PDA

View Full Version : *URGENT* Chemistry Help! *Chemical Names and Formulas*

Grimmauld
29-10-2008, 10:14 PM
Well, I'm currently failing the class of chemistry which I take as a honors course due to the exams being 55% of my grades. I've began to taken it seriously now and I really need help with some stuff in there.

Chemical Names and Formulas-
my teacher expects me to know most of the anions like acetate and thiosulfate and their formulas.. which i dont get much because as notes he gave us this: Potassium Permanganate is K+1 MnO1/4(the numbers are suppose to be small) and equals to KMnO4(on top) which makes no sense whatsoever to me.. and a second example he gave was Iron(III) dichromate is Fe+3Cr2O7(bottom)2-(top) equals Fe2(Cr207)2.

can anyone please explain it better than this teacher i have for chemistry? because he really doesnt explain it well or i just dont get it.. and for the people who dont get what the point of this is I NEED HELP WITH THE CHEMICAL NAMES AND FORMULAS OF CATIONS AND ANIONS WHEN THEY ARE TOGETHER/SEPARATE!

Grimmauld
29-10-2008, 10:37 PM
Well, I'm currently failing the class of chemistry which I take as a honors course due to the exams being 55% of my grades. I've began to taken it seriously now and I really need help with some stuff in there.

Chemical Names and Formulas-
my teacher expects me to know most of the anions like acetate and thiosulfate and their formulas.. which i dont get much because as notes he gave us this: Potassium Permanganate is K+1 MnO1/4(the numbers are suppose to be small) and equals to KMnO4(on top) which makes no sense whatsoever to me.. and a second example he gave was Iron(III) dichromate is Fe+3Cr2O7(bottom)2-(top) equals Fe2(Cr207)2.

can anyone please explain it better than this teacher i have for chemistry? because he really doesnt explain it well or i just dont get it.. and for the people who dont get what the point of this is I NEED HELP WITH THE CHEMICAL NAMES AND FORMULAS OF CATIONS AND ANIONS WHEN THEY ARE TOGETHER/SEPARATE!

adding more information: so far ive known this, can someone tell me if its right or not?

Radium and Permanganate = Ra2+ MnO1-/4 (the numbers are suppose to be small) So that would come out to be Ra(MnO4)2 right? a simple one would be Copper(II) and Fluoride which is Cu2+ F1- = CuF2 because Copper is +2 while fluoride is -1 so fluoride would need 2 of itself to be equal with copper?

Holofoil
29-10-2008, 11:46 PM
No one on here would be able to explain it better than the teacher... Just ask him to explain it after class... Or read the textbook

Grimmauld
30-10-2008, 12:42 AM
yeah im going for tutoring, can smoeone close this.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!