goes to the all boys grammar, what do you think of it?

OmgitsAmanda
04-07-2008, 10:06 PM
I went to comp school for 1 year in year 7, but then my school got merged with another thus making an academy. Guess I go to an academy then? Been going there for 2 years - currently in year 9.

Geraint
04-07-2008, 10:26 PM
All the schools that I can think of around here are Comprehensive schools. Well, mine was "bla dee blah Comprehensive school" but not it's "bla dee blah Community School" as it "opens" itself to the community after school and in the holidays.

Blinger1
05-07-2008, 07:26 AM
****. i go to a public school, not comprehensive what ever that is...

And there is a lot of stereotypes at my school!

Leetzgirl
05-07-2008, 07:52 AM
I go to a science school mixed.

*dunno what to choose in the poll?

TAYLOOOOR1
05-07-2008, 09:24 AM
I go to a mixed schoool (:

Which is pretty guurd because theres girls Woohoo !

lol <3

PriceTags
05-07-2008, 10:52 AM
I go to a science school mixed.

*dunno what to choose in the poll?

Comprehensive.

Nereo
05-07-2008, 11:49 AM
I go to a mixed grammar school :) Couldn't survive without girls lol

I didnt know there was such a thign as a mixed grammar school, I was under the impression they were always single sex up until the sixth form :S

luce
05-07-2008, 12:54 PM
One im no dork and i have always gone to a mixed Grammar school. and yeah i think Private school of people who pay there way up and comprehensive schools as chavs. becuase that is actually how it is in Guernsey Lol but maybe not where you are i dunno there are some sound people who go to comprehansive schools on HxL who are cooler then the grammar kids i think its Just Guernsey :):P Guernsey has girl privte boy privte mixed grammar and loads of mixed comp

MJJ
05-07-2008, 04:04 PM
I go to a mixed grammar school.
I couldn't stand going to an all girls school, and yeah there are some people who aren't very smart in my school, including me. ^_^

timROGERS
06-07-2008, 07:52 PM
I go to a mixed comp, but when I came to the school it was a sort of naughty selective comprehensive. All the other schools around us think we're all geeks who have no fun, but then again we think they're all stupid chavs :P

Barmi
07-07-2008, 09:36 AM
I finished school a few years back, but I went to a bog-standard comprehensive. Looking back at the school now, it's clear why stereotypes exist!! :P

helenhiya
07-07-2008, 09:51 AM
i go to a public, there's no choice for me though cos it's the only one on my island. I don't really see the purpose in private school though.

Cajak
07-07-2008, 11:26 AM
I'm in an International School because I can keep studying Italian mother-tongue. It's a sort of private school, but the stereotype is far from what our school really is.

A lot of people's got parents working for a Company, who pay a percentage of the school fees. So actually our school is absolutely NOT full of rich and/or arrogant people ... only some yr9 kiddos :D

N-Dubz
07-07-2008, 01:08 PM
I go to a comp school, never talk about other school's really 'cept most people think if you go to a grammar or private school you are most likely a neek.

FlyingJesus
07-07-2008, 01:23 PM
I was at an all-boys school, I actually found it to be a really good experience. The fact that there were no girls there didn't mean no action as anyone social enough to get a girlfriend would have friends and connections in other schools (there's an all-girls school and two mixed that are all fairly local) but also being only male it meant that we weren't concentrating on trying to impress the girls all the time. "Boys will be boys" is perhaps the right expression, as we would pretty much act as men do - we drew penises everywhere, talked about farts and explosions, hit everyone and generally bonded with the entire year group.
I think it's different since my year left but back then everyone in my year got on, even goths and chavs could have civilised talks and stuff. When people tell you that your school years are the best of your life, believe them, because I wish I'd realised it sooner instead of doing the typical "I hate school" thing.

Immenseman
07-07-2008, 04:57 PM
I think it's hard not to generalise and put them all into one group. Unless you've been to all types of school then you're not going to know exactly what it's like so you'll just assume all people who go to private schools are s****, that's bound to happen. I still do think that comprehensive schools are 'rougher' and private schools are 'snobbier'. Although, I'm sure there are some rough kids who go to private schools and some snobby kids who go to comprehensive. Anyway, unless you've experienced a variety of schools you're bound to stereotype. I've only ever been to a comprehensive and we had a variety of students i.e clever, thick, rich, poor, snobby, rough etcetera.

GommeInc
07-07-2008, 10:30 PM
I think it's hard not to generalise and put them all into one group. Unless you've been to all types of school then you're not going to know exactly what it's like so you'll just assume all people who go to private schools are s****, that's bound to happen. I still do think that comprehensive schools are 'rougher' and private schools are 'snobbier'. Although, I'm sure there are some rough kids who go to private schools and some snobby kids who go to comprehensive. Anyway, unless you've experienced a variety of schools you're bound to stereotype. I've only ever been to a comprehensive and we had a variety of students i.e clever, thick, rich, poor, snobby, rough etcetera.
Hmm, interesting because I don't stereotype schools :P As far as I am aware everyone is different and schools don't necessarily make the majority snobbier etc. I went to a private school, which was a huge mixture, the grammar school was a mixture of different personalities (although loads of people in my class found them snobbish) and the public/comprehensive school near me has a mixture, even though it's aiming at under-achievers. I can see where the idea comes from, how much you're paying and the lessons taught is what gives this idea, really.

leah
08-07-2008, 12:29 AM
Mixed comprehensivee. :D

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!