PDA

View Full Version : I drive this at work

kurtis5561
05-07-2008, 10:29 AM
Yes you guessed it I am a train driver (still learning), and I LOVE IT!

http://a55.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/114/l_622fa52df40a55ac4e5648b6fca06c36.jpg

http://a278.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/69/l_0d77abb1146a6196e8399ed214d297c5.jpg

http://a767.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/9/l_886bdf6f9acbfa1640861672ec34a926.jpg
Drivers cab

http://a739.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/4/l_f9ebd1198e0d8c7f8d650c946a2e980a.jpg
Voyager

Oh feel free to ask me any questions about national rail :)

Dan!
05-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Yes you guessed it I am a train driver (still learning), and I LOVE IT!

http://a55.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/114/l_622fa52df40a55ac4e5648b6fca06c36.jpg

http://a278.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/69/l_0d77abb1146a6196e8399ed214d297c5.jpg

http://a767.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/9/l_886bdf6f9acbfa1640861672ec34a926.jpg
Drivers cab

http://a739.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/4/l_f9ebd1198e0d8c7f8d650c946a2e980a.jpg
Voyager

Oh feel free to ask me any questions about national rail :)

Shame at the company because their useless :D 6hours standing up on the train :@

i just love train i applyed to work for local train company london Midland :D

i work on these do these count ;)

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x203/danielgreen77/trains.jpg

HAHA and that guy showing me something because im trainee fireman ;)

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x203/danielgreen77/trains2.jpg

jesus
05-07-2008, 05:20 PM
how do you go about getting a job like that? need any qualifications?

Corporal
05-07-2008, 05:58 PM
Im guessing you've never travelled on a train before if you think they have qualifications.

Adam!
05-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Dan you told me you didn't work there anymore... lol

Well done, if it's a job you enjoy then there isn't anything wrong with it.. Personally, it's not for me :p

cocaine
05-07-2008, 06:55 PM
looks nice and cosy in that cab :D

xxMATTGxx
05-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Nice train to drive there. Whats your pay etc? Any nice details you wanna tell us :P

JackBuddy
05-07-2008, 07:12 PM
I'd hate to be a train driver because of the amount of people that throw themselves infront of the train, happens all the time on Southwest trains.

Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you lol.

Andys
05-07-2008, 07:18 PM
What's your salary? :P

JackBuddy
05-07-2008, 07:31 PM
Well SouthWest train drivers get paid £40,447 for a 37-hour, 4.4-day week. So I imagine it would be higher for that sort of train.

Andys
05-07-2008, 07:35 PM
Well SouthWest train drivers get paid £40,447 for a 37-hour, 4.4-day week. So I imagine it would be higher for that sort of train.
Wow, that's a nice salary.
Is it easy?

Recursion
05-07-2008, 09:43 PM
How hard can it be? You've only got to start and stop ;p

xxMATTGxx
05-07-2008, 10:58 PM

Oh so, you never heard of speeding up and slowing down? Opening doors im guessing? and putting the wipers on when it rains?

kurtis5561
05-07-2008, 11:53 PM

I have 2 degrees, which my TOC required

Im guessing you've never travelled on a train before if you think they have qualifications.

I'm more qualifed than you think.

looks nice and cosy in that cab :D

it is :)

Nice train to drive there. Whats your pay etc? Any nice details you wanna tell us :P

I get free travel on any train operating company, Free first class on my own TOC and free refreshments

I'd hate to be a train driver because of the amount of people that throw themselves infront of the train, happens all the time on Southwest trains.

Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you lol.

I had a "one under" on my second day and its not nice, I had one the other week, SWT have the routes where it happens alot sadly

What's your salary? :P
At the moment its about £49,500 because I am still learning

Its very hard I am responsible for all the passengers safety on board

Oh so, you never heard of speeding up and slowing down? Opening doors im guessing? and putting the wipers on when it rains?
The guard is incharge of door control.

There is alot to being a train driver

cocaine
06-07-2008, 08:40 AM

and you think thats meant to be hard?

Dan!
06-07-2008, 09:36 AM

ROFL, dont make me laugh if i recall form what my mate have told me who driver train you need atlest C and above

no not always :D

Wow, that's a nice salary.
Is it easy?

ROFL no far form it tbh i dont no if this apply to all TOC but most of the driver can fix basic thin if they go wrong they have to follow speed stop att he right mark and station full line knowledge and train knowledge it take good few months very hard trainning they are also trained on walk on the track and railway safely

guard open doors matt ;) well train managers in the case of virgn

and with regards to "One unders" sandly the term for people jump in front of train well not always jump but you get the idea hehe..

SWT had few in last few months tbh.

oh and kurtis where are Base/Depot. not sure if virgn driver base at depots.

xxMATTGxx
06-07-2008, 10:01 AM

I never said it was hard. Its like flying once you know what to do its easy. But he hardest part is that you have to look after every single person on that train and thats the important part of the job, its the safety of them. Nice job you have there, will be looking forward to some more pictures!

kurtis5561
06-07-2008, 10:41 AM

I will tell you what, I will let you drive the train one day, I know where all 879 signals are on the route I run, I have peoples lives in my hands, I can fix most common faults on the trains.

ROFL, dont make me laugh if i recall form what my mate have told me who driver train you need atlest C and above

You need to have a degree

no not always :D
Your on about a really bad TOC if you don't get at least £30k. But to be fair tram drivers are on £18k and trained in some aspects to the same standards

ROFL no far form it tbh i dont no if this apply to all TOC but most of the driver can fix basic thin if they go wrong they have to follow speed stop att he right mark and station full line knowledge and train knowledge it take good few months very hard trainning they are also trained on walk on the track and railway safely
It takes about 6 months before your allowed on a route, and track walking is the most dangerous part of the job

guard open doors matt ;) well train managers in the case of virgn
I said that already, I can override if needbe. and most guards have been rebranded as conductors or train managers.

and with regards to "One unders" sandly the term for people jump in front of train well not always jump but you get the idea hehe..
Until you have had one you don't know the half of them

SWT had few in last few months tbh.
As I said SWT have routes that are known for them

oh and kurtis where are Base/Depot. not sure if virgn driver base at depots.Manchester and we are based at the stations mainly

Ask me anything about trains I most things and ask about fares aswell :)

xxMATTGxx
06-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Sweet your based at Manchester. I know your still in training but what routes do you think you be doing? Is it a good job to do, enjoy it etc? As a small child I always wanted to be a train driver. But never really thought about it.

kurtis5561
06-07-2008, 12:08 PM
Sweet your based at Manchester. I know your still in training but what routes do you think you be doing? Is it a good job to do, enjoy it etc? As a small child I always wanted to be a train driver. But never really thought about it.
I love it, best job in the world

I am currently doing

MAN-EUS
EUS-EDB
MAN-EDB

cocaine
06-07-2008, 12:12 PM
50k :| are you being serious?

Adam!
06-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Seems a bit high for a train driver? :s

Most pilots are on that a year for at least 10 years!!!

kurtis5561
06-07-2008, 03:22 PM

Seems a bit high for a train driver? :s

Most pilots are on that a year for at least 10 years!!!

A head teacher where I llive is on £57K and a tesco store manager is on about £44k

Although I don't get get that amount last year I walked away with about £41k

If you get in with a good TOC the perks are amazing!!

You
17-07-2008, 11:11 AM
The fact you posted Virgin Voyagers & Pendolino proves to me that you're not a driver. They will not hire you as you're under the legal age.
You certainly don't earn 50k as that is way more than ANY TOC pay any of their staff, even for Virgin.
Actually, you don't need a degree to become a train driver either.

The start of pay for Drivers who are learning is just over 14k, it is definatley no more than 17k.

le harry
17-07-2008, 11:53 AM
The fact you posted Virgin Voyagers & Pendolino proves to me that you're not a driver. They will not hire you as you're under the legal age.
You certainly don't earn 50k as that is way more than ANY TOC pay any of their staff, even for Virgin.
Actually, you don't need a degree to become a train driver either.

The start of pay for Drivers who are learning is just over 14k, it is definatley no more than 17k.
don't piss on his parade :(

You
17-07-2008, 11:58 AM
He can post his information if he wants, he may have Virgin info but i can guarantee he aint a driver, perhaps a train manager (as the legal age is 18) or works in the on board shop (legal age of 18 again).

GommeInc
17-07-2008, 12:01 PM
I think someones telling huge lies... I've been doing some research and the Trainee Salary is usually £17,347 pa. The maximum is about £34,000 pa. It's not a high paying job, there's less of a risk than driving a bus and they get roughly the same pay as a Trainee Train Driver.

You
17-07-2008, 12:03 PM
I think someones telling huge lies... I've been doing some research and the Trainee Salary is usually £17,347 pa. The maximum is about £34,000 pa. It's not a high paying job, there's less of a risk than driving a bus and they get roughly the same pay as a Trainee Train Driver.
Some TOC can exceed 34k, it can reach 40 to 45 but he claims 50k for a LEARNER. Which is clearly **. The fact is, you have to go through a training program that lasts up to 12months, maybe more, even after you do your training, you're still not allowed to drive a passenger train without someone else being with you for a few more months. So if he is driving them now, it would mean he started training at about 19, which is ********.

That person is having a laugh I think.

Minimum age for ANY train drivers on network rail lines is 21
(the only exception is london underground which is 18 )

50K is highly fabricated, £15K-16K is about right as you rightly say but it does differ from TOC/FOC, but no firm pays trainee drivers £50K.

No degree required to be a train driver although some firms (like southern I think) make you take a customer service course after you've commenced employment, the TOC/FOC's do require you to have a good standard of english and maths.

The job of a train driver (in some instances) isn't really one where you need a certain amount of railway experience before hand, as many firms recruit drivers externally off the street for joe public and TRAIN them to drive trains.

6 months of training is also made up too, again dependant on the TOC is can be 10-12 months and with some firms like SWT it can be 18 months.

Hope that helps

James

PaintYourTarget
17-07-2008, 12:12 PM
And he says he has 2 Degrees, each of which would have taken 3 years and cost a shedload. Add that to the 12 months training and to the minimum age of 18, and that'd make him 25... hmm.

I have 2 degrees, which my TOC required

You
17-07-2008, 12:15 PM
And he says he has 2 Degrees, each of which would have taken 3 years and cost a shedload. Add that to the 12 months training and to the minimum age of 18, and that'd make him 25... hmm.
Very good point!!

He claims to drive a Voyager & a Pendolino, which are two completely different types of trains. One being an EMU and one being a DEMU, both would require seperate training.

Technologic
17-07-2008, 01:22 PM
I would just press every button to see which one blows the thing up

You
17-07-2008, 01:33 PM
I would just press every button to see which one blows the thing up
I hope you wasn't trying to be funny because you failed.

Technologic
17-07-2008, 01:52 PM
I hope you wasn't trying to be funny because you failed.Nope, i really would just sit there and press all the buttons

kurtis5561
17-07-2008, 04:19 PM
Very good point!!

He claims to drive a Voyager & a Pendolino, which are two completely different types of trains. One being an EMU and one being a DEMU, both would require seperate training.

Actually both have the same control sets, (both are made by bombadier transport) and if you drive a pendolino you can drive a 221 super voyager, Please do not troll the threads I am in,

I have offered you a viewing of my railway ID cards, You denied, Please leave me alone. Thanks!

Anyway, This thread is now going to be closed if anyone else wants any info about trains please contact me.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!