PDA

View Full Version : science...

lucyecc
01-07-2005, 09:56 AM
could someone please tell me things about energy efficent houses. im struggling with my work in a lesson.

please mention things about what a house needs for keeping it cool and how to keep heat and all the air in a house.

i will give rep to anyone who helps

lucyecc
02-07-2005, 09:36 PM
hi im still needing that extra bit of help with this please thanks x

Kekea
02-07-2005, 09:38 PM
What grade are you in?

xsaucy-stephx
02-07-2005, 10:08 PM
erm i sort of did a bit of this at the start of the year,
'Heat is transferred from a hot object to the surroundings by conduction, convection and radiation. All of these methods of heat transfer happen in the buildings we live in. As energy costs rise and energy conservation becomes crucial, ways in which we can reduce the heat loss from our buildings are becoming more important. Below are some of the more common methods of reducing heat loss from housing:-
-Hot air rises in the rooms inside the house and the heat is conducted through the ceiling into the loft. Convection then carries the heat away from the house. Loft insulation reduces this considerably.
-Radiators have reflective panels behind them to prevent the heat escaping through the walls by radiation.
-Heat is conducted into the ground. Many modern buildings have under-floor insulation to reduce this heat loss.
- Heat is conducted through the walls. An air gap [cavity wall] reduces this heat loss. Cavity wall insulation reduces it further.
- Convection currents inside a room warm the glass of the windows. Heat then conducts through the glass and is carried away by convection. Double-glazing reduces this heat loss.'

Taken From 'The Heinemann Science Scheme Book 2' [P113]

hope this helps you, took ages to type out! :p

Steph
xx

lucyecc
03-07-2005, 07:58 PM
awwwww thanks steph i luff you :love7: + rep

it has helped me alot has that thankyou thankyou very muchly ;) *hugz*

EDIT: i need to spread a bit more rep around before i can rep you again :(
but until further notice i will still rep you at one point x

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!