PDA

View Full Version : AS Maths - C1.

CHA!NGANG
07-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Is anyone doing this Module on Friday? I have no clue where to start with revision and I'm really not ready for it lol.

Bun
07-01-2009, 08:26 PM
yes i absolute despise it! i used to like GCSE maths but i absolutely hate this. i know how to do everything just i have no clue when to USE what formula and stuff :(. i'm going to do awful but everyone thinks i'm going to do good, i'm dooooooooomed!

Immenseman
07-01-2009, 08:27 PM
lol all my mates are really worried about it - people in year 13 who have done it say c1 is the easy bit and it gets harder - i feel for you! lol good luck :D

Kardan
07-01-2009, 08:27 PM
I'm revising through it now, I guess taking it a year early doesn't help either :(

Revising area under a curve at the moment.

Bun
07-01-2009, 08:32 PM
lol all my mates are really worried about it - people in year 13 who have done it say c1 is the easy bit and it gets harder - i feel for you! lol good luck :D
everybody has said that, i'm so dropping maths after first year - regardless of what my dad thinks! :eusa_wall:(

Immenseman
07-01-2009, 08:35 PM
everybody has said that, i'm so dropping maths after first year - regardless of what my dad thinks! :eusa_wall:(

lol maths was always my weakest point, i struggled at gcse level

Bun
07-01-2009, 08:36 PM
lol that's the weird thing. it was my favourite subject at gcse, i love mental maths and stuff but hate core maths!

CHA!NGANG
07-01-2009, 08:46 PM
GCSE Maths was easy compared to this stuff. It's meant to be the easiest unit and its really hard lol. I can get bits of it and struggle with others.

Eamonn
07-01-2009, 08:58 PM
i've got it on friday as well :\
it's crazy, i think i can do most of it, but then when it comes to exam questions that i've been practicing, i'm like wth?
january is too early to do this exam, especially straight after christmas.

Kardan
07-01-2009, 08:58 PM
Ah well, if I fail this core, I can drop back to the FSMQ.

Alkaz
07-01-2009, 08:59 PM
Tbh I wouldnt worry about it too much, this girl she got a U in this one and bad grades in the others and stilll got a good grade at the end, and let he do it at A2 level.

Mitch4?
07-01-2009, 09:11 PM
before the christmas holidays i got 52% in a mock,
then 64%, then 92%
but i havent revised for maths over holiday really, ive done like two hours in 3 weeks compared to like 20 in physics. and im gonna fail cause i tried to do an exam today and it went completly wrong.
:S

Bun
07-01-2009, 09:42 PM
it's too much especially being straight after christmas and i have an english language and law exam as well!

Josh-H
08-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Yep I've got it tomorrow too.
Hope they don't throw us a horrible question to mess us up.

Tintinnabulate
08-01-2009, 05:17 PM
I am doing a resit on this tomorrow to try and get an A. I hate this module, find it the hardest. I got higher in C2 and S1 :\ Most people do worse in S1 and C2.

Soka
08-01-2009, 07:51 PM
i got 90/100 in C1 first time, was wellllllll pleased.

as soil said though, don't worry if you don't do as well as you wanted to first time, because you can resit in a years time (i say a year, rather than 6 months) because once you've done the differentiation/integration, algebra and functions in C3 you'll find C1 an absolute doddle.

Immenseman
08-01-2009, 07:57 PM
i got 90/100 in C1 first time, was wellllllll pleased.

as soil said though, don't worry if you don't do as well as you wanted to first time, because you can resit in a years time (i say a year, rather than 6 months) because once you've done the differentiation/integration, algebra and functions in C3 you'll find C1 an absolute doddle.

you're like one of the most intelligent people on the forum though so you don't count, soz.

N!ck
08-01-2009, 10:49 PM
C1 is a piece of piss. It's just GCSE maths. If you're struggling with C1 you don't really have much of a chance with the rest of the course (no offence).

C1 covers a lot of the basic skills you need for the rest of the maths course, so it would be of great use to try and be competent at it.

Mitch4?
08-01-2009, 11:46 PM
it's too much especially being straight after christmas and i have an english language and law exam as well!

i has further maths exams, chemistry tomorrow, and physics ones on top of the maths!! I win on having too much!
i'm coping, just about.
Need to get some sleep for i have 2 exams tomorrow!

luce
09-01-2009, 07:41 AM
GCSE Maths was easy compared to this stuff. It's meant to be the easiest unit and its really hard lol. I can get bits of it and struggle with others.

Coz i did my GCSE early this year i've started C1 and ive asked me teacher to let me see C4 and there is so much difference between two! I'm not allowed to take AS yet but i've been studying it and yeah it's kinda the same stuff in some ways just a bit harder :D

Plank
09-01-2009, 10:57 AM
Just back from C1 (OCR MEI), it was way easier than I expected. I could answer every single question with confidence.

CHA!NGANG
09-01-2009, 04:04 PM
Woo it went well :D I did OCR too. The first section was easy apart from one which was the 125 Root 5 and change it to x^ of something. I got upto 3^3 Root 5 but then messed it up but I will get 1 out of 2 marks. Second section was reasonable except from a few bits like the last part of the last question which was hard. 11 Was easy, 12 was easy apart from the first bit. I'm aiming for 60-65 out of 72 which is an A. I'm well happy because I thought I was gona fail lol.

Kardan
09-01-2009, 04:09 PM
I did AQA, thought it went rather well actually.

Mitch4?
09-01-2009, 04:50 PM
I did excel, new i was going to have to retake because i'll need like 95%++
so im happy, be suprised if i get below an A.

Immenseman
09-01-2009, 04:51 PM
lol a few of my mates said it was hard a few said it was easy hope you all did well :D

Alkaz
09-01-2009, 04:53 PM
My friend who gets like straight A's said it was ok-ish so I wouldnt have had a hope in hells chance :P My friend in Y13 said she only knew 3/10 questions :o

Immenseman
09-01-2009, 04:54 PM
yeah but even people who get a in maths gcse find as level maths hard. tbh, i think you have to be suited to maths, you either are or aren't.

Soka
09-01-2009, 05:05 PM
i resat OCR C1 today because it was free, and my name was down - didn't even know.

If anybody else did OCR C1 (NOT THE MEI), and wants me to post the answers let me know because i've got them all. I can explain how to get to the answer if your wondering why it is that. Having seen the answers i think i've got 70/72 which will hopefully be enough for 100 UMS, if grade boundary low enough. I think the first sitters will have found it quite hard because it was a thinking paper, and not just standard differentiation/stationary points. Last question which you'd think is differentiation is infact equating simultaneous equations, and then using the discriminant to get the values. If i'm the only person doing C1 OCR (NOT THE MEI) ignore the above. :P

Alkaz
09-01-2009, 05:08 PM
ksoz..

Immenseman
09-01-2009, 05:08 PM
i resat OCR C1 today because it was free, and my name was down - didn't even know.

If anybody else did OCR C1 (NOT THE MEI), and wants me to post the answers let me know because i've got them all. I can explain how to get to the answer if your wondering why it is that. Having seen the answers i think i've got 70/72 which will hopefully be enough for 100 UMS, if grade boundary low enough. I think the first sitters will have found it quite hard because it was a thinking paper, and not just standard differentiation/stationary points. Last question which you'd think is differentiation is infact equating simultaneous equations, and then using the discriminant to get the values. If i'm the only person doing C1 OCR (NOT THE MEI) ignore the above. :P

you dropped two marks?!?! pathetic :lol:

Soka
09-01-2009, 05:10 PM
you dropped two marks?!?! pathetic :lol:

yeah im really annoyed because its just because i put a quadratice inequality the wrong way round :eusa_wall

Immenseman
09-01-2009, 05:12 PM
yeah im really annoyed because its just because i put a quadratice inequality the wrong way round :eusa_wall

oxford won't accept that, i think you should drop your dreams - get an apprenticeship :D

kk.
09-01-2009, 05:16 PM
Just back from C1 (OCR MEI), it was way easier than I expected. I could answer every single question with confidence.

Woo it went well :D I did OCR too. The first section was easy apart from one which was the 125 Root 5 and change it to x^ of something. I got upto 3^3 Root 5 but then messed it up but I will get 1 out of 2 marks. Second section was reasonable except from a few bits like the last part of the last question which was hard. 11 Was easy, 12 was easy apart from the first bit. I'm aiming for 60-65 out of 72 which is an A. I'm well happy because I thought I was gona fail lol.

awww you did the same one as me. I found it fairly good actually. im not too sure how i did but i already have 80/100 (A). just want to boost my mark up so i have some leeway for c3 c4

Bun
09-01-2009, 06:17 PM
it was okay... :eusa_shif

Britvic
13-01-2009, 08:41 PM
I don't know why I took maths, it is so boring.
Luckily, I didn't have to do this module test.

Eamonn
13-01-2009, 10:51 PM
LOL mine went slightly crappy
the first five questions and number seven were easy, but the other five were awful, four of them were curve questions and i hate curves and then the sequence question (surprisingly) was like the hardest question in the paper, opps.

Tintinnabulate
15-01-2009, 08:50 AM
The last 5 mark question was easy, I wrote the correct equation but put in the wrong number so I was there for 10 mins trying to work it out :\ gah.

Barmi
15-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Hope it went well for everyone who sat it! :)

Someone said earlier in this thread that each core module is more difficult than the previous one, and that is true. Heck, I scored 94 in my C1, 90 in C2, and scored so low in C3 that I had to sit the exam again when I sat C4.

I would say C3 was the most difficult (because vectors in C4 are easy!), but aim to do the best you can do in each paper and facilitate for the chance of dropping more marks on each paper. Going for those high marks in any of your first year exams really does help when you get to your second year. :)

Edit: By the way, congratulations Soka!

irJen
15-01-2009, 01:14 PM

Yeah, my two close friends do Maths and Further Maths A2...

C3 and C4 look a nightmare and M1, M2- avoid them if you can!

kk.
15-01-2009, 01:21 PM
M1's easy... Its jsut like physics only the maths side of things

irJen
15-01-2009, 01:28 PM
M1's easy... Its jsut like physics only the maths side of things

Not so easy if you've drop Physics though.

kk.
15-01-2009, 01:31 PM
i dont do physics and its still reasonably easy. The only challenging thing about it is resolving forces and still thats pretty easy. (mind you, im not sure if the specs are the same across the boards. Im doing MEI)

N!ck
15-01-2009, 05:40 PM
M1 is very easy, and M2 is only slightly harder than M1. C3 is the one i'm currently hating lol.

Soka
15-01-2009, 06:46 PM
Cheers Barmi!

i've sat C3 today and seen mark scheme. Think i've got around 64/72 which should be decent A, as boundaries last two periods have being 51/72 for A, and 55/72. Also done FP1 today which is quite hard.. hoping for low grade boundary as i made too many silly mistakes. Possibly got 60-62/72. I'll be doing M1 in june Nick so starting it soon, i've had enough of damn resolving forces and projectiles in my physics exam today :P Is it good/bad? I know you do physics Nick too, so is it harder than mechanics in physics or easier? I've had 6 hours of exams today (3 hours maths, 3 hours physics), i'm mentally exhausted.. and i'm off to work in half hour :( And need to revise for Accounts tomorrow

kk.
15-01-2009, 06:52 PM
ill tell you soka. We have two 'sets' in our option column which all got jiggled this year because there were people who had done physics and people who hadnt. They'd finished M1 within a month because its pretty much the same. If your doing MEI i can give you the chapter titles in the textbooks if you like.

We do projectiles and resolving forces too which is basically the only challenging thing on the syllabus. congrats too ;)

N!ck
15-01-2009, 07:46 PM
Cheers Barmi!

i've sat C3 today and seen mark scheme. Think i've got around 64/72 which should be decent A, as boundaries last two periods have being 51/72 for A, and 55/72. Also done FP1 today which is quite hard.. hoping for low grade boundary as i made too many silly mistakes. Possibly got 60-62/72. I'll be doing M1 in june Nick so starting it soon, i've had enough of damn resolving forces and projectiles in my physics exam today :P Is it good/bad? I know you do physics Nick too, so is it harder than mechanics in physics or easier? I've had 6 hours of exams today (3 hours maths, 3 hours physics), i'm mentally exhausted.. and i'm off to work in half hour :( And need to revise for Accounts tomorrow

I'm doing the AQA course for both Maths and Physics. The mechanics in maths is very similar to what you do in physics, but without the written answer parts (ie. explaining why something did what it did and definitions). It's all just the mathsy side of the physics, but the maths is more advanced then the maths you would look at in physics, for instance you may have to use the quadratic formula to get your final answer in maths mechanics whereas in the physics version you would get nicer numbers and easier to find answers but have a bit of written explanation to do as well.

In the maths one it seemed to me like we looked at less different topics, but the ones we did were done in much more of the mathsy detail compared to physics. In maths M2 some of the topics are those that you did in physics mechanics, but didn't do in M1 - but in much more detail than you did in physics.

Bevvie
16-01-2009, 04:27 PM
I did C1 last friday. The MEI OCR Pure Mathematics.
I found it pretty hard. Well section A was fine, Section B was not too good.

I think i may resit it!

DieselShaq
17-01-2009, 01:42 PM
C1 IS SO EASY! I just did my mock (year 11) and seriously, no worries about it. My teacher also wants my class to do C2 and S1 this year, so yeah... There isn't much for C1, to be honest...

leah
18-01-2009, 12:44 PM
I can't believe you'd want to take maths lol

DieselShaq
18-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Maths is the easiest subject to gain high grades, because there is only ONE correct answer to every question and you don't have to justify your views or whatever, unlike in English or history. Neither do you have to explain anything, unlike in sciences.

kk.
18-01-2009, 03:18 PM
C1 IS SO EASY! I just did my mock (year 11) and seriously, no worries about it. My teacher also wants my class to do C2 and S1 this year, so yeah... There isn't much for C1, to be honest...

seriously, starters, depends what course you do. Also, C1 is basically GCSE maths depending on the course. C2 --> slightly harder but doing C3 it seems piss tbh. S1, yes, reasonably easy. It was one of my further amths modules until i dropped it and it was basically what the people at gcse did for their statistics.

Maths is the easiest subject to gain high grades, because there is only ONE correct answer to every question and you don't have to justify your views or whatever, unlike in English or history. Neither do you have to explain anything, unlike in sciences.

Hmm, no. One mistake = a lot of marks lost, especially in a long question. English is subjective to the reader but creativity will be rewarded. And history??!?!?!? surely its only correct because its been and gone?! You have to remember things in maths and science. I bet you dont take neither?? im not sure but it seems like you are defending your own subjects because you dont want to be proven that you are taking easier subjects.

The apparent 'easier' subjects are also dependant on the individual. I found history hard, along with geography but find maths relatively easy. The opposite would be said by a person who hates maths and loves geography

N!ck
18-01-2009, 03:30 PM
seriously, starters, depends what course you do. Also, C1 is basically GCSE maths depending on the course. C2 --> slightly harder but doing C3 it seems piss tbh. S1, yes, reasonably easy. It was one of my further amths modules until i dropped it and it was basically what the people at gcse did for their statistics.

Hmm, no. One mistake = a lot of marks lost, especially in a long question. English is subjective to the reader but creativity will be rewarded. And history??!?!?!? surely its only correct because its been and gone?! You have to remember things in maths and science. I bet you dont take neither?? im not sure but it seems like you are defending your own subjects because you dont want to be proven that you are taking easier subjects.

The apparent 'easier' subjects are also dependant on the individual. I found history hard, along with geography but find maths relatively easy. The opposite would be said by a person who hates maths and loves geography

I agree. I find maths and physics easy and psychology hard. And some people think it's a mickey mouse subject as well :S.

Barmi
18-01-2009, 05:37 PM

I don't agree with DieselShaq in that it is one of the easiest subjects to achieve the higher grades... but I do feel obliged to point out a minor correction.

One mistake does not necessarily equal "a lot of marks lost". Method marks (M1) are very, very useful. Okay, if you make a mistake and come to the wrong final answer you might lost the answer mark (A1), but the questions carrying the big marks will usually award you method marks, assuming your method is correct of course. It is very careful to check your work, but everyone makes silly mistakes and exam boards recognise this.

The best (and I would like to see anyone contest this) way to revise for any Maths exam is to work through all previous exam papers from your exam board, and check the mark scheme afterwards to learn from your mistakes. More often than not, the papers are very repetitive. I probably didn't do enough C3 papers the first time round.

kk.
18-01-2009, 07:27 PM
I don't agree with DieselShaq in that it is one of the easiest subjects to achieve the higher grades... but I do feel obliged to point out a minor correction.

One mistake does not necessarily equal "a lot of marks lost". Method marks (M1) are very, very useful. Okay, if you make a mistake and come to the wrong final answer you might lost the answer mark (A1), but the questions carrying the big marks will usually award you method marks, assuming your method is correct of course. It is very careful to check your work, but everyone makes silly mistakes and exam boards recognise this.

The best (and I would like to see anyone contest this) way to revise for any Maths exam is to work through all previous exam papers from your exam board, and check the mark scheme afterwards to learn from your mistakes. More often than not, the papers are very repetitive. I probably didn't do enough C3 papers the first time round.

Method marks yes, but you tend to get the right answer if you used the correct method. If you dont, then you lose the m1 mark and the correct answer mark. And this could throw you off other answers. Yes i know there is sometimes the follow through marks but not always.

And i wont disagree with you about past papers. They have helped me soooooo much in every subject, especially ICT LOL. It also makes you revise every single thing rather than just parts that you like and tells you where you go wrong, but also what to include so you can ensure you get the maximum marks

JackBuddy
18-01-2009, 07:37 PM
I agree. I find maths and physics easy and psychology hard. And some people think it's a mickey mouse subject as well :S.
Psychology is such a stupid subject. All it tests is your essay writing skills and ability to remember case studies.

Axel
18-01-2009, 07:55 PM

What sort of C1 are you talking about? The first question on each topic?

Ramones
18-01-2009, 07:58 PM
I remember doing c1 last year, i got a B in it, 5 marks off A, and i'm not great at maths. After january exams i couldn't be bothered with maths anymore, i got an E in c2 and a U in Decision1 haha

kk.
18-01-2009, 08:40 PM
D1 is the worst, most ridiculous module ever. No wonder you got a U lol

Mitch4?
18-01-2009, 11:20 PM
D1 is so easy rly.
c1 was easy compared to what ive just started on fp1 :(
and i highly doubt you're going to do 3 modules in year 11, unless your in a really high up grammar school.

Kardan
18-01-2009, 11:24 PM
D1 is so easy rly.
and i highly doubt you're going to do 3 modules in year 11, unless your in a really high up grammar school.

3 modules in Year 11? I'm doing that, a complete AS-Level and I'm in Year 11 and I'm in a really crap school.

Soka
19-01-2009, 08:39 AM
D1 is so easy rly.

thanks for help on M1, kk. and Nick. What you just started on FP1 mitch? Complex numbers? When you get more into it you'll realise complex numbers are the 'banker' questions on exams. Wait to you get to matrices row operations to solve equations if you make one mistake the whole question goes wrong :P

With maths everyone has different abilities and different times it takes for a method to sink in - i find the best way is to just practice until it clicks into place. I've got my D1 Exam at half 1.. i'm just going to go through some past papers (best way to revise maths) now. D1 is so different to everything else so i am not a big lover of it myself. I agree Nick.. people say accounting is a mickey mouse subject.. yet i find it harder than Maths, Further Maths and Physics and it was my lowest UMS score last year too. And i think the exam this period has being my worst module by a mile.:eusa_wall

C1 may seem easy.. but on the odd occasion they do throw in a 7 mark question or something at the end thats a one liner. Where you have to think about it, and sometimes have to do what you'd think not to. (One like that came up this year) and many first sitters who i know said they didn't have a clue.. you can pick up method marks.. but lots of people started diffrentiating here when you were supposed to use discriminants. C1 grade boundaries can be ridiculously high as well so you cannot afford to be dropping many marks if you want a high score. So make sure you check through your work thoroughly. After sitting C3 you have a greater knowledge so i'd advise resitting C1 if you want to boost your score.

kk.
19-01-2009, 10:05 AM
I agree, D1 was my worst module but compared to what i was getting in the year, i improved a lot or just fluked the exam. I hated how it wasnt really maths, you follow a set of rules and thats it. Nothing to do with maths really. All the algorithms were tedious especially when you could see what the answer was straight away without any working out.

Good luck with your exam today

Soka
19-01-2009, 10:58 AM
I agree, D1 was my worst module but compared to what i was getting in the year, i improved a lot or just fluked the exam. I hated how it wasnt really maths, you follow a set of rules and thats it. Nothing to do with maths really. All the algorithms were tedious especially when you could see what the answer was straight away without any working out.

thanks, i'm doing old spec. still so its got Simplex Algorithm in it which its totally crap lol. I always seem to make a mistake on bubble sort.. yeah i could train my 4 year old cousin to pass D1 its just about learning set of instructions. I got to do D2 aswell in june :$

Bun
19-01-2009, 05:11 PM

ooh i like D1 because i'm good with mental maths (if i do say so myself ;)!). sounds daft but i'm sharp with all the paths in my head etc :P, much prefer them to bloody core maths! core maths is not my maths :'(.

Mitch4?
19-01-2009, 07:56 PM
3 modules in Year 11? I'm doing that, a complete AS-Level and I'm in Year 11 and I'm in a really crap school.

That's really really odd,
doing your GCSE maths and coursework and an as in maths, confused but okay.

Also, on Fp1 my teacher went through an overview of everything we're going to leaarn in this module, and my head like exploded haha :(

I've nearly finished chapter one already, and it was easy and fast, so thats not bad. But i do assume it gets harder.

I'm a great lover of D1 now, haha i quite liked the exam.

Soka
19-01-2009, 08:00 PM
That's really really odd,
doing your GCSE maths and coursework and an as in maths, confused but okay.

Also, on Fp1 my teacher went through an overview of everything we're going to leaarn in this module, and my head like exploded haha :(

I've nearly finished chapter one already, and it was easy and fast, so thats not bad. But i do assume it gets harder.

I'm a great lover of D1 now, haha i quite liked the exam.

what exam board are you with? I had D1 today too and hated it :P

nnader
19-01-2009, 08:04 PM
lol, im teaching myself D1, D2, M1 and FP1 this year and im doing C1 C2 and S1 in normal lessons.

I dont think theyre that bad and C1 wasnt that bad tbh.

best way to practice maths is just do papers :) gl all

Mitch4?
19-01-2009, 10:04 PM
what exam board are you with? I had D1 today too and hated it :P

edexcel.
which ive heard is bad for maths?!
but idk
im just doing M1 homework now, how boringg.

kk.
19-01-2009, 10:20 PM
ooh i like D1 because i'm good with mental maths (if i do say so myself ;)!). sounds daft but i'm sharp with all the paths in my head etc :P, much prefer them to bloody core maths! core maths is not my maths :'(.

im the opposite to you then :P. I like the feeling when you work something out in the core modules.

got my M1 exam on wednesday, MEI OCR, anyone in the same boat? I like M1 because i always wanted to do physics. I never had the chance to change because it was over subscribed :'(

N!ck
19-01-2009, 10:34 PM
edexcel.
which ive heard is bad for maths?!
but idk
im just doing M1 homework now, how boringg.

I quite liked Edexcel maths at my secondary school. Preferred their style of writing questions to the AQA i'm currently on at sixth form.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!