PDA

View Full Version : I'm sick of the ECB

Janczyk
19-07-2008, 07:32 PM
Why do they constantly keep picking Vaughn - "the most successful captain" maybe but he does nothing for the team. The only significant contribution he's made that I can distinctivly remember was the 166 against Australia 3 years ago and even that was a one off. He is constantly getting no runs and I question his captaincy sometimes with how he chooses to play his bowlers.

Also - in a pressure test match against South Africa that it matters if they win or not, they have at least 4 experienced bowlers that they could pick but no, they go for the roof-tiler who isn't even English and has no experience at international level. Most sports players who develop late aren't as good as those who developed early and this isn't really a surprise that Pattinson isn't that good. He took a wicket, granted but give Caddick a ball and he probably would've took one. Darren was expensive in his first few overs as well.

Oh, and another thing - I hate it the way that the ECB, Vaughn and the English 'fans' think that Flintoff is the team. Yes, he did well in the Ashes 3 years ago and yes he is a good player but he's not the only one. He took a wicket and failed with the bat - Collingwood does that regularly so I don't see how magic Freddie is any different to be fair. I'd give Dalrymplem a go at test level and drop Panesar - especially at Headingly as it doesn't spin much.

Rant over.

Geraint
19-07-2008, 09:56 PM
I'm not being biased or anything, but I think that the best bowler England have is Simon Jones.

Janczyk
19-07-2008, 10:00 PM
That's an incredibly biased view as the best bowler we have is Ryan Sidebottom [ICC rankings don't lie] but yes, Simon Jones is one of the bowlers that I would've chosen over Pattinson.

Smiddy
20-07-2008, 03:36 PM
I think Michael Vaughan's true captaincy skills are being pushed in this test, he's using Pattinson and Broad almost as "part-time" bowlers compared to Flintoff and Anderson, who have contributed near enough half of the bowled overs in the first innings, that's staggering.
You could of used Monty more, yes, but he would of just been filling overs, maybe getting 1 or 2 wickets; we needed more strike bowling, which I believe currently is either Simon Jones or Chris Tremlett (heaven forbid, did I just say that? Wolverine?!), Tremlett, who was in the squad, was chosen over by a run of the mill bowler, whereas Tremlett could of offered us Bounce and more pace. MAKES SENSE.
To be fair I think they should of dropped Ambrose and given the gloves to a batsman, probably Strauss. Then kept Colly and brought in Flintoff, that way we'd have 6 options of decent bowling, 5 of which would of been pace, of a sort.

Vaughan did score a century... a year ago. Since then I think he's got 1, maybe 2 half centuries. Brilliant. Bring in Pietersen as captain!

Edit - just as I said that, Broad came back on and got the wicket of AB, then Panesar got Harris straight after. What I'd tell you ;)

Janczyk
20-07-2008, 04:16 PM
AB already got what he wanted though - same with Prince.

Geraint
20-07-2008, 04:19 PM
England need to bat for 2 days to get a result.

Janczyk
20-07-2008, 04:36 PM
England need to bat for 2 days to get a result.
Tea tomorrow they'll be all out.

Smiddy
20-07-2008, 05:41 PM
AB already got what he wanted though - same with Prince.
Oh fully aware of that, I'm criticising the selection panel and suggesting how it could of been improved for this performance :)

Geraint
20-07-2008, 05:59 PM
50-2 at close. Doesn't look too good.

Smiddy
20-07-2008, 06:05 PM
Anderson's record of most innings not out will come to end this time round then, unless he pulls off a minor miracle and scores a double century.

Janczyk
20-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Broad can hit some runs so everyone up to Pattinson must get milestones and a couple of hundreds.

Smiddy
20-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Anyone wanna put a miracle bet of Flintoff to get a score of 150? I can't see it happening after all the bowling he's done now.
I can see Broad getting a nice little 50 again. Ambrose to get a duck. Cook to get a hundred.

Few predictions :)

Janczyk
20-07-2008, 08:45 PM
Predictions?

All out by Tea. SA win by an innings and some runs.

Smiddy
20-07-2008, 08:56 PM
See I don't think that will happen this time around, I can see an Athers-like innings, someone trying to bat through 2 whole days being defensive but racking up runs, that someone being Cook.

But I can see us losing by an innings :)

Janczyk
20-07-2008, 08:59 PM
I bet you some rep that they're all out before the day ends.

Ha.

Bring it Smidders :8

Geraint
20-07-2008, 09:03 PM
The South African bowling has been very good this test. England's high score in the other test was mainly due to South Africa's poor bowling.

Smiddy
20-07-2008, 09:06 PM
I bet you some rep that they're all out before the day ends.

Ha.

Bring it Smidders :8
oh noes not rep, that's fine dear, I'll stick with a batting throughout day 4 then lose on day 5. :)

The South African bowling has been very good this test. England's high score in the other test was mainly due to South Africa's poor bowling.
Oh I do agree with you there, but sometimes determination can play a good role in it.

Janczyk
20-07-2008, 09:07 PM
I'm surprised that Harris played this one to be fair - I thought they would've gone with Nel considering it is Headingly.

Geraint
20-07-2008, 09:10 PM
I'm surprised that Harris played this one to be fair - I thought they would've gone with Nel considering it is Headingly.

The guys a slow left armer. Maybe they've realised they have the bowling attack so they wanted to up the runs in their innings.

Smiddy
20-07-2008, 09:14 PM
I honestly thought they'd drop Ntini for this test, but I suppose since he's got 2 wickets in this innings already he's justifying his place.
Smith can bowl spin if they really wanted him to, Mckenzie can do a little bit also.

Geraint
20-07-2008, 09:18 PM
I honestly thought they'd drop Ntini for this test, but I suppose since he's got 2 wickets in this innings already he's justifying his place.
Smith can bowl spin if they really wanted him to, Mckenzie can do a little bit also.

I prefer the South Africans with Gibbs but I suppose his replacement, Amla, has been justifying his place over recent months. I've always rated Ntini. He can always pull something out of the bag.

Smiddy
20-07-2008, 09:25 PM
Gibbs replacement was Mckenzie dear :P Amla's been around for ages, since England player SA in 2004 for sure.
Mckenzie played lower down the order before his return earlier this year (4 year gap since when he last played regularly, during which time he played for Durham for a bit)

Janczyk
20-07-2008, 09:27 PM
The guys a slow left armer. Maybe they've realised they have the bowling attack so they wanted to up the runs in their innings.
Harris can't bat to save his life.

Smiddeth - they have part time spinners so why play Harris? SA's selection board seems to be as dodgy as ours.

Smiddy
20-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Harris can't bat to save his life.

Smiddeth - they have part time spinners so why play Harris? SA's selection board seems to be as dodgy as ours.
There's is dodgy, they have to play black players otherwise the country goes into uproar about the inequality of race. I know this wouldn't affect Harris in particular, but if they took out Amla, Prince or Ntini & replaced them with a white player, the board would get heavily criticised!

I do agree, Harris doesn't need to be played, they could bring in Duminy for him and extend the already great batting line-up, then have Smith/Amla/Mckenzie as potential spin bowlers.

Minstrels
20-07-2008, 09:49 PM
Back off Freddie, he's a blue! :@

Smiddy
20-07-2008, 09:50 PM
Back off Freddie, he's a blue! :@
OK thanks for that. Even though he also claims to supporting Preston and Liverpool.

Minstrels
20-07-2008, 09:52 PM
OK thanks for that. Even though he also claims to supporting Preston and Liverpool.
Likes City more, shares a box with that long haired drunk from Shameless.

Smiddy
20-07-2008, 09:54 PM
Likes City more, shares a box with that long haired drunk from Shameless.
Actually he likes Rugby more. And I think since he's from Preston, he'd prefer PNE :)

Minstrels
20-07-2008, 09:55 PM
Actually he likes Rugby more. And I think since he's from Preston, he'd prefer PNE :)
Still owns a box. :eusa_clap

Smiddy
20-07-2008, 09:56 PM
Still owns a box. :eusa_clap
Honestly what does that count for these days :).

Anyway, we're meant to be discussing cricket boards not exec boxes.

Minstrels
20-07-2008, 10:03 PM
Honestly what does that count for these days :).

Anyway, we're meant to be discussing cricket boards not exec boxes.
I like Freddie. He has an exec box. He is good at bowling. Gorrrr, did you see his catch?

See how I tie it all in? Good me eh? :P

Geraint
20-07-2008, 10:06 PM
People like Kabir Ali, Bopara, Key, Mascarenhas, Solanki, Shah should be picked to see if their any good. It'd be nice to see Trescothick back in there.

Smiddy
20-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Kabir Ali, Bopara, Key, Solanki and Shah have all had a chance, but apparently they didn't do well enough.
I do think Shah deserves another call-up though, replacing Vaughan at number 3.

Ideal line-up with what's on offer (for me):
Strauss (wkt)
Cook
Shah
Pietersen (cpt)
Bell
Collingwood
Flintoff
Broad
Simon Jones
Sidebottom
Panesar

Janczyk
20-07-2008, 10:42 PM
Cook
Bell
Pietersen
Napier
Flintoff
Shah
Mustard
Tremlett
Sidebottom
Anderson
Rashid

:8

Smiddy
20-07-2008, 11:03 PM
Not a bad side sir. Not entirely sure why Mr.Napier is there :P Maybe for the One-day setup :D

Speaking of the One day set-up, does anyone else agree with Nasser than having a team of fringe players versus the current crop is a good idea? I think it's brilliant and long overdue.

Janczyk
21-07-2008, 08:21 AM
No, I think most of the fringe players should be in the first team.

Napier is there because we needs someone who can get runs :$

Janczyk
21-07-2008, 11:55 AM
UPDATE:

Is that bet still on Tom because to be fair, Pietersen just threw his wicket away like he did in the 1st innings - maybe he's been paid to do that? :O

Smiddy
21-07-2008, 06:43 PM
Of course that "bet" was still on, shame neither of us was right haha.
I got one of my 3 predictions right, well done Broad.

Interesting name to throw into the equation, Nixon instead of Ambrose? He won't get a chance cos of the ICL but it would be a great prospect.

Janczyk
21-07-2008, 07:15 PM
Nixon was good yes, I still think we havn't got a WK.

Smiddy
21-07-2008, 07:23 PM
James Foster is a brilliant keeper, but his batting lets him down, I think he tends to average 20-30's; then again, that's a lot better than Ambrose atm :P

Janczyk
21-07-2008, 07:29 PM
James Foster is a brilliant keeper, but his batting lets him down, I think he tends to average 20-30's; then again, that's a lot better than Ambrose atm :P
Do you think he can cope at test level though?

So it's the same team next test apart from SB in for Pattinson.

I would drop Vaughn, drop Ambrose, drop Broad.

Smiddy
21-07-2008, 07:33 PM
I reckon he could now, since he's had a chance to develop in county cricket, when he was chosen before he was fresh-faced.

Yep, same team but that one change.

I would rest Broad, not drop him :P and since you're an avid Napier fan, bring in Napier for Broad :)
But yeah, drop the other two, let them rot in County cricket.

Janczyk
21-07-2008, 07:40 PM
God sake don't let Vaughn come to Yorkshire - mind you, he scores runs in county games :rolleyes:.

I'm not a Napier fan I just feel he can add what Pietersen added when he came in for Thorpe 3 years ago - runs and flair.

Smiddy
21-07-2008, 07:43 PM
I didn't see any evidence of him scoring runs when he played for them earlier this year ;)

Ahh I see, fair enough! I'm trying to think of another bowler who can bat a bit, cos Broad does well at the number 8 slot. Unless you bring in Collingwood and put Ambrose at 8?

Janczyk
21-07-2008, 07:54 PM
No no no.

Don't even mention Collingwood.

Smiddy
21-07-2008, 07:55 PM
Too late hun I just did.

Fine then, take your pick to bat a number 6 with Freddie at 7 and the WK at 8.

Janczyk
21-07-2008, 08:18 PM
None, move everyone down a notch and bat Ramprakash at 3.

:8

Smiddy
21-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Have you not seen how rubbish Ramps has played this season? Last year, he would of been in there straight away from me, but not this season.

Joe Denley, Michael Carberry, Rob Key, David Sales, all good picks.

Janczyk
21-07-2008, 08:29 PM
Not KEY!

Oh my God - remember the Windies tour? My God.

Denly might be good.

Ramprakash has so much media pressure on him, that is why.

Smiddy
21-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Durh of course I remember it, but he's developed since then! He's now a pretty damn good player & captain!

Ramps is putting pressure on himself too I believe, since he's still waiting for his 100th first-class century, if this was last season he'd of clocked it and raced ahead already, but he's not hitting it this season.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!