PDA

View Full Version : [Gays] Do you get offended..

Dentafrice
16-01-2009, 10:53 PM
When someone says "that's gay" or "your gay" or "thats queer" or something like that?

Please tell us why and if you do.

ToxicPaddy
16-01-2009, 11:32 PM
When someone says "that's gay" or "your gay" or "thats queer" or something like that?

Please tell us why and if you do.

I'm not gay, but I don't see how you can use the word gay as an insult.

Put it this way:
If you call someone gay, there's 2 ways it can be taken. One is that, you are gay, so how can it be an insult because its a factual statement. The other was is it's not true, so if it's not true, how can it be an insult?

Sammeth.
17-01-2009, 12:58 AM
No, because I use those terms myself. It would be so petty in my opinion to start getting offended over the littlest things and naming everything as homophobia. Getting offended by that is gay.

buttons
17-01-2009, 01:04 AM
No, because I use those terms myself. It would be so petty in my opinion to start getting offended over the littlest things and naming everything as homophobia. Getting offended by that is gay.
so r u!!!!11
and lol. referring to them as GAYS (even though that's what they are) does sound harsh :D

leah
17-01-2009, 01:39 AM
"[Gays]" <-- SMOOTH!! lol
I wouldn't see how it is offensive tbh

HELPER-Ghost
17-01-2009, 01:55 AM

I agree, i'm gay and i use it too.

RandomManJay
17-01-2009, 03:10 AM
I would say these terms aren't really seen as an inference of sexuality anymore, so calling someone gay doesn't have the same effect as it would have decades ago since its used so much by society that the word as an offence has lost meaning and can be seen as just a word used to imply 'I'm trying to offend you'.

Also, my friends and I use those terms as well, some of which are gay (including myself to some degree since I'm bi), and we don't take offence, or imply the very meaning of the word to the insult ;).

*I know, It's a bit long winded.*

beth
17-01-2009, 03:24 AM
i'm not gay, but tbf i find yr title slightly offensive, rofl. it's just a bit blunt. OI GAYZZZ?!?!?!?!

but yeah, i don't agree gay should have a negative connotation, but it does and it's so thoroughly used in modern society, i think many gay people have just come to terms with it. cause you're not gonna singlehandedly flush it out.

Awfy
17-01-2009, 03:42 AM
How can they take it as an insult since it's technically not their word anyway. I don't remember the Oxford just agreeing to hand over the common word for happy to a sexual preference...

beth
17-01-2009, 04:19 AM
How can they take it as an insult since it's technically not their word anyway. I don't remember the Oxford just agreeing to hand over the common word for happy to a sexual preference...
that isn't the argument though, you could say that about any word in the english dictionary.
that's like calling someone a ******** and then saying "how can you be upset, it's not your word anyway."

Slowpoke
18-01-2009, 01:59 PM

Put it this way:
If you call someone gay, there's 2 ways it can be taken. One is that, you are gay, so how can it be an insult because its a factual statement. The other was is it's not true, so if it's not true, how can it be an insult?

Not really, say if you were to call someone a nobhead, most people would feel offended although it's obviously not a factual statement.

Technologic
18-01-2009, 02:34 PM
lmao no. i say it all the time and im gay.

Monopoly
18-01-2009, 02:38 PM
lol, no.
i'm gay and i use it more than anyone i know prolly.

Moh
18-01-2009, 02:49 PM
I'm Bi, and I use them all the time :)

A friend I know who uses them now and then always says sorry to me tho :P

Excellent2
18-01-2009, 04:26 PM
What about shirt lifter? Do you get offended over that?

Clowgon
22-01-2009, 04:57 PM
I'm bi myself - I pretty much use the word "Gay" all the time.

I think the word gay isn't really much of a :O now, than maybe 70 years ago?

My form Teacher uses it very often.

scottish
22-01-2009, 05:01 PM
noone seems to mind, i use *** gay and queer all the time. o.0

Metric1
22-01-2009, 09:34 PM
I have a friend that is gay so I have to watch what I say. I always used to say that's gay, or you're a *** but I thought about it and I learned that it sounds stupid and it does not make sense, so I use other words instead.

kk.
22-01-2009, 09:36 PM

Put it this way:

do you call someone straight?!

Moh
22-01-2009, 09:42 PM
do you call someone straight?!
I guess some gay people could be offended by that :P

The reason people use gay as an insult, is because their using it to referee to something bad, i.e. "That's so gay!". So their not saying something has a sexuality, their saying "That's so stupid" or "That's so ****".

So if a gay person thinks straight activity is disgusting, then they could be insulted by it?

kk.
22-01-2009, 09:52 PM
yeh but if you say something like, that's so gay, as in to something bad, then gay people may take that as gay being a bad thing. This would make them be offended by the use of the term because its used for insults when its actually perfectly natural to them

Moh
22-01-2009, 09:54 PM
yeh but if you say something like, that's so gay, as in to something bad, then gay people may take that as gay being a bad thing. This would make them be offended by the use of the term because its used for insults when its actually perfectly natural to them
Well its usually used without thinking, so their not personally trying to offend.

kk.
22-01-2009, 09:55 PM
true, but its the fact that its so commonly used now because it was used to cause offence. Now, not so much, but some may still find it offensive

Moh
22-01-2009, 09:58 PM
true, but its the fact that its so commonly used now because it was used to cause offence. Now, not so much, but some may still find it offensive
And some just like to use it as an excuse to bash at straight people xD

kk.
22-01-2009, 09:59 PM
yeh but that would be going back to the point, why should being gay be an insult!?

Technologic
22-01-2009, 11:17 PM
yeh but that would be going back to the point, why should being gay be an insult!?

Because the bible said so.

kk.
22-01-2009, 11:25 PM
For example, many Christians don't know that:

Jesus says nothing about same-sex behavior.
The Jewish prophets are silent about homosexuality.
Only six or seven of the Bible's one million verses refer to same-sex behavior in any way -- and none of these verses refer to homosexual orientation as it's understood today.
http://www.soulforce.org/article/homosexuality-bible-gay-christian

PriceTags
23-01-2009, 11:52 AM

The way Oxford works is to find out what words are being used, in what context and what to mean, and report on that in their dictionaries. They don't say "gay means happy, here homosexuals, you can have it". It's fallen into use, and Oxford have reported that. Its first use in a sexual context was about prostitutes. If you sold your body, you were 'gay'. If you look in the Oxford dictionary today, the meaning of homosexuality would be in there as well as that of jolly and cheerful.

Sammeth.
23-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Yeah, exactly. Society decids the meanings of words. For example, the word ******* used to be a perfectly acceptable term for someone with Cerebral Palsy and there used to be The ******* Society which was a charity for those sufferers. However due to society and people taking that word and adding negative connotations to it, the charity had to change their name to Scope and now the word ******* isn't exactly a nice one. After a word gets used enough and enough eventually the meaning will simply change to what is the most common usage, whether it be a good use or a bad use.

leah
23-01-2009, 02:54 PM
Yeah, exactly. Society decids the meanings of words. For example, the word ******* used to be a perfectly acceptable term for someone with Cerebral Palsy and there used to be The ******* Society which was a charity for those sufferers. However due to society and people taking that word and adding negative connotations to it, the charity had to change their name to Scope and now the word ******* isn't exactly a nice one. After a word gets used enough and enough eventually the meaning will simply change to what is the most common usage, whether it be a good use or a bad use.
Exactly, thats why sometimes the Law is misinterpreted because of the way society change the meanings of words over periods of time.

James!
23-01-2009, 03:01 PM
I agree, i'm gay and i use it too.Your avatar is beyond lame. Nobody cares that you're gay so why put it in your avatar? :S

scottish
23-01-2009, 03:48 PM
Your avatar is beyond lame. Nobody cares that you're gay so why put it in your avatar? :S

although i dont particularly like gays but still at that your comment is pretty lame.

Some people put women with basically nothing on in their avvy they do that because they like the image, not to show that their straight?

James!
23-01-2009, 03:53 PM
although i dont particularly like gays but still at that your comment is pretty lame.

Some people put women with basically nothing on in their avvy they do that because they like the image, not to show that their straight?I was referring to his pic which his main aim for that was to let everybody know he's gay. I don't paticuarly want to see two boys kissing tbh.

Bun
26-01-2009, 09:40 PM
Exactly, thats why sometimes the Law is misinterpreted because of the way society change the meanings of words over periods of time.
oh don't get into statutory interpretation :(, i had enough of that on my law exam.

Mitch4?
26-01-2009, 11:27 PM
i bend over all time and i still call people/things gay

Throne Sofa
27-01-2009, 12:50 AM
gays get offended too easily.

leah
29-01-2009, 02:54 PM
oh don't get into statutory interpretation :(, i had enough of that on my law exam.
rofl sorry!

i bend over all time and i still call people/things gay
love your posts mitch xox

Soy
29-01-2009, 03:03 PM
I hope they do feel offended

Edited by Garion (Forum Moderator): Please do not be rude / make homophobic comments, thanks :)!

IceNineKills
29-01-2009, 06:17 PM
i live in brighton so gays and and straights are all the same.

Bun
29-01-2009, 10:52 PM
you're all gay.

Jasxn
29-01-2009, 10:55 PM
If i was gay i wouldnt find it offensive and tbh i dont, tis only a word .. calm down!

If you take it as an insult there is summit up with you as its the truth if you are gay, so err why bother? You cant be insulted by the truth tbh.

Sammeth.
30-01-2009, 03:25 PM
gays get offended too easily.

I don't! :)

I hope they do feel offended

-SCREAMS OMG WHAT WHY :(

Soy
30-01-2009, 07:02 PM
I don't! :)

-SCREAMS OMG WHAT WHY :(

Because I want to (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=B1Aj_rVWb20)

CrazyColaist
31-01-2009, 10:38 PM
thats queer im fine with. because if you use old english. coz i say thats queer alot. but thats gay. my friends use it im not bothored.

Casanova
17-02-2009, 08:18 PM
I don't find any of the terms insulting, if I were to call you straight if you were gay - would you be offended?

What I find offensive is when someone calls we a "little ******* ******" for instance... they're trying to cause insult and have a problem with it.

But even *** and queer I don't find offensive because they have grounding in the english language. They weren't actually insults to start of with. It really depends on the context.

lew!
17-02-2009, 08:25 PM
I'm gay, and i use the term myself. Im not homophobic (obviously) and i dont get offended as its slang//

Pix
18-02-2009, 07:18 PM
If you are offended you really are gay.

rnix
18-02-2009, 10:04 PM
Im gay and i use
"Thats gay"
etc.
:)
x

GTA-Andy
19-02-2009, 06:49 PM
Its annoying, that's what. Its no insulting, and its no descriptive. You can only be insulted by it if you're homophobic. It offends me.

<hypocrite> However as a Cumbrian, I use queer constantly, but as strange, not queer. </hypocrite>

Nixt
19-02-2009, 07:15 PM
I am gay, and it doesn't offend me at all. In fact I use it on a regular basis.

drama
19-02-2009, 08:07 PM
I guess some gay people could be offended by that :P

The reason people use gay as an insult, is because their using it to referee to something bad, i.e. "That's so gay!". So their not saying something has a sexuality, their saying "That's so stupid" or "That's so ****".

So if a gay person thinks straight activity is disgusting, then they could be insulted by it?
don't get many heterophobes though :P

Twist
19-02-2009, 08:21 PM

Put it this way:
So? Doesn't matter if it's not true it's still an insult.

Moh
19-02-2009, 08:42 PM
don't get many heterophobes though :P
I mean calling a gay person straight :P

e5
19-02-2009, 08:47 PM
lol I try to watch when I say "that's well gay" or something on this forum as I know gay people will read the post LOL.

Sameer!
21-02-2009, 03:11 PM
No one really says those to me, sometimes my mates say it to me but I know they're only kidding. :P

RageAgainst
21-02-2009, 08:50 PM
In my opinion Gay people shouldnt whine and should just be happy that the government allows them to live the unhealthy life they are living :rolleyes:

Supersam
21-02-2009, 09:04 PM
I have a gay friend and he uses it more than anyone I know...

Infact he has called his boyfriend a 'cigarette' before so I guess it depends on the pragmatics really.

iBlueBox
21-02-2009, 11:51 PM
when some one says ''thats so gay'' i always say nah ''thats so straight''

Scribbles-.
22-02-2009, 07:15 AM
lmao im not gay

but i wouldn't get offended because there using it as a slang for like that is dumb.

Ali
22-02-2009, 10:05 AM
if i was gay i wouldnt get offended by it because i know thats its an overused expression and some people dont even know they are saying it. i can see how it would be offensive though

Soy
23-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Gay means Good-as-you

So being called gay isn't offensive if you think about it logically

Wootzeh
24-02-2009, 01:24 PM
Gay means Good-as-you

So being called gay isn't offensive if you think about it logically
Since when did it mean that. . .?

Charlie
24-02-2009, 01:34 PM
I do it myself so why would it bother me? And as the old saying goes, sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me and it's true. Just because someone can go "you're gay" doesn't mean I'm instantly going to start crying and feel very hurt because it's just a word from someone who probably doesn't know me etc.

Middlesbrough
03-03-2009, 11:16 PM
I'm not gay but if its not directed at you, why would you be offended, even most gays i believe wont take offence if its directed at them tbh

Smarteh.
09-03-2009, 09:29 PM
I dont use those words alot but they might slip out of my mouth by accident. Therefore im not intending of being nasty to gay's. But i wouldnt see it as a offensive word as alot of people say it.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!