PDA

View Full Version : crouch eventually makes his move

Heart Break Kid
11-07-2008, 02:38 PM
taken from skysports

Peter Crouch insists his best is yet to come after joining Portsmouth from Liverpool for a fee believed to be in the region of £11million.

Crouch underwent a medical on Friday morning before he was officially unveiled at a press conference shown live on Sky Sports News.

The England striker scored 19 goals in 39 matches in his first spell at Portsmouth in the 2001/02 season before moving on to Aston Villa and then Southampton.

And after ending his three-year stay at Liverpool, Crouch is now looking forward to the challenge at Portsmouth and he admits the club has undergone a sweeping transition since his previous period at Fratton Park.

Fantastic
"It's fantastic to be back and the club is going places," said Crouch. "I've worked here before and he (Redknapp) gets the best out of me. I'm pleased to be back.

"The best is still to come in my career and it will be here at Portsmouth.

"They have built a good side and there have been big changes. The club is unrecognisable to the last time I was here.

"It is a very strong side which can compete against anyone. The club is moving forward."

New signings
It is now expected the 27-year-old will link up with England colleague Jermain Defoe in attack as Pompey manager Harry Redknapp looks to improve on last season's FA Cup victory and eighth-placed Premier League finish.

"I'm delighted to have Peter back," added Redknapp. "He's a terrific player and I never expected to see him back here.

"He's an established England international and to bring him back is a real coup. He has great all-round ability. He's not in the England team for nothing."

Redknapp has also hinted that the arrival of Crouch will not be the last of his activity in the transfer market as Pompey continue to look for new signings ahead of this season's Uefa Cup campaign.

"We're always looking to improve and we'll see where we go. We'll keep looking around," concluded Redknapp.

Jordie
11-07-2008, 03:27 PM
i highly rate crouch and its good to see an all english partnership upfront for pompey. you dont hardly get to see that nowadays in football:)

Geraint
11-07-2008, 03:29 PM
Crouch and Defoe upfront. Good partnership, looks like Nugent is on his way out and Kanu to the bench. Crouch has shown what he can do when he starts for Liverpool and it should be a good signing.

Heart Break Kid
11-07-2008, 03:32 PM
that is very true

StefanCampbell
11-07-2008, 04:03 PM
England will benefit from this greatly, Pompey are looking good with Ben Sahar and Kanu on the bench - watch them next season.

Andys
11-07-2008, 06:46 PM
He's a pile anyway.
Pompey waste of money :P

CJW93
11-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Nugent is underrated imo. He will leave and join a newly promoted side

Smiddy
11-07-2008, 07:31 PM
I don't see why Nugent should leave, those three up front would be a good force. Niko on the left, Utaka on the right, Diarra in the middle. It all sounds good to me :)

Geo23
11-07-2008, 08:16 PM
---------James----------
Johson ----- Distin ----- Cambell --- ?

SWP (News sigining) ------ Utaka --- Diarra ----- Krnajacar

------------ Defoe ---- Crouch -----

I think thats how it might look

Smiddy
11-07-2008, 08:19 PM
---------James----------

SWP (News sigining) ------ Utaka --- Diarra ----- Krnajacar

------------ Defoe ---- Crouch -----

I think thats how it might look
Left-back, Herman Hreiddarsson or Lauren :)

I don't believe SWP will come to Pompey, but it'd be ace if he did.

Minstrels
11-07-2008, 09:53 PM
More like...
---------James----------

? ------ Utaka --- ----- Krnajacar
Defoe

------------ Benjani ---- Crouch -----

SWP and Diarra are off to City, Benjani is in the deal for Diarra along with a cool 4.5m.

Geraint
11-07-2008, 09:59 PM
More like...
---------James----------

Defoe

SWP and Diarra are off to City, Benjani is in the deal for Diarra along with a cool 4.5m.

However much I can't see Benjani going back to Portsmouth, they wouldn't play two massive strikers together upfront. It would either be Crouch and Defoe or Benjani and Defoe.

Minstrels
11-07-2008, 10:01 PM
However much I can't see Bejani going back to Portsmouth, they wouldn't play two massive strikers together upfront. It would either be Crouch and Defoe or Benjani and Defoe.
Hey, when Catflaps your manager anything can happen. He can play two lanky giants upfront together and win by match fixing. ;)

Janczyk
14-07-2008, 01:09 PM
He's a pile anyway.
Pompey waste of money :P
How much do you know about football, seriously?

He's the best striker England have got.

StefanCampbell
14-07-2008, 04:22 PM
More like...
---------James----------

Defoe

You're nothing special and never will be, so stop acting like your above everyone else, and stop acting like MCFC are the best when they're clearly a mid-tabled side.

SWP Is going to Portsmouth, there team is looking good atm, and with a great manager, which is why they won the FA cup, again, what have MCFC won? erm.. nothing :O!

Janczyk
14-07-2008, 05:57 PM
You're nothing special and never will be, so stop acting like your above everyone else, and stop acting like MCFC are the best when they're clearly a mid-tabled side.

SWP Is going to Portsmouth, there team is looking good atm, and with a great manager, which is why they won the FA cup, again, what have MCFC won? erm.. nothing :O!
Source please.

graffiti
14-07-2008, 05:58 PM
Croush and Defoe will work well
Defoes got a ncie cross and crouch is always in for the headers

Geraint
14-07-2008, 06:30 PM
Croush and Defoe will work well
Defoes got a ncie cross and crouch is always in for the headers

For all the height he has got, Crouch is better with his feet.

Browney
14-07-2008, 07:11 PM
How much do you know about football, seriously?

He's the best striker England have got.

I prefer Defoe to Crouch (and I prefer Rooney to Defoe but hey-ho) but hopefully Crouch will play first team football this year. And having two england strikers playing together can't be bad.

Janczyk
14-07-2008, 07:19 PM
I prefer Defoe to Crouch (and I prefer Rooney to Defoe but hey-ho) but hopefully Crouch will play first team football this year. And having two england strikers playing together can't be bad.
It's not about preference though :P

Browney
14-07-2008, 07:27 PM
It's not about preference though :P

ha fair enough, its just that I think Crouch is useless for some reason, which is why I said hopefully he'll play 1st team football so I can see more of him. :D

Janczyk
14-07-2008, 07:30 PM
ha fair enough, its just that I think Crouch is useless for some reason, which is why I said hopefully he'll play 1st team football so I can see more of him. :D
Like I said, best striker England have got :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!