PDA

View Full Version : Going to london :D

Kevin
13-07-2008, 11:50 AM
Well, basically I'm Irish and I'm going to London for the weekend, can anyone recommend any places to go? Relatively near Covent Gardens,

Kev ;]

Thread moved by Biohazard (Forum Moderator): Moved from 'Discuss Anything'.

cocaine
13-07-2008, 11:58 AM
go to all the sights :P

london eye
big ben
madame tussauds

all that jazz

i dont particularly like london myself.. maybe its just cus i live real close to it.
but its fun if you dont live near there :D

Kevin
13-07-2008, 12:01 PM
it's a bit like holidays, when you're in forign countrys, and there's loads of waterparks located near, the locals dont enjoy it as much as we do, because there used to it

JackBuddy
13-07-2008, 12:01 PM
go to all the sights :P

london eye
big ben
madame tussauds

all that jazz

i dont particularly like london myself.. maybe its just cus i live real close to it.
but its fun if you dont live near there :D
I live close to it too, but I love going. Even when I can't find anything to do there is allways something going on.

Go to the theatre.

ideabox
13-07-2008, 12:19 PM
Well, basically I'm Irish and I'm going to London for the weekend, can anyone recommend any places to go? Relatively near Covent Gardens,

Kev ;]

Close to the science museum is this 4D cinema with some cool films on show. You MUST go there! MUST! :eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_clap:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Alkaz
13-07-2008, 12:22 PM
To be a heat magazine :P
Im joking but ye do as many as the tour things as you can, london dungeons, tower of london, london eye, madam teussads, tour of parliament, buckingham palace, trafalgar square, boat ride on thames etc.

Kevin
13-07-2008, 12:28 PM
I'm looking for basically so far

London eye - Fast pass - Not waiting 2 hours xD
Madame Tussuad
Science Museum
London dungeon - Is it any good and worth going ?

I'm looking for the cheapest tickets possible, does anyone know where i should go? (Online if possible)

Alkaz
13-07-2008, 12:29 PM
Type in london attractions in google and I am sure that loads will pop up for you to have a nosey at.

JackBuddy
13-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Science museum isn't worth a visit, although it is free. lastminute.com is probably your best shot.

You could allways go to Thorpe Park, it is only 30 mins or so from London Waterloo station.

N-Dubz
14-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Try goin to the Theatre, they have such amazing production's and good turn out's.

I went to see Lion King, amazing.

London Eye isn't all its cracked up to be but it will give you a good view, London Dungeon's is alright its got alot better then afew year's ago. Science Museum is just waste of a vist, considering its just boring but maybe because I've seen it more then once it's boring. Tower of London is a very good attraction, same with most castles in London.

Stephen08
14-07-2008, 04:44 PM
To be a heat magazine :P
Im joking but ye do as many as the tour things as you can, london dungeons, tower of london, london eye, madam teussads, tour of parliament, buckingham palace, trafalgar square, boat ride on thames etc.

To be a heat magazine? lolll

Edited by Alkaz (Forum Moderator): Please do not post off-topic.

William93
14-07-2008, 07:10 PM
I'm going to London in December to go on the London Eye, see a performance of Grease (if I wanted to see that here, I'd look at my friend's hair), going to the London Dungeon and have a really posh coach there or something.

Just a few suggestions for you.

Aarcn
14-07-2008, 07:14 PM
Go to the Thearte and see Joseph ?
London Eye ?
Buckingham Palace ?

GommeInc
14-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Covent Garden? Then you MUST see Harrods which is on the Tube and you get off at Nottinghill. Leiscester Square can be good too, they sometimes they have events in the park. A good place to eat is The Gourmet Pizza Company on Embankment, you get off the Tube at Embankment, cross the river and go left and keep walking for a while till you come to it. You can't miss it, just keep walking :P

It depends what you want to see, Trafalgar Square, London Eye, Buckingham Palace, Westminster and a few other buildings are the usual places, but the London Eye isn't too amazing, but if you want a good view of the city, you may aswell try it :)

JackBuddy
14-07-2008, 07:56 PM
Covent Garden? Then you MUST see Harrods which is on the Tube and you get off at Nottinghill. Leiscester Square can be good too, they sometimes they have events in the park. A good place to eat is The Gourmet Pizza Company on Embankment, you get off the Tube at Embankment, cross the river and go left and keep walking for a while till you come to it. You can't miss it, just keep walking :P

It depends what you want to see, Trafalgar Square, London Eye, Buckingham Palace, Westminster and a few other buildings are the usual places, but the London Eye isn't too amazing, but if you want a good view of the city, you may aswell try it :)
Harrods is by Knightsbridge station isn't it?

Technologic
14-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Go and see spamalot if you can get tickets

Mitch4?
14-07-2008, 08:29 PM
madame tussurds and get a photo with miley cyrus :)! x

Xarea
16-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Thorpe Park is a tad outside London, but well worth it if your an adrenaline junkie.

edible
16-07-2008, 07:32 PM

Is Nottinghill nearer to Harrods than Knightsbridge? Cos I'm going to London on Friday too, and I was looking for where Harrods is and on my map thing, it said get off at Knightsbridge.

I'm mainly going to London for theatre and shopping, but i'll give you more.

Theatre - it depends what takes your fancy? I'd go and see any of them really. There's a box type thing in Covent Garden where you can get cheap but good seats to West End shows.
Hairspray, Wicked, Joseph, Billy Elliot, Avenue Q, The Sound of Music, Dirty Dancing, Mamma Mia!
They're probably the best ones, but there is Spamalot, The Lion King, Grease (not had good reviews, I believe!), Lord of the Rings, Into the Hoodz (the thing that George Sampson's going to be in over the summer!). There's loads, it just depends what takes your fancy. If you're looking for Comedy, go and see Avenue Q or Spamalot. If your looking for like your typical stories, Joseph, The Sound of Music, The Lion King.
If your looking for something different, try Wicked. If your looking for dance, see Hairspray, Billy Elliot or Dirty Dancing. And if you're looking for like... the typical cheesy musical, defo Grease.
When I go to London, I'm seeing Billy Elliot, The Sound of Music, Wicked and either Mamma Mia! (but i'm not sure if there is tickets!, Joseph or Hairspray (again for both!) It really does.

Erm, as for shopping.. defo take a trip down Oxford Street, round Covent Garden, Harrods, Hamley's and even Camden.
Whilst I'm down, I'm also going to Madame Tussauds, there's a 2-for-1 thing somewhere. I'm going on the ducktours, which will be fun.

Buckingham Palace.
Covent Garden.
Madame Tussauds.
BBC Centre tours (QUITE CHEAP AND REALLY GOOD!)
Ducktours
London Eye.
Sight-seeing buses.
Tower of London
Hampton Court
Hyde Park.
Leicester Square
Football Stadiums, there's a few near London. Chelsea and the Emirates for example. Chelsea's ground is right by the Chelsea tube station.
Thats all I can think of, but have fun!

BlueEyedSarah
16-07-2008, 08:37 PM
I do not like London much but its good to see Big Ben and London Eye and the London Bridge.

cocaine
16-07-2008, 09:04 PM
I do not like London much but its good to see Big Ben and London Eye and the London Bridge.

yeah frankfurt is so much better ;D

GommeInc
16-07-2008, 11:30 PM
Is Nottinghill nearer to Harrods than Knightsbridge? Cos I'm going to London on Friday too, and I was looking for where Harrods is and on my map thing, it said get off at Knightsbridge.
Hmmm, might be that. I remember getting off at that stop, but I might of walked to somewhere then to Harrods :P Camden is another place to check out, it's interesting :P

RhymeThatGrime
16-07-2008, 11:45 PM
London Dungeon is scary :P

BlueEyedSarah
17-07-2008, 11:03 AM
yeah frankfurt is so much better ;D
I think Stuttgart is much better :P

edible
17-07-2008, 03:35 PM
Hmmm, might be that. I remember getting off at that stop, but I might of walked to somewhere then to Harrods :P Camden is another place to check out, it's interesting :P
Ah, thank you for that! I'll see which ones closer for me when I look at my map later.

London Dungeon is scary :P
I've been and I didnt really find London Dungeon that scary to be perfectly honest.

I go to London tomorrow :D

Geraint
17-07-2008, 04:04 PM
Football Stadiums, there's a few near London. Chelsea and the Emirates for example. Chelsea's ground is right by the Chelsea tube station.

The nearest tube station to Chelsea is Fulham Broadway, strangely enough.

If your planning on flying over from Ireland and your plane is late, you might see some of the sights in London if you circle. There is also a Harrods in Heathrow, if you don't want to go to it in London. Personally, I think you should go on the London Eye to see the sights, the sightseeing tour, Buckingham Palace and the boat ride on the Thames. That way your seeing most of London without having to get individual trips to places.
If your a cricket fan, you might want to pop down to the Oval to see the last day of play between Surrey and Durham. I wouldn't recommend Maddame Tussauds.

JackBuddy
17-07-2008, 04:08 PM

If your planning on flying over from Ireland and your plane is late, you might see some of the sights in London if you circle. There is also a Harrods in Heathrow, if you don't want to go to it in London. Personally, I think you should go on the London Eye to see the sights, the sightseeing tour, Buckingham Palace and the boat ride on the Thames. That way your seeing most of London without having to get individual trips to places.
If your a cricket fan, you might want to pop down to the Oval to see the last day of play between Surrey and Durham. I wouldn't recommend Maddame Tussauds.
Erm, the Heathrow one is tiny, like all airport ones.

By the way, Knightsbridge is the closest tube station to Harrods.

Geraint
17-07-2008, 04:35 PM
Erm, the Heathrow one is tiny, like all airport ones.

By the way, Knightsbridge is the closest tube station to Harrods.

Better than nothing.

Kevin
17-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Going tomorrow :D

Alkaz
17-07-2008, 10:05 PM
Good luck and hope you enjoy your self. I expect a report back :)

edible
17-07-2008, 10:10 PM

Oh, that's proper strange that then, I could've sworn it was by Chelsea. Thanks for that! Can I ask why you wouldnt recommend Madame Tussauds?

Btw, thanks JackBuddy for that. Will be handy to know whilst I'm there.

Going tomorrow :D
SAME :D
wow, what a coincidink.

Geraint
17-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Oh, that's proper strange that then, I could've sworn it was by Chelsea. Thanks for that! Can I ask why you wouldnt recommend Madame Tussauds?

Going around looking at waxworks of famous people isn't exactly something I'd called fun.

RhymeThatGrime
17-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Yeah but last time I went I was around 8 and now I'm 14 I think I must go again. :P

iJoe
17-07-2008, 10:52 PM
Close to the science museum is this 4D cinema with some cool films on show. You MUST go there! MUST! :eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_clap:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

the science museum is AMAZING! GO GO GO GO GO lol

Have fun :P

GommeInc
17-07-2008, 11:14 PM
Going around looking at waxworks of famous people isn't exactly something I'd called fun.
And they've got alot of cracks in them apparently.

The History Museum can be interesting, but it'll be very very busy now.

JackBuddy
18-07-2008, 01:00 PM
The iMax isn't that great, there are rarely any decent films on there. They're usually documentaries and stuff.

partie2
18-07-2008, 03:39 PM
pretty much everywhere is easy to get to from convent garden as its a wuite central location for london. check out tower bridge and camden town :)

Kevin
18-07-2008, 06:44 PM
in dublin airport right now! in departures. Plain is heading off at 8:50 i think

Kevin
21-07-2008, 09:56 AM
My Trip to London =-]

Ok, i was staying in a house very close to Holland park tube station, which was quite handy. as we only had to walk down the road to go anywhere. on both days, saturday and sunday we bought full day tickets for the tube. zone 1 + 2. which worked out really cheap because we were on and off every now and again :-]

Saturday
On the first day, we went on the london eye, which was ok but it wasent as good as i thought it would be, when we were up there we got pictures of buckingham palace and the big ben, which is a really cool building.
After we went on the london eye, we got the tube to madame tousads which was better than i ever could have expected. everything in the musiem looks real. i never doubted any of the work in there, its good aswell that you can go up to the models and take pictures with them, there isint barriers around many of the works. and ovcourse my sister got a picture with miley cirus, as to be expected :D. Then we went into that scary tunnel thing which broke down while we were in it, so we just had to walk on through it with the lights on ;[. then we got to the part with the london cabs, and you went through virtual london. that ride was amazing and better than i could have expected. it apparently cost them £10 million to make the ride.
After all that, we went for a bitta shopping, and went to the Abercrombie shop (good clothes but a bit squised in with all the people inside,) the apple shop (was wicked, and the glass staircase is really cool.) and we went to some other shops aswell. and TGI fridays when we were finished shopping :]]
Then we went back to Holland park to get changed out of our clothes ect. and then my dad suprised us, and brought us to wicked. which was really quite wicked (excuse the cheesy wording) i really enjoyed wicked when i thought i wouldent, the two main actors were brilliant, and it was a good performance all round.

Sunday

On sunday, we went to the science musiem early in the morning and spent alot of time there viewing a couple of the exibitions. We went to the iMax cinema in there and watched a 3D movie about dinosours. I really liked the interactive stuff at the science musiem, they were the best bit.
After we had finished in the science musiem, we went to Hamleys, which is MASSIVE. but i wasent impressed with the shop, alot of the stuff there was overpriced, and quite kiddish which is too be expected with a toy shop :P but still...

Then we came back and got ready for our flight out of Gatwick, which was delayed 1hr and a 1/2. which isint too bad considering the radars at dublin airport arnt working at full copasity, and its causing a lotta trouble with times.

So that was my all around journey to london (I think).
I loved london and hope to go back there in the future. sooner rather than later :D!

Kevv

JackBuddy
21-07-2008, 03:13 PM
Glad to hear you had a good time.

Oooh, the new batman film is showing at the iMax soon, hmm

edible
23-07-2008, 03:41 PM
My Trip to London =-]

Ok, i was staying in a house very close to Holland park tube station, which was quite handy. as we only had to walk down the road to go anywhere. on both days, saturday and sunday we bought full day tickets for the tube. zone 1 + 2. which worked out really cheap because we were on and off every now and again :-]

Saturday
On the first day, we went on the london eye, which was ok but it wasent as good as i thought it would be, when we were up there we got pictures of buckingham palace and the big ben, which is a really cool building.
After we went on the london eye, we got the tube to madame tousads which was better than i ever could have expected. everything in the musiem looks real. i never doubted any of the work in there, its good aswell that you can go up to the models and take pictures with them, there isint barriers around many of the works. and ovcourse my sister got a picture with miley cirus, as to be expected :D. Then we went into that scary tunnel thing which broke down while we were in it, so we just had to walk on through it with the lights on ;[. then we got to the part with the london cabs, and you went through virtual london. that ride was amazing and better than i could have expected. it apparently cost them £10 million to make the ride.
After all that, we went for a bitta shopping, and went to the Abercrombie shop (good clothes but a bit squised in with all the people inside,) the apple shop (was wicked, and the glass staircase is really cool.) and we went to some other shops aswell. and TGI fridays when we were finished shopping :]]
Then we went back to Holland park to get changed out of our clothes ect. and then my dad suprised us, and brought us to wicked. which was really quite wicked (excuse the cheesy wording) i really enjoyed wicked when i thought i wouldent, the two main actors were brilliant, and it was a good performance all round.

Sunday

On sunday, we went to the science musiem early in the morning and spent alot of time there viewing a couple of the exibitions. We went to the iMax cinema in there and watched a 3D movie about dinosours. I really liked the interactive stuff at the science musiem, they were the best bit.
After we had finished in the science musiem, we went to Hamleys, which is MASSIVE. but i wasent impressed with the shop, alot of the stuff there was overpriced, and quite kiddish which is too be expected with a toy shop :P but still...

Then we came back and got ready for our flight out of Gatwick, which was delayed 1hr and a 1/2. which isint too bad considering the radars at dublin airport arnt working at full copasity, and its causing a lotta trouble with times.

So that was my all around journey to london (I think).
I loved london and hope to go back there in the future. sooner rather than later :D!

Kevv

I'm back from London too.
Ah, you went to see Wicked? I went for my 3rd time last night, and the new Elphaba is proper amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!
My trip to London was great, and also to whoever said Covent Garden is the centre of London kinda thing, they're right!

Billy Elliot, Joseph, Wicked and The Sound of Music were amazing :')
wowowowowow, I still love London.

Kardan
23-07-2008, 03:47 PM
You wern't impressed with things because they were expensive?

What do you expect... It's London, everything is over priced.

edible
23-07-2008, 05:09 PM
You wern't impressed with things because they were expensive?

What do you expect... It's London, everything is over priced.
and it is Hamley's....

cocaine
23-07-2008, 05:12 PM
god i hate london

but glad you had a good time :D

JackBuddy
24-07-2008, 08:27 AM
god i hate london

but glad you had a good time :D
How can you say that?!

In my eyes it is the best city in the world.

cocaine
24-07-2008, 08:29 AM
How can you say that?!

In my eyes it is the best city in the world.

ohh dear

and i just dont like it, tramps, streets stink of piss, crime, drugs, knives and just generally a dodgey place to be in sometimes.

JackBuddy
24-07-2008, 08:56 AM
ohh dear

and i just dont like it, tramps, streets stink of piss, crime, drugs, knives and just generally a dodgey place to be in sometimes.
There are places alot worse off than that lol. Those things are what you expect in every city.

cocaine
24-07-2008, 09:24 AM
There are places alot worse off than that lol. Those things are what you expect in every city.

yeah and thats why i dont like london..

Pazza
25-07-2008, 02:11 PM
When I went, we went to see Joseph and Wicked (Wicked was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING) "And we go high defying gravityyyyyyyyy".

We went london eye (If u wanna go, get a fast track ***)

Meals? Planet Hollywood FTW!

Tower bridge & of london.

Madame tussauds

:D

edible
26-07-2008, 07:51 PM
When I went, we went to see Joseph and Wicked (Wicked was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING) "And we go high defying gravityyyyyyyyy".

We went london eye (If u wanna go, get a fast track ***)

Meals? Planet Hollywood FTW!

Tower bridge & of london.

Madame tussauds

:D
Joseph and Wicked are absolutely amazing :') (it's not "and we go high defying gravity" though, aha! you might be thinking, "I think I'll try defying gravity" or... "Just you and I, defying gravity" sorry, had to tell you :P!)

London Eye; I'd defo get a fast track ticket, it's worth it cos it saves time instead of waiting for like an hour?
Madame Tussauds; The queues are ridiculous, but worth it. It was really good, and the diary room there is hilarious!

Kevin
26-07-2008, 09:43 PM
u can also get fast track with madame tousadds. but there is also quite a line for fast track :P fast track aint so fast, but compared to the normal line its a praise.

edible
27-07-2008, 03:35 PM
u can also get fast track with madame tousadds. but there is also quite a line for fast track :P fast track aint so fast, but compared to the normal line its a praise.
or when your queuing up for tickets, you can by a wax hand and move to the other line, or if you get asked a question by that DJ with the big afro and sparkley jacket who thinks he's cool and you get it right, you get moved to the front!

yido
27-07-2008, 08:01 PM
tour of white hart lane :D

Casuals
27-07-2008, 08:18 PM
wembley tour mate

Metric1
29-07-2008, 01:51 AM
Corrie.

Janczyk
29-07-2008, 12:01 PM
Corrie.
That's Manchester babe.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!