PDA

View Full Version : Rethinking what I'm trying to achieve..

Holofoil
05-01-2009, 09:28 AM
Heyyyy
So I took Art, DT Resistant Materials, Maths & Economics for A levels. These were kind of because I was thinking of doing Architecture, and also partly because I just picked the 4 subjects I least hated. But I don't want to do Architecture now. My favourite and strongest subject without a doubt is Art, and I enjoy the project and practical work in DT, but not the theory (Which is like 50%). And then there's maths which I'm alright at (A* GCSE) but I hate it, and Economics which is going horrifically. I've got about 4 Es and a D in the end of topic tests so far.
So my friend told me about an Art BTEC (worth 3 A levels) she's doing and apparently it's awesome and I really regret not doing it :l Because art is the subject I've always been fascinated by and I can do it as a hobby, and I never see it as work. But if I keep forcing myself to do other subjects which i don't enjoy, my art will suffer... I was told at the end of the day if I want to do Art in Uni all I need is one A level in art, and another 2-3 in anything, but now I feel like I'm wasting my 2 years in 6th form doing stuff I don't enjoy when I could be doing what I do enjoy. Dropping out isn't really an option since it's already been 4 months, and I doubt any college would let me in. I guess there's not much you could say but I just wanted to have a moan :P
Thankyous x

JackBuddy
05-01-2009, 10:41 AM
If you want to go to uni then I wouldn't bother with BTECs.

Why don't you check out some of the requirements of the unis and look at what subjects they prefer?

www.ucas.com

Holofoil
05-01-2009, 11:34 AM
I'm more concerned about doing something I don't enjoy for 2 years though.. Either way I'll go to Uni.

partie2
05-01-2009, 12:28 PM
I did a multimedia BTEC at college and it was great. Still have the same chance of getting into uni as someone who did a levels. I see it as if you dont enjoy what your doing then you might aswell look into doing something else you do enjoy instead of wasting 2 years.

Barmi
05-01-2009, 01:39 PM
If you're then considering to do Art at university, you should generate a reasonable understanding (now!) of what you expect after university. It's all well and good enjoying it... as long as you know you can move on from there.

We cannot enjoy everything we do. Personally, I would have you stick with what you are doing. Maths A-level will be useful for virtually any job in the future when mixed with your other options.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!