PDA

View Full Version : Should our councils ban "inappropriate" street names?

Dan2nd
07-01-2009, 07:22 PM
New road names with rude connotations could soon be banned in part of Sussex to avoid "deliberate misinterpretation".

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45350000/jpg/_45350767_rude_juggs-close.jpg

But throughout England streets including "Grope Lane" and "Titty Ho" have a rich history.

Lewes District Council wants to clean up its street names.

The local authority believes it will help emergency and postal services by carefully vetting what new roads are called.

A report says "aesthetically unsuitable" names such as Gaswork Road, Tip House and Coalpit Lane should also be avoided, along with any double entendres.

But Rob Bailey, co-author of Rude UK, believes rude-sounding place names have a cultural significance.

I think sanitising [street names] takes away the industry and distinctiveness of many areas

Rob Bailey, author

The book, along with later publications Rude World and Rude Britain, explores the history of such names including Weeford, in Staffordshire, Scratchy Bottom, Dorset and Lickey End in Worcestershire.

**** Lane in Haydock, Merseyside, for example, got its name from the coal **** heaps which used to characterise the area, Mr Bailey said.

While Juggs Close, in Lewes itself, is thought to have got its name from baskets in which fish were carried (known as juggs).

"I think sanitising [street names] takes away the industry and distinctiveness of many areas like the sluicing of the fens or the coal-mining of the north," Mr Bailey said.

Rob Bailey has co-written three books about "rude" place names

The idea from Lewes council is nothing new.

In the late 1800s authorities amended a number of street names deemed inappropriate, he said.

"This latest sanitation is redolent of what the Victorians would have been doing in the past when they tried to get rid of some of the richest road names that we have."

Mr Bailey, who grew up in a place in Oxfordshire called Tumbledown ****, said he feared vetting new road signs could lead to "mediocre and meaningless" names spreading across the country.

But some residents who live in strangely-named places do find it a struggle.

Tired of pranks

In 2003 Paul and Lisa Allott moved from their bungalow in Conisbrough, South Yorkshire, after becoming fed up of living in Butt Hole Road.

The family said they had grown tired of groups of youths posing for photographs by a street sign near their front wall with their buttocks bared.

Taxis and delivery men often failed to turn up, as they did not believe the road existed, Mr Allott said.

Mr Bailey believes the name may have originated as a reference to a nearby water source.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45350000/jpg/_45350796_rude_scratchy-bottom.jpg

The name Scratchy Bottom, in Dorset, is thought to refer to a rough hollow

Dr Oliver Padel, president of the English Place Name Society, based in Nottingham, said street names which today could have double meanings existed for many reasons.

"Sometimes a name had a completely different meaning and it developed over the years into something now we can potentially see as having a rude meaning.

"On the other hand some roads were supposed to have an intended meaning."

Grope Lane, in Shrewsbury, Shropshire, for example, was once the town's red-light district, he said.

"I think very often the names do enshrine part of the local history and it's desirable to keep the name when you can.

"I would say that a name is a historic document in itself - they deserve to be recognised."

It is the epic debate the world has been waiting for.... should our English towns keep our awesome street names or should 'rude' street names be banned by our local councils? :8

Metric1
07-01-2009, 08:01 PM
morningwood drive lol

Alkaz
07-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Its absoultely rubbish!

Nixt
07-01-2009, 08:13 PM
On the basis that we are currently going through a severe economic crisis and everyone is soon going to start feeling depressed, I would say they should keep them as comic relief for those who are feeling like killing themselves.

scott
07-01-2009, 08:18 PM
I cant think of any street with names like that here :(

flatface
07-01-2009, 08:49 PM
KEEP them :D

Alkaz
07-01-2009, 08:50 PM
Its so silly, them sort of names were probally around long before us and meant something totally different back then. Why change it because we changed meanings of words tbh.

Dan2nd
07-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Its so silly, them sort of names were probally around long before us and meant something totally different back then. Why change it because we changed meanings of words tbh.

I agree with you however I'd love to live down 'Butt Hole Road' just for the comedic value :P

Alkaz
07-01-2009, 08:56 PM
Lol, its like gay, it used to mean happy, now it means someone who has relationships with same sex. Big change much?

Immenseman
07-01-2009, 08:59 PM
lol that's a stupid idea they should stay i can't imagine that any council would actually change them unless they wanted some critical publicity, all publicity is good publicity i suppose

LoveToStack
07-01-2009, 09:00 PM
Seems stupid to me. Loads of random 'sanitizations' as of late Black/Whiteboards etc, I think it's all unnecessary. People who take offence about this need to get a grip imo.

tdi
08-01-2009, 12:25 AM
WHEN WILL IT END?

beth
08-01-2009, 12:34 AM
they should keep them because they're historical, and once apon a time juggs close wasn't so "rude".
society's just became more crude.

GommeInc
08-01-2009, 12:45 AM
... No :P It'll cost councils alot of money to change harmless road names.

Casual
08-01-2009, 01:03 AM
Whats so bad? people need to lighten up and get a sense of humour if they don't find scratchy bottom farm funny ;)

tdi
08-01-2009, 01:17 AM
it's because everyone's so damn 'pc' and it's taking the piss now. it's ridiculous.

Rapidshare
08-01-2009, 01:31 AM
What makes you think this is gonna make it easier for the police to find where you are? :rolleyes:

They couldnt even find my sidewalk, so i doubt changing street names will help.

Imo, should be adding more information more like :/. also found out that they cant track your phone lolol

leah
08-01-2009, 07:23 AM
no they shouldn't some of the names are hilarious

Zak
29-01-2009, 01:38 AM
Yeah I think they should.. no1 wants to see these kinda street names..

I wouldn't mind if they had to change my street name.. I'd be glad to change from something like Juggs close lol :P

partie2
02-02-2009, 08:24 PM
This is just stupid there is no need to change street names which have been around for years because of people who dont want to see something that says 'JUGGS ROAD' because there so overally PC.

Cwmbran
02-02-2009, 08:30 PM
This is so stupid lol.

There is a street in my town called Beddick now you do kind of associate the two things together which kind of leads me to believe that who ever made the name was having a laugh but it wouldnt be Cwmbran without a bit of beddick.

No they should not ban them

drama
02-02-2009, 08:32 PM
we have a 'badcock road' lol

and a Green Haze Lane, epicccc street name

Traume
02-02-2009, 09:54 PM
they dont do any harm. just make you laugh
they arent bad :(

GommeInc
03-02-2009, 12:37 AM
Not sure if I've posted this before, but I'll post it anyway.

It's not the road signs that are inappropriate, it's the people thinking they are that are inappropriate. These people need shooting, they really do.

Frodo13.
03-02-2009, 02:38 PM
They just give me a cheap laugh tbh. The people who find them offensive need to get a life.

There is a street in my town called Knób Fields...gotta love it :)

kuzkasate
03-02-2009, 05:56 PM
Thats like... stupid? Say someone was called Gaylord and someone didnt like it, it does not then mean that they have to change there name?

Hazzles
25-02-2009, 08:44 PM
I would LOVE to live down Grope Lane.
Or Titty Ho.
Nothing wrong with stupid humour.

Yoshimitsui
25-02-2009, 08:47 PM
But they are not inappropriate, people have just made them out to be. And becuase some people just have dirty minds and need to grow up.

e5
25-02-2009, 08:50 PM
lololololol

scratchy bottom
LOLLLLLLL

the people jus shudnt call the thingies tht and its not rly a big deal :l

Jord
26-02-2009, 07:56 AM
No, It will be alot of hassle for everywhere to change there info just because the street names was inappropriate

Youheard
26-02-2009, 12:37 PM
PC gone mad tbh.

There is a lane in my town called puck lane :rolleyes:

Kipp
26-02-2009, 11:40 PM
Keep them :D

Jordan:A
28-02-2009, 08:59 PM
It is the epic debate the world has been waiting for.... should our English towns keep our awesome street names or should 'rude' street names be banned by our local councils? :8
LOL
SCRATCHY BOTTOM

tdi
07-03-2009, 04:13 AM
instead of spending all the taxpayer's money changing street names and making new signs how about they fix the ******* centre of the earth pothole at the end of my street?!

FlyingJesus
07-03-2009, 06:43 PM
lmao it would be Sussex Council trying to do this

Hazzles
07-03-2009, 09:23 PM
Anyone know where Scratchy Bottom is? [LOLOLOLOL]
It says Dorset, but where?

AlexOC
08-03-2009, 02:38 PM
LOL, its stupid, spend the money on summot useful.

AgnesIO
08-03-2009, 06:35 PM
Ridiculous plan.

.:.:jjm261:.:.
08-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Woot woot, there's a bit in there about a town near me, i often noted the road name "Butt Hole Road" ;D

But yeah, dont ban them :(

untrustus
08-03-2009, 07:50 PM
we have one round here called snatchup

keep 'em i sayy

Smarteh.
09-03-2009, 09:52 PM
Well many names were there before words started to go a bit slang. And changed a bit so they shouldnt really be banned.

Mikey
09-03-2009, 09:56 PM
They should keep them as it would confuse people.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!