PDA

View Full Version : Should Britian join the euro?

Clowgon
18-12-2008, 10:11 PM
Day by day, the pound is failing. Will the pound recover? Yes but, not for awhile.

Being Briish myself, I do see the pound sterling as part as Britain's culture but I don't think it will last forever.

e5
18-12-2008, 10:13 PM
It will. Trust me;)

Alkaz
18-12-2008, 10:16 PM
We have been a member state of the EU for 25 years and havn't taken on the Euro yet and we shouldnt. We need some kind of independance to go with being an island on our own. So I say no, it will recover.

scottish
18-12-2008, 10:18 PM
We won't join the euro so no point in debate.

brandon
18-12-2008, 10:18 PM
The Pound will recover, I know it will, I'm sure it will. Please say it will recover, it breaks my heart in two with what's happening with the Pound at the moment.

Wayne
18-12-2008, 10:19 PM
Hopefully not, we're unique. :P

Alkaz
18-12-2008, 10:20 PM
The pound getting weaker means more tourists which means pound will become stonger YAY :)

Blue
18-12-2008, 10:21 PM
Sooner or later some leader will come along and think "Hmm, for my next holiday, i want to go to spain, but I don't want to change my money! Euro time" and make sucha big fuss over it.
Sooner or later, we will get the Euro.

scottish
18-12-2008, 10:22 PM
It means exports are cheaper, imports are dearer

Atm euro is £1 > EUR 1.053 o.0

Geraint
18-12-2008, 11:20 PM
prices will just increase rapidly if we go to the euro.

Clowgon
18-12-2008, 11:49 PM
We won't join the euro so no point in debate.

Since when could you read the future?

scottish
18-12-2008, 11:52 PM
Dude, don't you know who i am and what i'm capable of?

leah
18-12-2008, 11:53 PM
No, I like the fact that we're individual and use the pound.

Metric1
19-12-2008, 12:19 AM
Isn't britian part of europe??

scottish
19-12-2008, 09:53 AM
yh it is in europe

Wootzeh
19-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Isn't britian part of europe??
well done proving americans are clever.

N-Dubz
19-12-2008, 11:17 AM
euro is to confusing and everythings more expensive.

kk.
19-12-2008, 11:22 AM
One of the main reasons we will probably never join the euro is because the euro bank has completely different interest and inflation rates. Had we already joined it we wouldn't hve been able to reduce the interest rates in recession or change VAT. We have different policies an so changing would cause a major uproar. Also, every single shop would have to change every items price along with tills and any other infrastructure they have using the pound

Not only that, but consumers will lose out. It would be an opportunity for businesses to raise prices as they will tend to round up rather than down

JackBuddy
19-12-2008, 11:44 AM
I'd rather keep hold of the only remaining thing thing that makes us British. Any government that tries to use the euro will have the general public on their back, and I don't think they're gonna want that.

Most currencies are doing badly at the moment, it will recover eventually.

Virgin Mary
19-12-2008, 02:14 PM
um no i'm not some spanish freak

The Cullens
19-12-2008, 02:19 PM
ew. ew. ew. ew.
no way. the euros are thin and ugly.
sterling ftw. x

Jordan:A
19-12-2008, 02:20 PM
Yeah and the sudden change will be confusing

The Cullens
19-12-2008, 02:45 PM
Have to agree there.

BRITAIN'S RESPONSE:
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

alexxxxx
19-12-2008, 04:04 PM
I'm pro-euro because it makes economic sense to do so. The problems are that we won't be able to set our own interest rates to suit our individual island. Benefits include being in the largest currency (larger than the dollar).

Soon, Oil and Metals will be sold in Euros not Dollars because of the dollar's decreasing value, so it makes sense for us to join the euro, so commodities don't rise in price as volitiley as they do now. The dollar is being destroyed by low interest rates atm and so is our pound as this means that investors don't put money in UK accounts as they won't gain much money in interest.

Nationalistic comments are not a good enough reason to not join; it's short-sighted and stupid.

BUT THE WAY OUR GOVERNMENT IS BORROWING MONEY ATM I DON'T THINK WE'D BE ALLOWED TO JOIN. PLUS the rate is so crap atm we will lose alot of our savings in 'real' value.

The Euro is in demand, pounds and dollars aren't at the moment... so yes, we should. We need to be in a big bloc to prosper, economies of scale and all that. We won't benefit from cheap exports because we simply don't export anything apart from fianacial services...

GommeInc
19-12-2008, 05:04 PM
I'm pro-euro because it makes economic sense to do so. The problems are that we won't be able to set our own interest rates to suit our individual island. Benefits include being in the largest currency (larger than the dollar).

Soon, Oil and Metals will be sold in Euros not Dollars because of the dollar's decreasing value, so it makes sense for us to join the euro, so commodities don't rise in price as volitiley as they do now. The dollar is being destroyed by low interest rates atm and so is our pound as this means that investors don't put money in UK accounts as they won't gain much money in interest.

Nationalistic comments are not a good enough reason to not join; it's short-sighted and stupid.

BUT THE WAY OUR GOVERNMENT IS BORROWING MONEY ATM I DON'T THINK WE'D BE ALLOWED TO JOIN. PLUS the rate is so crap atm we will lose alot of our savings in 'real' value.

The Euro is in demand, pounds and dollars aren't at the moment... so yes, we should. We need to be in a big bloc to prosper, economies of scale and all that. We won't benefit from cheap exports because we simply don't export anything apart from fianacial services...
It'll make economic sense NOT to join. It will cost businesses billions to change their signs to euros which, as you may have noticed, is why VAT cuts aren't displayed in stores, rather, discounted at the tills e.g. Tescos still do it. The risk of a huge uproar from citizens and businesses alike is far too great to join a currency which a single country has no real control over.

Pyroka
19-12-2008, 06:09 PM
No it shouldnt.

alexxxxx
19-12-2008, 06:16 PM
It'll make economic sense NOT to join. It will cost businesses billions to change their signs to euros which, as you may have noticed, is why VAT cuts aren't displayed in stores, rather, discounted at the tills e.g. Tescos still do it. The risk of a huge uproar from citizens and businesses alike is far too great to join a currency which a single country has no real control over.

These are one-off costs. Every other european country managed to get over this. How come it makes sense for Germany (larger economy than us) but not us.

cocaine
19-12-2008, 06:21 PM
i think one of the reasons for not switching would be that the pound/euro exchange rate is not exactly £1 to €1

scottish
19-12-2008, 06:25 PM
These are one-off costs. Every other european country managed to get over this. How come it makes sense for Germany (larger economy than us) but not us.

given the current times for the whole economy everyone in business to change every price would cost thousands per store (depending if they have catalogue etc) and would just generally make stuff worse atm as prices would go up due to the cost of changing everything and so on.

Sammeth.
19-12-2008, 06:35 PM
I think we should follow the Monster Raving Loony Party's policy which is to not take on the Euro, but to invite European Countries to take on the GBP :8!

Metric1
19-12-2008, 07:00 PM
well done proving americans are clever.

Well done trying to be clever, but I'm not American!

Clowgon
19-12-2008, 07:01 PM
Dude, don't you know who i am and what i'm capable of?

Nope. I don't know who you are and what your capable of. :)

luce
19-12-2008, 10:24 PM
We should have joined it when the pound to euro was £1.40 because everything would have been so much higher but now we are all going to fail miserably.

Geraint
19-12-2008, 10:48 PM
I'd go into a massive thing on why we shouldn't switch to the Euro but I'd just confuse myself.

alexxxxx
20-12-2008, 10:22 AM
i think one of the reasons for not switching would be that the pound/euro exchange rate is not exactly £1 to €1

That would be a reason NOT to take the euro.

The Cullens
20-12-2008, 10:30 AM
If we did join I wouldn't buy anything.

scottish
20-12-2008, 12:26 PM
That would be a reason NOT to take the euro.

isnt that exactly what he said?

AlexOC
20-12-2008, 01:45 PM
Ewww i dont want another curency, It would be wierd.

We would need to make new slang names, like we have 'quid', but euro notes are pretty and colorful :)

alexxxxx
20-12-2008, 01:52 PM
isnt that exactly what he said?

no, what i meant that Parity would be disastrous if we joined the euro. Billions of pounds would be lost in value and we'd be the poor man in europe.

and if you really think that staying with the pound for 'cultural' reasons as the only reason, then you need to get your priorities right imo.

I personally don't think any of us are knowlegable about macroeconomics and stuff to really have a decent debate about this.

scottish
20-12-2008, 02:14 PM
yh but you said to him

'thats a reason NOT to switch'

when he said

'i think the reason NOT to switch is because..'

so i dnt get it :S

kreechin
20-12-2008, 02:37 PM
It was rejected before and hopefully will be again. :)
Why bother going through all the trouble of having to change prices in shops all over the UK when we can keep it the same and save all the hastle.
Plus it's nice to find coins that are really old. :)

DeejayMachoo$
20-12-2008, 05:23 PM
It would be easier for holidays ect but ni the pound should stay were unique!

Andeeh
20-12-2008, 06:06 PM
i reckon it will become more stronger so no

Geraint
20-12-2008, 10:40 PM
yh but you said to him

'thats a reason NOT to switch'

when he said

'i think the reason NOT to switch is because..'

so i dnt get it :S

Ah, no. Cocaine was saying that we should wait until the pound and the euro are worth exactly the same. By doing this it would mean we would get less for our money, as alex was stating.

Agnostic Bear
21-12-2008, 12:25 AM
No goddamn, the euro is starting to fail, a few member states are considering leaving the euro and going back to their currency, the Pound is one of the strongest currencies going.

Hazzles
21-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Chances are we will get the Euro, but not for a while.
A recession is hardly the best time to switch currency, and we wont be outta that for a looooong time.

scottish
21-12-2008, 01:02 PM
we won't.

Decapitated
21-12-2008, 01:12 PM
no because i don't understand it ;[

kk.
21-12-2008, 01:31 PM
no, what i meant that Parity would be disastrous if we joined the euro. Billions of pounds would be lost in value and we'd be the poor man in europe.

and if you really think that staying with the pound for 'cultural' reasons as the only reason, then you need to get your priorities right imo.

I personally don't think any of us are knowlegable about macroeconomics and stuff to really have a decent debate about this.
I disagree, i would say only a handful of people would be able to debate it. But im not gonna debate it because i have my own portfolio to do on if the economy really has been affected by the credit crunch or were we already heading to a recession. (btw, stupid title because its a bit obvious that it has :P)

no because i don't understand it ;[

you dont understand it?? its exactly the same but is just a euro. 100C to 1 euro..??

Bun
22-12-2008, 09:30 PM
We have been a member state of the EU for 25 years and havn't taken on the Euro yet and we shouldnt. We need some kind of independance to go with being an island on our own. So I say no, it will recover.
35 :P

and no we shouldn't, it serves the french ******* who wouldn't let us in the EU straight away right!

Alkaz
22-12-2008, 09:33 PM
Oh ye, I knew it was 1973, I for forgot about we was in 2008 LOL

But ye, I think it would be a bad thing for us to join the EU currency, they control much of the UK already.
+ Sammeth. its GBP because the great british pount is great! I wouldnt like a GBE.

--ss--
22-12-2008, 09:33 PM
No, we will recover and dominate again.

Clowgon
23-12-2008, 09:17 AM
we won't.

nothings the impossible. You may not be around to see it happen but as we are a member of the the European Union some stupid people in the Brussels probably tell us either to change to Euro's or leave the EU.

I'm 100 Percent certain will will do in the future.

scottish
23-12-2008, 12:36 PM
I'm telling you, no.

Clowgon
23-12-2008, 12:49 PM
I'm telling you, no.

And I'm telling you, YES!

scottish
23-12-2008, 01:03 PM
Then clearly you're wrong, so don't bother.

Clowgon
23-12-2008, 02:03 PM
Then clearly you're wrong, so don't bother.

Then clearly you're wrong, you don't know what the country will do in the future, so don't bother.

scottish
23-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Don't underestimate me.

Clowgon
23-12-2008, 02:52 PM
Don't underestimate me.

Just did. ;)

scottish
23-12-2008, 03:51 PM
Fool on you then, anyways back on topic.

No we're not joining the euro, debate over.

Ajthedragon
23-12-2008, 08:20 PM
Once Gordan and Labours kicked out, the pound will go up.

flyingbrick
24-12-2008, 12:57 AM
Once Gordan and Labours kicked out, the pound will go up.

Are you actually trying to suggest that a global economic depression can be solved by sacking the British Government and bringing in a bunch of useless upper-class noncies with the nouce of a gang of drunk gerbils?

And no, I don't think we should adopt the Euro. That would be awful and confusing.

scottish
24-12-2008, 01:08 AM
Labour pwns.

Sarah
24-12-2008, 07:40 AM
Oh when I was at school my business teacher told us that we didn't join the euro in the first place was because they would set some rates (interest rates or something I'm not sure) in one place and are high? I think because people in Europe rent not buy so we wanted to set our own rates? Agh I dunno!

Minstrels
24-12-2008, 07:58 AM
Bring on the Euro!

Kevin
24-12-2008, 12:16 PM
In Ireland, the euro was brought in in 2003, Everyone was reluctant to switch from Irish Pound to euro, but we finally decided it's the right thing to do as the euro can be used in many countrys

The euro has many plus sides

You can travel to most european countrys without switching currency
The Euro is very strong as it is used all over the world
And many many more

scottish
24-12-2008, 01:11 PM
Oh when I was at school my business teacher told us that we didn't join the euro in the first place was because they would set some rates (interest rates or something I'm not sure) in one place and are high? I think because people in Europe rent not buy so we wanted to set our own rates? Agh I dunno!

If we joined the euro then yes they MPC wouldn't set the interest rate any more, which means it'd be the same as everyone else in euro. So if our inflation went up we wouldnt be able to use monetary policy to attempt to lower it.

Clowgon
24-12-2008, 02:01 PM
Bring on the Euro!

You love that bring on the wall game show don't you. :P

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!