PDA

View Full Version : Possibly switching six form? Advice? [+REP]

Josh-H
23-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Hey.

I'm thinking of switching six form to go to one where I believe I will get a better education.

Thing is, I'm really happy at the moment with my friends but believe I'm wasting a lot of time during free periods and sometimes even during lessons. and a couple of my teachers are terrible.
I could go to this new school and be a loner and unhappy but would probably get a better education.

Just worried as 2 years is a long time to be unhappy. Current school has been placed in special measures by ofsted and is due to be turned into an academy in the next year...

What would you do if you were in my shoes?
It's not as easy as it sounds to just go to the school with the better education.

+REP to helpers.

Xarea
23-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Your education is more important then your friends. If you don't switch, you'll regret it when you get crap results.

Inseriousity.
23-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Yeah, your friends will leave you eventually to pursue their own careers and whatnot. You owe it to yourself to get the best advantage you can!

Although you mention free periods and I get free periods. I thought everyone in a 6th form gets free periods (unless you took 5 AS levels).

Josh-H
23-09-2008, 06:47 PM
Yeah, your friends will leave you eventually to pursue their own careers and whatnot. You owe it to yourself to get the best advantage you can!

Although you mention free periods and I get free periods. I thought everyone in a 6th form gets free periods (unless you took 5 AS levels).

Yeh I know they do but I get a huge amount (9 a week!) even though I do 4 AS levels. And there's not really anywhere to go and work in them, most computer rooms are booked for lessons and we don't really have a common room or study room.

dirrty
23-09-2008, 06:50 PM
if ur gonna change, u better do it fast. as in the next few weeks max rly.

SUPERhanna.
23-09-2008, 06:51 PM
Maybe you could use books, libary and spend your freetime revising.

Don't let your friends hold you back, they will understand and you will always make new friends at a different college :)!

Josh-H
23-09-2008, 07:01 PM
if ur gonna change, u better do it fast. as in the next few weeks max rly.

Yeh I know, this week is crunch time for my decision.

Abbie.
23-09-2008, 07:05 PM
DEFF change!

u can make other friends, so u'll hardly be a loner

MissAlice
23-09-2008, 07:30 PM
You need to be 100% certain that the move to another 6th form is the right move for your needs. Have you checked out this other 6th form thoroughly? If you honestly believe you will be better educated there, then don't waste time, and get yourself sorted. You will make new friends and those that want to stay in touch with you, will do :)

alexxxxx
23-09-2008, 07:37 PM
you will make new friends. so go for it.

Ohirian
23-09-2008, 08:12 PM
You should definately change if you want to pursue a better education. You will make new friends and you can still keep in contact with you're old ones.

23-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Go to the other school

Tintinnabulate
24-09-2008, 08:26 AM
I swear you just described my sixth form.
Its in special measures.
Most of my teachers cannot teach.
They use the library as a classroom.
It used to be the best public school / sixth form in Manchester ... now its the worst.

,Jess,
24-09-2008, 01:16 PM
Like others have said you definitely need to make a decision soon else you'll have a lot of catching up to do. I'm sure you'll make new friends and you can keep in touch with the others. At the end of the day it's only a couple of year of your life but they're important both if you're going to uni after and if not you want the best grades to help you out with getting a job in the future.

Josh-H
24-09-2008, 08:05 PM
Decision made.
Phoned the other six form today to arrange a meeting, almost certain they'll have me.
Meet at 8am tomorrow.

Thank you everyone.

Casual
24-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Decision made.
Phoned the other six form today to arrange a meeting, almost certain they'll have me.
Meet at 8am tomorrow.

Thank you everyone.

Hope you get in :)

e5
24-09-2008, 08:32 PM
I would hate to move schools, especially to be stuck on my own with no friends. It's a choice that would be very difficult to make. You want to stay as you're with your friends and get a slight education.

But you want to move to get a great education with no friends, yet you're still not guaranteed an amazing education by going there? If you go there with no friends, you'll be miserable during free period and then carry that on into lessons and maybe miss out on the grades you expect.

You don't have to move, just buck your ideas up at school, do work during free period (if you feel you're still not doing enough work then) and don't miss out in lessons, it's as simple as that. It's down to you really.

Josh-H
25-09-2008, 03:51 PM
Got into the new school, start monday and some of my friends from current school also have an interview tomorrow now :D

MissAlice
25-09-2008, 04:06 PM
Got into the new school, start monday and some of my friends from current school also have an interview tomorrow now :D

I hope it all goes well for you, when I left school and went to college, I only knew two others that had attended my school. It forced me to mix and make new friends, and as to the friends you leave behind, the ones that are important to you, you will stay in touch with. I'm sure you've made the right decision :)

Nereo
25-09-2008, 05:41 PM
If your current friends are that important they will stay in touch ;)

This is why MSN was invented :P

Havoline
25-09-2008, 06:03 PM
Use your frees to look up extra about the subject and learn more about it. That way you still get a good mark in your a levels and you get to stay with your mates.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!