PDA

View Full Version : Roy Keane Quits Sunderland

Geo23
04-12-2008, 12:00 PM
Roy Keane has left his position as manager of Sunderland, BBC Sport understands.
Sunderland have yet to confirm the exit of Keane, who was set to give a news conference at 1300 GMT ahead of Saturday's game at Manchester United.
The Black Cats are 18th in the Premier League and have lost five of their last six games.
The ex-Manchester United midfielder took over at Sunderland in 2006 and led them to the Premier League in 2006-07.
Keane, 37, has said in recent weeks that his future may not be certain hinting that he could leave the club.

Not Confirmed but looks really likey he has walked

and Its a big shame to see a good manager quit .

Jamie!
04-12-2008, 12:33 PM
Keegan-esque?

Takes all the credit when they do well but bottles it when everything starts to crumble.

Loser
04-12-2008, 03:11 PM
Good move by him. Wouldn't want to tarnish his CV by being fired from Sunderland.

Cisse9
04-12-2008, 03:49 PM
Not Confirmed but looks really likey he has walked

and Its a big shame to see a good manager quit .

Keano hasn't proved anything, apart from managing to get us into the premiership at first attempt, other than that he has had a board which gave him all the freedom in the world and alot of money to spend. spent 40 million to keep us up in the first season, then over 45million on players in the second season and we find ourselves in the bottom 3.

Keane will never get the same ammount of freedom as he did at sunderland, [unless he goes to manage ireland.]

In the end he's bottled the chance.

Minstrels
04-12-2008, 03:51 PM
silly move. hes had great backing by the chairman. shows he is inept.

Geraint
04-12-2008, 04:30 PM
the players weren't listening to him. it was inevitable.

Cisse9
04-12-2008, 04:39 PM
the players weren't listening to him. it was inevitable.

If thats the case, then the players must of realised that hes lost the plot.

ie. dropping Anton ferdinand one of our best defenders.

Grainger@CUFC
04-12-2008, 04:45 PM
Could be seen coming with the results they've had. Should've at least been in there to try and get some safety back into their position - would have been better than simply walking away when in trouble.

Andys
04-12-2008, 05:27 PM
sore looser.
allardyce is favourite for the new gaffa.

Titch
04-12-2008, 05:41 PM
rumours flying around on some forums he has left becuase he has been offered a coach role at united so he can take over from fergi when he leaves? presonally i think thats complete ********, just thought see wt u lot think.

Geo23
04-12-2008, 05:55 PM
I think he was good enough manager after getting them out of the relgation zone 2 years ago and then going on to win the championship title.

He then made sunderland a good lower prem team last year , I think some of his signings were not good and maybe a experienced number 2 would have helped him out but I think he still is a decent and promising manager.

Browney
04-12-2008, 06:03 PM
cracked under pressure. we've all seen how volatile he is under pressure, especially in his playing days. I wish he'd have had patience though, he had alot of freedom, alot of opportunities at Sunderland and a board that wanted to go places. but he quit when the going got tough. I didn't think he was the type.

Arron
04-12-2008, 06:35 PM
Personally I think it's a good move for Keane, better then being fired.

But where next?

Maybe he should go to the championship and try and promote a team into the premiership, unless he wants to wait till a Premier League Manager quits their job and he may look into it :)

Someone posted earlier that rumours are spreading that Keane will take over as Man Utd manager when Sir Alex retires, I can not see this happening.

Jack.Lfc
04-12-2008, 06:43 PM
He cracked under pressure

brandon
04-12-2008, 06:45 PM
He's seriously overrated anyway

Arron
04-12-2008, 06:54 PM

Yeah I agree.

Cisse9
04-12-2008, 07:02 PM
Personally I think it's a good move for Keane, better then being fired.

But where next?

Maybe he should go to the championship and try and promote a team into the premiership, unless he wants to wait till a Premier League Manager quits their job and he may look into it :)

Someone posted earlier that rumours are spreading that Keane will take over as Man Utd manager when Sir Alex retires, I can not see this happening.

Don't think he would of got sacked, he admitted that he couldn't take the club further, but to be fair he's left us with a good team [not premier league position], but this team is good enough to finish mid table.

bring on SA.

Arron
04-12-2008, 07:06 PM
Don't think he would of got sacked, he admitted that he couldn't take the club further, but to be fair he's left us with a good team [not premier league position], but this team is good enough to finish mid table.

bring on SA.

Hmm Sam Allardyce, a better experienced manager but I'm not sure he will do good either.

Access
04-12-2008, 07:07 PM
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a307/beaton_88/Picture001-1.gif

Edited by Hayd93 (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not pointless post

luce
04-12-2008, 07:13 PM
silly move. hes had great backing by the chairman. shows he is inept.

bias

he will end up somewhere big one day if he plays his cards right. he's always welcome at Old Trafford

JackBuddy
04-12-2008, 07:50 PM
sore looser.
allardyce is favourite for the new gaffa.
what better way to get back at newcastle?! :eusa_clap

Andys
04-12-2008, 07:51 PM
what better way to get back at newcastle?! :eusa_clap
nah if we wanted that we'd get keegan or shearer :P

Cantona7
05-12-2008, 12:22 AM
How is he seriously over rated? He got an average championship team into the Premiership and kept them up. He did a great job imo but Sunderland fans are deluded and think that they are a top 10 side and booed him when they got a bad result. Sunderland fans are clueless and I hope they get relegated and struggle in the championship again. Keano will be laughing at the fans when it happens. :8

Jamie!
05-12-2008, 11:25 AM
rumours flying around on some forums he has left becuase he has been offered a coach role at united so he can take over from fergi when he leaves? presonally i think thats complete ********, just thought see wt u lot think.

he will end up somewhere big one day if he plays his cards right. he's always welcome at Old Trafford
United may aswell start preparing for life in the Championship if they are seriously going to consider having Keane as manager. He spent over £80million on players (mediocre players at best too...) and what have they achieved? Sweet **** all.

I think he was good enough manager after getting them out of the relgation zone 2 years ago and then going on to win the championship title.

It was about 3 games into the season when he took over, hardly in a relegation fight were they?

iDenning
05-12-2008, 12:47 PM
He cant handle sunderland, never mind Man utd.

Andys
05-12-2008, 03:20 PM
Top 3 faves are big sam, strachan and curbishley.
i'd be happy with any, but i'd rather curbishley :P

edit: lmao
20/1 Houllier
22/1 Jol
22/1 Grant
25/1 Eriksson

i wish :P
ooooh and phil brown at 18/1!

Minstrels
05-12-2008, 03:22 PM
Putting my money on Curbs.

Browney
05-12-2008, 05:15 PM
Big Sam said he'd love to manage Sunderland and he is definately intrested if Niall will have him.

Cisse9
05-12-2008, 05:33 PM
Hmm Sam Allardyce, a better experienced manager but I'm not sure he will do good either.

Look what he done at bolton took a team with nothing into europe, and got players like Diouf Anelka Djorkiev campo etc.

Reflex
05-12-2008, 10:48 PM
lol, after Bolton give them a nice trip to the cleaners, keane walks. ;)
Ex-United players having a tough time eh.

Big Sam deserved another shot in the premiership, after watching him at Bolton, I'd love to see him back managing again.

Geraint
05-12-2008, 11:40 PM
Sunderland will need a whole new team if they want Big Sam. He's a physical guy and likes physical players.

leah
06-12-2008, 03:24 AM
I liked Roy Keane as a manager tbh.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!