PDA

View Full Version : How the hell am I supposed to do coursework when i cant use and/so/then!

restored,
07-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Ok.
The and bit i couldn't care less about but then! How the hell can't i use it. It's like Hard lmao.
Give me some good words to use.
+ ret to whoever helps.

cocaine
07-10-2008, 04:53 PM
ask your teacher for help...?

and i dont really understand what you're talking about..

Wayne
07-10-2008, 05:04 PM
I really don't understand what you're saying either.

joejimbop
07-10-2008, 05:08 PM
He means he has to write whatever work without using the words and, so, and then.

Inseriousity.
07-10-2008, 05:13 PM
Teacher from hell or what?!! That's a bit bizarre!

Only way to really do it is write in simple sentences bound to get you a low grade.

Actual coursework that's going to be marked and count towards your grade? Maybe it's a really bizarre teaching technique to prove... oh I've got nothing. That's a bit extreme. I'd personally complain to someone with higher authority...

Tom:GC
07-10-2008, 05:15 PM
Thats not right..

You should see like a head of english or something about this.

I've never had to do anything like this and it seems pretty doubtful

Lycan
07-10-2008, 05:21 PM
Thats not right..

You should see like a head of english or something about this.

I've never had to do anything like this and it seems pretty doubtful

Head of English will back the teacher...... if they don't then the head of english will not be doing their job properly. if you just use and/so/then you will get lower marks as it shows a basic level of understanding and use of the english language.

Inseriousity.
07-10-2008, 05:29 PM
They shouldn't be banned from using it altogether. I got B in English Language and I used all 3 of those words. They should just be encouraged to broaden their vocabulary...

cocaine
07-10-2008, 05:30 PM
OHHHH
sorry

i understand now

he/she might want to encourage you to use connectives instead of "and/so/then"

Wayne
07-10-2008, 05:32 PM
Use a thesaurus. ;)

LoveToStack
14-10-2008, 09:12 PM
watch the matrix 2, with that old guy with a white beard in it @ the end. He never ends a sentance, it's all;

Ergo, Concortedly, therefore, we can conclude that, thus, vi sa vi.

kk.
14-10-2008, 09:15 PM
following that, after that, also...

Robby
14-10-2008, 09:36 PM
Just write it as you would normally then use find and replace for and/so/then and replace them with another word :P

Taisha
14-10-2008, 10:00 PM
what a tortuous but well thought-out assignment.
imo your teacher's pretty smart of thinking of an assignment like this ;]

I would use "that being said" and "thus" a lot lol.

Holofoil
14-10-2008, 10:14 PM
We've done similar things, it's just to get you to use wide vocab

so - hence/therefore
then - after/therefore/because of this (depends what context obv.)
and - also/with/on top of that/along with

Hope that makes sense

LoveToStack
17-10-2008, 08:03 PM
instead of 'and' put;

'how about we throw this into da mix'

Barmi
17-10-2008, 09:24 PM
Ok.
The and bit i couldn't care less about but then! How the hell can't i use it. It's like Hard lmao.
Give me some good words to use.
+ ret to whoever helps.

We've done similar things, it's just to get you to use wide vocab

so - hence/therefore
then - after/therefore/because of this (depends what context obv.)
and - also/with/on top of that/along with

Hope that makes sense
In honestly, it depends on your own personal competence with the English language. Do not use (as suggested above) colloquialisms such as "on top of that", but take care not to use phrases which do not fit the general style of your essay. What do I mean by that? If your writing is comparable to St. Pancras station as opposed to a lovely, large, beautiful Georgian townhouse (a genius once told me that), then stay with simple connectives. Linking simple phrases with eloquent connectives gives the impression that your writing is somewhat forced.

Suggestions?

So: Really, this one depends on context. Providing that you don't start a sentence with "so", and you use the word sparingly, you would be better off telling your teacher where to shove it. It is a very useful word, given the right context; it is pointless trying to make other words fit when it clearly is unnecessary. You could use the likes of "in order to, to ensure that, the result being", but use your initiative when deciding which words fit.

Then: Again, but to a lesser extent, you need to consider context. However, in general you can use phrases including "consequently, as a result, following this, henceforth, subsequently", etcetera.

And: A complete ban on useful words is completely useless. If used sparingly, "and" is a great word. Mix it up a little with "additionally, in addition to, as well as, alongside, furthermore, together with". Just please, make sure the word sounds grammatically correct in the context of the sentence or you will sound like a fool.

Madox
02-11-2008, 06:59 PM
Refer, Deduce , Infer, This Means That , etc

Virgin Mary
02-11-2008, 09:21 PM
Use them anyway, your teacher sounds like a hypercorrect freak who probably thinks it's correct to use "and I" in every circumstance. Being picky with word choice makes you look pretentious and is no better than being oversimplistic with language.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!