PDA

View Full Version : driving questions

dirrty
24-10-2008, 07:48 PM
i cba to go through previous threads so i thought id just make a new one.

anyway yeah, i have a few questions which i hope some of you can answer please. i know some of the answers will vary from person to person, but i just want like a general idea.

how many lessons did you take?
how much did they cost?
how long did it all take, from first lesson to final test?
how much is your insurance and do you pay monthly or annually?
is your insurance with/without pass plus?
are you on your parents insurance, or on your own?

soz if some of these are like a bit personal or pointless. you dont have to answer all of em, but i just wanna know what to expect, and i guess this thread could help others if they want to know the same thing aswell.

im asking all of this as i took my first 2 driving lessons today, with the first 4 lessons being £7.50 (18 quid after). also, ive done numerous costings online for insurance, and i havent found one cheaper than £2500.

thanks

Charles
24-10-2008, 07:54 PM
1. I took 25~ lessons
2. £30 for 1hr 30
3. February to September (test was on the 9th Sep)
4. My insurance is £1,600 and I pay for it monthly, wouldn't have enough in my bank otherwise :p
5. It's without passplus
6. I'm on my own insurance, with my mum as the second driver.

Hope I'm of some help, and goodluck :)

FlyingJesus
24-10-2008, 07:55 PM
1. Far too many! I actually have no idea
2. £18 an hour
3. I was doing lessons for just under a year myself, but it wasn't as regular as I'd have liked due to cost and college
4. Around £1400 a year for my 1.4 litre Clio, I pay about £120 a month
5. Without
6. Fully comp on my own name

The insurance cost will count a LOT on what car you're looking to insure yourself on. Also being a male under the age of 21 they won't be friendly on prices lol

jesus
24-10-2008, 07:56 PM
1. how many lessons did you take? 10
2. how much did they cost? 160 i think
3. how long did it all take, from first lesson to final test? about ayear due to my laziness
4. how much is your insurance and do you pay monthly or annually? 900 anually
5. is your insurance with/without pass plus?
6. are you on your parents insurance, or on your own? own

FlyingJesus
24-10-2008, 07:58 PM
HOW DO YOU GET 900 ON THE SAME CAR I HATE YOU :'(:'(:'(

oh wait you have a different version lol, yours is newer

dirrty
24-10-2008, 08:01 PM
thanks.
woah, all of your insurance costs are well cheap compared to what im being quoted. and the cars ive been quoted on are like 106, clio, golf etc. with passplus. i dont get why its so high lol, considering i dont like in a bad neighbourhood, car would be in the garage at night and thats third party.

British
24-10-2008, 08:01 PM
how many lessons did you take? - 1
how much did they cost? - £20
how long did it all take, from first lesson to final test? 1
how much is your insurance and do you pay monthly or annually? £50 month
is your insurance with/without pass plus? With
are you on your parents insurance, or on your own? Own

FlyingJesus
24-10-2008, 08:06 PM
Mine actually turned out £100 cheaper on fully comp than it would have been 3rd party somehow :S also are you looking at insurance costs after passing and on your own name? Age might be a problem too if you're still 17

dirrty
24-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Mine actually turned out £100 cheaper on fully comp than it would have been 3rd party somehow :S also are you looking at insurance costs after passing and on your own name? Age might be a problem too if you're still 17
yeah. ive been acting as if ive passed already and looking for insurance. i have to put it in my name, and not parents as 1. i dont live with my parents (long story, probably posted somewhere on here), so i cant go on theirs. 2. even if i could go on their insurance, my mum would say no as i need to build up my no claims bonus or something and if i cash, it would increase her premium & insurance or whatever she said.

just got a quote for a 1.4 2003 clio, and it came out to be £2724.98 lol.

N!ck
24-10-2008, 09:20 PM
1. how many lessons did you take? Around 18
2. how much did they cost? £18 per hour as i knew the BSM instructor so £27 per 1.5 hour lesson
3. how long did it all take, from first lesson to final test? 4 and a half months
4. how much is your insurance and do you pay monthly or annually? I ;m not insured as i can't afford it. It would be £1700 to put me on my parent's insurance lol
5. is your insurance with/without pass plus? No pass plus. My instructor said it doesn't make much difference these days if at all.
6. are you on your parents insurance, or on your own? N/A

GommeInc
24-10-2008, 11:00 PM
how many lessons did you take?
how much did they cost?
how long did it all take, from first lesson to final test?
how much is your insurance and do you pay monthly or annually?
is your insurance with/without pass plus?
are you on your parents insurance, or on your own?

- About 30 minimum. I started on the 13th of February and passed October 29th and I only missed 2 lessons out of weekly lessons. Too lazy to do the maths :P
- £36 for 2 hours.
- Ummm 10 months ish?
- It was in the £1000s but it dropped down to £843 - It's going to be ALOT cheaper next year though, would have my license for 2 years and that supposedly drops costs and means I can have more points on my license :D
- Without, I pretty much drove in all weathers and it would be pointless.
- My own and I own my own car :)

MissAlice
25-10-2008, 12:02 AM
how many lessons did you take? around 25-30.
how much did they cost? Friend of the family £25 for two hours.
how long did it all take, from first lesson to final test? Few lessons with dad then approx 7 months.
how much is your insurance and do you pay monthly or annually? Monthly - Just renewed £541 before interest.
is your insurance with/without pass plus? Without.
are you on your parents insurance, or on your own? On my own, fully comp.

Passed theory first time, failed practical and passed second time, so extra cost. Insurance group is very important, started in a group 2, the lower the group the better.

I've just spent the past week or so checking and re-checking insurance quotes. Been with Tesco as I got 10% discount because another member of family is insured with them. Renewal came through at just over £600 before interest. I found the equivalent cover with Churchill's and Tesco matched them ;)

I know females get it cheaper, but well worth checking for that family discount of 10% that you may be entitled to, and keep getting plenty of quotes.

joshuar
25-10-2008, 06:58 PM
how many lessons did you take? Loads
how much did they cost? £21 a lesson, but if I paid for 10 I'd get 1 free
how long did it all take, from first lesson to final test? 1 year and 2 weeks (I failed 2 tests).
how much is your insurance and do you pay monthly or annually? £500 a year
is your insurance with/without pass plus? Without
are you on your parents insurance, or on your own? On my parents, but with Direct Line I get my own No Claims discount building as a named driver.
Also they messed up our insurance as they thought we had 4 years no claims when we told them we had 1, so they have had to leave it be for this year.

dirrty
25-10-2008, 07:01 PM
thanks everyone!

Digital
25-10-2008, 10:06 PM
How do people take so long to pass :S

My mate had like 6 hours then passed second time... took a few weeks

Hope it doesn't take me ages to pass :( I can drive now so hopefully I'll be a few hours of lessons ahead :D Also insurance is mad I've been looking at insraunce for a 1.2 clio and its 2000 3rd party ;\

dirrty
25-10-2008, 10:09 PM
How do people take so long to pass :S

My mate had like 6 hours then passed second time... took a few weeks

Hope it doesn't take me ages to pass :( I can drive now so hopefully I'll be a few hours of lessons ahead :D Also insurance is mad I've been looking at insraunce for a 1.2 clio and its 2000 3rd party ;\
yeah, insurance is crazy money. its like shocking that we gotta spend like 2000+ on insurance for a car. others have mentioned that their insurance is like £1000-1500, and its like, how the hell am i being quoted so much more. its not like i live in a bad neighbourhood with any high negative rates like crime, accidents etc.

im planning on doing a lesson a week anyway. i dont have time or the money for 2 lol. aiming to pass hopefully around easter.

Digital
25-10-2008, 10:11 PM
I'll be doing 2 a week I hope but insurance is a joke Is 200 quid more from a 1.2 2004 clio to a 1.4 megan :s all depends on the car and ur age

dirrty
27-10-2008, 09:10 PM
I'll be doing 2 a week I hope but insurance is a joke Is 200 quid more from a 1.2 2004 clio to a 1.4 megan :s all depends on the car and ur age
yeah. ive been looking for cars which are in low insurance groups n engine size n shizz, but still havent found insurance for cheaper than 2000. so annoying lol.

wolfsburg
27-10-2008, 09:44 PM
i cba to go through previous threads so i thought id just make a new one.

anyway yeah, i have a few questions which i hope some of you can answer please. i know some of the answers will vary from person to person, but i just want like a general idea.

how many lessons did you take? 9 hours then 1 before the test

how much did they cost? about 20 quid each
how long did it all take, from first lesson to final test? 1-2 months
how much is your insurance and do you pay monthly or annually? 1700 on 1.9 Golf, pay monthly
is your insurance with/without pass plus? without
are you on your parents insurance, or on your own? parents

soz if some of these are like a bit personal or pointless. you dont have to answer all of em, but i just wanna know what to expect, and i guess this thread could help others if they want to know the same thing aswell.

im asking all of this as i took my first 2 driving lessons today, with the first 4 lessons being £7.50 (18 quid after). also, ive done numerous costings online for insurance, and i havent found one cheaper than £2500.

thanks

see above, car is group 10 but new one next week is group 13.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!