PDA

View Full Version : A Level Art - What to do?

Holofoil
30-06-2008, 09:23 PM
I've been asked to 'prepare' my Art A level during the Summer Holidays, so that when I get back in September, I'll know exactly what to do, and get going immediately.

We have 3 Projects to do, and I know that one is going to be Life Drawing.

Unfortunately, I'm clueless for the other 2.
I wanted to sort of follow the theme - People, Landscapes, Still Life.

Can any A Level Students give me advice, or tell me what they did? I need to take photos and get any possible ideas down in my sketchbook.

Greatful for any advice :) I'd prefer advice from 6th formers and Art Students, since they'd be more familiar with how it works.

Edit: Oh ye, +rep for decent advice :)

PaintYourTarget
30-06-2008, 09:25 PM
I've moved to A2 now but I think I'm on a seperate exam board to you.

The best way to do it is just to create a huge brainstorm/mind map and keep adding ideas throughout the summer... Investigate the branches that interest you and get photos from them?
Primary sources and your own photography are always best =[

Any more questions and I'll try and get round to answering then best I can =]

PaintYourTarget
30-06-2008, 09:26 PM
I've moved to A2 now but I think I'm on a seperate exam board to you.

The best way to do it is just to create a huge brainstorm/mind map and keep adding ideas throughout the summer... Investigate the branches that interest you and get photos from them?
Primary sources and your own photography are always best =[

Any more questions and I'll try and get round to answering then best I can =]

Javascrypt
30-06-2008, 09:27 PM
If one is landscape, the other maybe architecture or culture.

Walk about, take some photo's of things of nature, buildings.
Sketch them and add some colour, Make the best effort you can.

Thats my advice.

Holofoil
30-06-2008, 09:29 PM

ye, I want to do something to do with architecture, since that's what I want to go in to

PaintYourTarget
30-06-2008, 10:40 PM
Architecture is good 'cause it's so diverse and it's everywhere.
Can be quite representational aswell - bland tower blocks can represent the mediaocracy of life inside compared to like, the grandeure and reagalness of a palace and whatnot.

Ugawa
01-07-2008, 10:35 AM
I'm doing AS level art so i duno if I can be any help but...

I think whatever you do you should make sure your passionate about what you're drawing. Your idea for still life, landscape and people is good as it is a different range of art, if you know what i mean :P

XX

FlyingJesus
01-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Eww nasty, glad I didn't have to do life drawing at A level lol. I'm far too abstract for that, it really bores me. However, if you're made to draw people and not just any "still life" (ie: fruits bowls and all that crap) then I'd suggest fat people because there's more to them, so you can get more out of it and it'll improve your perception skills better.

Holofoil
02-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Ye. We get fat old wrinkly models in to the Art Shed to draw. I wonder where they come from? But ye, there's far more to them than baby skinned emotionless models.

I'm going to France for 2 weeks in the Summer, so I'll be taking a lot of photos then. At some point I'm going to go back to see the primary school I used to go to, 10 years ago. I guess you didn't need to know that though.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!