PDA

View Full Version : Enrichment Activities Help!?!

Hey,

Well I wil be starting 6th Form College from next week and we have to sign-up to some Enrichment Programs but I don't know which ones to pick,the 6th Form said they would benefit us when applying for a University course? LOL

Here are the options...

Citizenship Group
Book Club
Law Society
Auditioning for Preforming Arts Schools
Badminton
Ballet (Beginners)
Ballet (Intermidiate)
Latin (Beginners)
Chamber Choir
Cheerleading
Chemistry XL
Chinese (Beginners)
Christian Union
College Ambassadors
Complementary Therapies
College Musical Production
Creative Writing
Circuit Training
Dance (Jazz)
Dance (Contemporary)
Debating Society
Dodge-Ball
Driving Theory Lessons
Duke of Edinburgh Award
English Language & Literature XL
Film Making
First Aid
Football
French Theatre
Jazz Band
Lacrosse
Life Drawing
Maths XL (STEP & AEA & UK Senior Maths Challenge)
Mountain Biking
Multi-Faith Encounters
Mock Trial (Solicitor & Barrister practise)
Music Lessons (Instrumental Tuition)
Music Technology (Beginners)
Music Technology (Advanced)
Netball
Photography Club
Rock Climbing Club
Rugby Union
Sign Language
Sociology Film Club
Spain - History, Language & Culture
The Business Club (Entrepreneur)
Trampolining
Volunter Work
VoiceBox (The College Magazine)
World Cinema (Critical Studies)

Has you can see I have a wide range of activites to choose from, we have to pick atleast one! We will find out more information about them next week at the Enrichment Fair!

Which activities do you think would benefit me most with my AS-levels which are Economics, Geography,Maths with Stats & Politics along with me wanting to go into a Economical/Finance related career?

Thanks

Holofoil
29-08-2008, 02:35 PM
Perhaps highlight the ones that are possible? Eg. jazz band isn't a good idea if you don't play anything...

Fehm
29-08-2008, 02:35 PM
Id like the Business one :o lol!

Good luck on your choice =]

,Jess,
29-08-2008, 02:39 PM
Wow you get a bigger choice than us. But yeah if you did something like volunteer work that would look good when applying to unis, like they'll think you're a good person or something.

JackBuddy
29-08-2008, 02:42 PM
Trampolining, Dodgeball or cycling. What they said is ********, it doesn't affect uni applications whatsoever. We only had to choose an extra activity in my first year at college to make up the hours so every did 22/25 a week.

The Professor
29-08-2008, 04:07 PM
Well you've got your list far earlier than I did :P Is there honestly nothing on that list that stands out to you more than anything else?

Wootzeh
29-08-2008, 05:14 PM
Duke of Edinburgh award.

Recursion
29-08-2008, 05:26 PM
DoE Award will stand out like a fricken house on paper.

All the "XL" programs you see include AEA and extra qualifications to give you a good chance to get into a good University! I think I am going to most likely to go with "Maths XL" and "The Business Club (Entrepreneur)

I will read out the description for "Maths XL" & "The Business Club" so you guys can tell me what you think, also these Enrichment Activities are after school http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/images/smilies/frown.gif! But I will be benefited in the long-term anyway.

Maths XL
Enjoy Mathematical puzzles?

Try - A bag contains 50 coins,whose total value is £1.81. Given that the bag contains only two pence and five pence, how many more five-pence coins than two-pence coins are there? A=4 B=6 C=8 D=10 E=12 (Circle the correct answer)The sessions will prepare you for: The UK senior maths challenge (the coin problem above was of last year's questions); the Advanced Extension Award (AEA) and STEP papers.

Are you a budding entrepreneur? Think you have an excellent business idea?

This is a weekly drop in session for anyone currently running their own business or for anyone who thinks that working for themselves might be something they are interested in.

You will have the opportunity to chat with staff, use the facilities, get advice and speak to experts. We will try to turn your ideas into reality!

---

I think they both sound very good? I will keep the DoE in mind :),see how it is at the fair next week :)

Thanks

JackBuddy
29-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Honestly, they are worthless. I haven't seen any of that on my UCAS application. After 2 weeks you will get bored of them and half the people wont go to the classes. D of E isn't worth doing at colleges, well not the ones in my area. They only do the silver award. I think you are looking into this too much. All the subjects you chose are very academic so I'd just choose something that you will have a laugh in and know you will enjoy.

Angel-Light
29-08-2008, 06:19 PM
You don't need those to get into Uni. My school didn't even do any of that and my personal statement was quite boring tbh :P

Just choose what you enjoy doing and not think about "How will this look on my CV/Application?" cause there isn't any point if you do something and not enjoy it :)

PaintYourTarget
29-08-2008, 06:29 PM
To be honest, in my opinion it's a waste of time. You'll be working so much on your AS that you don't want something like that killing off your spare hours. Only the medical students at my 6th form did theirs and that doubled up as their required work experience.

Holofoil
29-08-2008, 09:11 PM
Well the stuff is pretty useless if the Uni you're going to isn't very good, but if you're planning on going to a Uni which is hard to get in to, it will help a lot, since so many forms will be almost identical, so any added experience will make the difference.
They wouldn't be that impressed by merely doing trampolining or football, unless you have achieved something really impressive, like competing for your country.
Being able to play an instrument really makes a difference, or having won certain art competitions etc can sometimes help. So basically if you're going in to academic stuff, creative experience will help since they want all rounded people.

But at the end of the day it depends what you want to do. But don't just doss it because people here say it's useless, experience isn't for convincing people they should accept you, it's for you to get the most out of what's available.

Soka
29-08-2008, 09:31 PM
decent unis look for experience relevant to course, voluntary work, and then sports/hobbies - this will be smallest section in Personal Statement

for example - i'm looking at going into maths degree in 09' so i'm going to enter AEA for maths, do STEP papers I,II and include these in my PS as well as including work experience at local school where i helped out with maths :P

so your business choice is good, if your looking at going into that section at Uni which i think you said you are ;p it all comes down to a good personal statement at the end of the day and reasonable AS / predicted A2 grades to even get an offer!

Throne Sofa
30-08-2008, 01:21 AM
Hey,

Well I wil be starting 6th Form College from next week and we have to sign-up to some Enrichment Programs but I don't know which ones to pick,the 6th Form said they would benefit us when applying for a University course? LOL

Here are the options...

Citizenship Group
Book Club
Law Society
Auditioning for Preforming Arts Schools
Badminton
Ballet (Beginners)
Ballet (Intermidiate)
Latin (Beginners)
Chamber Choir
Cheerleading
Chemistry XL
Chinese (Beginners)
Christian Union
College Ambassadors
Complementary Therapies
College Musical Production
Creative Writing
Circuit Training
Dance (Jazz)
Dance (Contemporary)
Debating Society
Dodge-Ball
Driving Theory Lessons
Duke of Edinburgh Award
English Language & Literature XL
Film Making
First Aid
Football
French Theatre
Jazz Band
Lacrosse
Life Drawing
Maths XL (STEP & AEA & UK Senior Maths Challenge)
Mountain Biking
Multi-Faith Encounters
Mock Trial (Solicitor & Barrister practise)
Music Lessons (Instrumental Tuition)
Music Technology (Beginners)
Music Technology (Advanced)
Netball
Photography Club
Rock Climbing Club
Rugby Union
Sign Language
Sociology Film Club
Spain - History, Language & Culture
Trampolining
Volunter Work
VoiceBox (The College Magazine)
World Cinema (Critical Studies)

Has you can see I have a wide range of activites to choose from, we have to pick atleast one! We will find out more information about them next week at the Enrichment Fair!

Which activities do you think would benefit me most with my AS-levels which are Economics, Geography,Maths with Stats & Politics along with me wanting to go into a Economical/Finance related career?

Thanks
Them 3. :8

Bun
31-08-2008, 08:38 AM
you get way more choices than me :O, but i'm picking outdoor pursuits (mountain biking, rock climbing, etc).

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!