PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy this?

Ostinato
05-09-2008, 11:37 PM
Hey.

As some of you know I passed my test back in May, and since then have been paying about £100 a month to be insured on my mums Citroen C3.

I've just been offered a 1991 Fiat Seicento Sporting Arbath....

LOL I know very little about cars at all, but I have been offered it for £790 and it looks alright to me?! It's MOT'd until Febuary which isn't bad and has just got loads of new stuff done to it.

It has everything I am basically looking for, for my own 1st car... a CD player, central locking, electric windows, sunroof... lmao

(I know very little about cars apart from the materialistic stuff xD)

It has a 1100 engine...

I've looked about at insurance and it's gonna cost just the same as I am paying now really, so it wouldn't be that much of a difference all in all.

SO - IS IT WORTH IT?

http://img382.imageshack.us/my.php?image=28036446122010906802304kq4.jpg

http://img364.imageshack.us/my.php?image=28036446122010906811f3cih5.jpg

tdi
05-09-2008, 11:48 PM
1100cc, very slow, very unresponsive.. you could do better.

Ostinato
05-09-2008, 11:52 PM
ooh really?

Apparently it's a 'fast and nippy car' LOL

Metric1
06-09-2008, 02:01 AM
.. it's 17 years old..

Ostinato
06-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Oh god I don't know why the hell I wrote 1991 lmao... It's 1999!

Ramones
06-09-2008, 11:06 AM
A friend of mine has one, they can be quite nippy, for a 1.1l purely because of how light they are, however it's a really ugly car in my opinion. I'd be looking atleast a years MOT when buying a car, find out if it's taxed aswell, that'll cost you another 120 odd quid. Personally i wouldn't get one but i'm more bothered about how the car looks.

Loqo
06-09-2008, 11:06 AM
It's your first car. And if its the same insurance price as what you are paying now then you might as-well go for it and have your own car. Doesn't sound bad to me, it's something that will get you around for the mean time and you wont need to worry about sharing it with your mum. :)

Ostinato
06-09-2008, 11:10 AM
It's your first car. And if its the same insurance price as what you are paying now then you might as-well go for it and have your own car. Doesn't sound bad to me, it's something that will get you around for the mean time and you wont need to worry about sharing it with your mum. :)

Yeh thats what Im thinking.

Although it may not be my ideal first car or it's not the best looking out there, it isn't completely ugly and does the job and means I can have it any time I want or need...

It's MOTd until Feb so thats okay... yeh it needs road tax so I know thats another £120 I need to consider.

I dno, it just seems quite a good car for not bad money i think... but I spose all in all it might cost me about 900-1000 so maybe I could get a better/newer car with MOT and tax for longer for that money?

Loqo
06-09-2008, 11:40 AM
Yeh thats what Im thinking.

Although it may not be my ideal first car or it's not the best looking out there, it isn't completely ugly and does the job and means I can have it any time I want or need...

It's MOTd until Feb so thats okay... yeh it needs road tax so I know thats another £120 I need to consider.

I dno, it just seems quite a good car for not bad money i think... but I spose all in all it might cost me about 900-1000 so maybe I could get a better/newer car with MOT and tax for longer for that money?

We all cant have good looking cars for our first. ;)

And true. Dont go jumping at the first car you have seen, have a look around. See what their is and then make your final decision when you have 2 or 3 cars in mind. Discuss it with friends, family, get their views on it. But anything reliable and able to get you from A to B is just what you need.

Nereo
06-09-2008, 12:27 PM
I would most probably wait and try to earn a bit more money and get a slightly newer car :D

N!ck
06-09-2008, 10:20 PM
You will notice a bit of a step-down when driving it compared to the C3. Personally i don't like Fiat's at all anyway, from my experience they're crap to drive but if you like it then go for it. If you fancy it then at least it's your very own personal runabout.

Digital
07-09-2008, 10:23 AM
I've drove one before and Its like sitting a shoe box! loads of fualts and not much room... Would be cheap as hell to tax and insure tho...

jesus
07-09-2008, 10:29 AM
1.1 wont be too slow if you think about bhp/ton, that's what really counts.

depends on the mileage and if there's no service history then stay away

MissAlice
07-09-2008, 12:35 PM
I agree with a few others here, I would take a good look around, and just for price guidance look at sites like the autotrader so you have an idea of whether you are paying a fair price. I'm not over keen on Fiat's, and although that car has many nice features like the central locking and electric windows, when they go wrong it's going to cost you. I had a Citroen Saxo 1.1 1998 model at one point, it was nippy, very reliable, low mileage, low insurance group, good service history, and around a year later sold it for exactly the same money I paid for it, so do consider other makes too.

Also find someone with mechanical knowledge to test drive it for you ;)

Ohirian
07-09-2008, 05:58 PM
It's a first car and it's relatively cheap.
Insurance prices are going to be the same for most cars for you, so why not take it while it's there?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!