PDA

View Full Version : A2 - Design and Technology - Project Ideas

Kieran
04-09-2008, 04:40 PM
Well,
It's come to the time where I have to make another MAJOR project for my A Level Design and Technology but I'm stuck for ideas this time! Last year I did a remote control crane.

Please give me ideas! They have to be electronics related, but make them as wacky as you like!

Thanks

JackBuddy
04-09-2008, 06:59 PM
I don't do electronics, but I do A2 GMT. I'm just doing an exhibition board for the 2012 Olympics and am hopefully going to be working with my local council in the design process.

I can't think of things for you because I don't know what you're capable of and what you can do :p. Although I would recommend choosing something with a sustainability/ environmental theme.

Kieran
04-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Well I've been told I should apply to do something electronics/engineer based at Oxford if that helps.

I have come up with one idea:

There are plugs with appliances attached to them (Television, Lights, etc) and these plugs transmit signals wirelessly to a central screen. On the screen the user can select a label for each plug and it shows if the plug is currently on or off and the user can then press a button on the display and it turns the plug on/off depending on its previous state.

Technologic
04-09-2008, 10:14 PM
I can see how it would be able switch off remotely but how would you turn it on remotely if there is no power to the plug?

Kieran
05-09-2008, 06:57 PM
The plugs will always have power, but they cut off the onward power if you get what I mean. So it would be like:

Socket -> Plug -> Cutoff -> Appliance

so the cutoff is what gets turned on and off.

CHA!NGANG
05-09-2008, 08:05 PM
Your lucky, we have a new course and we have to make what the school tell us too and it cant be bigger then a small box shape... Its a stupid course in honesty.

Technologic
05-09-2008, 09:15 PM
I see what you're getting at now but imo i still don't think you should go for that

Kieran
05-09-2008, 09:45 PM
And why not? There is nothing on the market with a display controlled socket. It will provide me with extensive coding and electronics, the parts I'm damn good at!

Technologic
05-09-2008, 09:49 PM
And why not? There is nothing on the market with a display controlled socket. It will provide me with extensive coding and electronics, the parts I'm damn good at!
I s'pose it's a good idea, good luck on getting a cheap touch screen though. Do you have to do all the faffing about with A level DT like you do with GCSE?

Kieran
06-09-2008, 11:40 AM
Not a touchscreen. A graphical LCD with buttons located at the side :P
Faffing about? As in the massive write-up?

Technologic
07-09-2008, 01:07 AM
It's been a year and i haven't even started my project yet :l

Kieran
07-09-2008, 11:39 AM
Erm. No my school isn't like that :S
I start in October officially.

JackBuddy
07-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Your lucky, we have a new course and we have to make what the school tell us too and it cant be bigger then a small box shape... Its a stupid course in honesty.
This is A level not GCSE...

Kieran
07-09-2008, 04:52 PM
My GCSE was the same...

Recursion
07-09-2008, 04:52 PM

Home Automation systems that do this, and more, exist.

Kieran
07-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Show me one then...

Kieran
07-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Can't edit:

*Show me one that does what mine does*

And it doesn't matter if it does exist. My remote controlled crane last year already existed but I still got full marks!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!