PDA

View Full Version : Driving lesson

Turnip
14-08-2008, 08:20 PM
1st one is booked.. :)
25th August, 9am.
Bday's on the 24th.

Any tips to stop the nerves when i have my 1st lesson?
Or just overall tips.

Smiddy
14-08-2008, 08:22 PM
Well Dart players use alcohol to calm their nerves... so maybe the same works with driving??? :)

Nah just don't worry about it, it's not a challenge, it's a way to progress ;)

GommeInc
14-08-2008, 08:39 PM
Your instructor will hopefully not put you through anything intense. It depends on the instructor, but they'll probably take you to a quiet part of town (or area) and teach you about moving off in 1st, to 2nd and to 3rd etc. Mine did at least :)

Turnip
14-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Thanks you two. :)
Ill +rep you both, although it wont make much of a difference.

Sammeth.
15-08-2008, 06:22 AM
My first lesson I was really nervous, however my instructor is very nice and relaxed - as Im sure all instructors should be. I got taken off to a quiet area and he went through "cockpit checks" and safety stuffs and the controls of the car, then we went through pulling off and changing gears. Its not as bad as you first think, but I think what helped me was going out with my Dad in the car a fair few times before my first lesson to get me used to everything.

Loqo
15-08-2008, 12:55 PM
As stated he will probably take you to a quiet area and you can start their going through the basics. I am only 15 now but have been driving for over 8 months with my Dad. He takes me to empty car parks at about 10pm and I learn their, I keep doing it so when I come to my lessons and test, it will already be natural to me. Dont worry about it, he should be very relaxing with you and it will be easier then what you think.

Metric1
15-08-2008, 05:43 PM
clutch, brake, start engine, foot off the brake, shift into first, foot slowly off the clutch, gas, foot all the way off the clutch, when the engine revs to around 3000rpm, clutch, shift into the next gear.

thats how i learned to drive a standard. my mom taught me on a 2005.5 Jetta TDI, and that is a hard car to learn on!

the driver ed car i learned how to drive was a ford escape because at the time my mom had a gmc yukon and it was automatic suv so it was pretty easy to learn on. i ended up wrecking the yukon a few months after i got my licence!

good luck and don't worry about it!

Dentafrice
15-08-2008, 08:03 PM
When I had drivers ed, we had a Dodge Stratus, which is a pretty nice handling car.

Here in NC they don't teach manual transmission for drivers ed, just automatic.

I've actually never drove a stick shift.. I need to learn.

Metric1
15-08-2008, 08:57 PM
When I had drivers ed, we had a Dodge Stratus, which is a pretty nice handling car.

Here in NC they don't teach manual transmission for drivers ed, just automatic.

I've actually never drove a stick shift.. I need to learn.

Yeah, I think new clutches are pretty expensive!

Abbie.
15-08-2008, 08:59 PM
im learning with school when i go back

my dad wont teach me cus im female apparently LOL..

N!ck
16-08-2008, 11:07 AM
On my first lesson my instructor talked about how a car works and asked some basic questions and told me some of the basic things while he was driving to a quiet area. Then went through stuff like cockpit checks then did moving off and used 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears and pulling in to the side of the road.

Just kept moving off and driving down the road for a bit then pulling in at the side, turning round and repeating. Just stay calm and relaxed it will be fine. They have the dual controls if anything goes wrong.

clutch, brake, start engine, foot off the brake, shift into first, foot slowly off the clutch, gas, foot all the way off the clutch, when the engine revs to around 3000rpm, clutch, shift into the next gear.

It should be in neutral so you don't need clutch to start the engine, just check it's in neutral and turn the key and handbrake should be on so don't need footbrake lol. Optimum gear shift is around 2500 rpm in a lot of cars i think but changing early should give better fuel economy as long as you don't get too close to the engine's idle speed and have the engine management kicking in.

Ostinato
17-08-2008, 10:50 PM
They obviously deal with a large amount of new learner drivers on a constant basis, so I am positive that your instructor will have learned how to make you feel calm and relaxed and ease you into the situation.

They understand your nervous, but once you sort of get going your nerves will just dissapear! Just be aware that you are perfectly allowed to, and you will, make mistakes. You should never be sorry for any mistake or anything you make, as that is the whole point in learning. Remember you are the one paying them! lol

Just do your best to enjoy it, and listen carefully to what he says and just apply 100% and give your best! :)

Good luck - and let us know how it goes!

tdi
18-08-2008, 02:54 AM
On my first lesson my instructor talked about how a car works and asked some basic questions and told me some of the basic things while he was driving to a quiet area. Then went through stuff like cockpit checks then did moving off and used 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears and pulling in to the side of the road.

Just kept moving off and driving down the road for a bit then pulling in at the side, turning round and repeating. Just stay calm and relaxed it will be fine. They have the dual controls if anything goes wrong.

It should be in neutral so you don't need clutch to start the engine, just check it's in neutral and turn the key and handbrake should be on so don't need footbrake lol. Optimum gear shift is around 2500 rpm in a lot of cars i think but changing early should give better fuel economy as long as you don't get too close to the engine's idle speed and have the engine management kicking in.
correct, but applying the clutch reduces wear on the gearbox.

N!ck
18-08-2008, 11:12 AM
correct, but applying the clutch reduces wear on the gearbox.

Yeah, but the wear will be minimal due to the engine only being at idle. You probably won't be sat in neutral long any way as you'll probably be driving off, which i'm sure driving off would wear a gearbox much more than having it sat in neutral.

Mr.Sam
18-08-2008, 11:20 AM
you'll be fine, just follow what your instructor says :)

Blinger1
18-08-2008, 11:32 AM
im learning with school when i go back

my dad wont teach me cus im female apparently LOL..
Fully understood.

I need to get lessons soon too, they cost about $50 here >_<

Mr.Sam
18-08-2008, 11:49 AM
Thats £23 which is the same pretty much.

Think my dad charges £21

Digital
18-08-2008, 09:37 PM
15 quid round here :S

Abbie.
18-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Fully understood.

I need to get lessons soon too, they cost about $50 here >_<

sexist much

fully understand this; girls make better drivers :].

Dentafrice
18-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Free around here..

tdi
18-08-2008, 09:47 PM
sexist much

fully understand this; girls make slower better drivers :].

:P .

Abbie.
18-08-2008, 09:49 PM
naa, why what are u, a boy racer?

notice how your insuarnce is prob alot higher?

DaveTaylor
18-08-2008, 10:02 PM

all fricking males are now classified as "boy racers" when they are 17-21 so excuse me, but my insurance is £1400 and i hardly am a boy racer, anyway, my first lesson was roundabouts because I have driven before :P

tdi
18-08-2008, 10:20 PM

lol far from it, i was kidding btw :P

i hate 'boy racers' - i used to be in to max power-stylee cars when I was like 15 :P - my car's hardly boy racer material either as it's diesel. ;)

oh& my insurance is also only 1400 fully comp, on a 1.9 hah.

Turnip
18-08-2008, 11:36 PM
thanks for the support all :)
ill be sure to let you know how it goes.

tdi
18-08-2008, 11:59 PM
thanks for the support all :)
ill be sure to let you know how it goes.
it'll be fine, I was the same on my first lesson :P

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!