PDA

View Full Version : FA Cup rule

Geraint
23-01-2009, 11:15 PM
I was just watching Setanta News and this rule could have applied to Man Utd v Tottenham.

There's a rule which states - If due to injuries, distance etc, you can notify the FA seven days before the tie is due to be played and if the game finishes in a draw, 30 minutes of extra-time will be played with no replay.

It is there to help smaller teams who struggle with replays due to travel costs, work etc. It hasn't been done from the first round onwards for 50 years. Man Utd and Tottenham both have lots of injuries so if both clubs had agreed and notified the FA last week, the game might have gone to extra-time. Interesting.

Jack.Lfc
23-01-2009, 11:15 PM
What do you expect? its man united.

Heart Break Kid
23-01-2009, 11:17 PM
man united wont have accepted... mostly because they love playing the game
their players love it
they will want the atmosphere
also
they get chances to get more goals to their names

also... ticket prices... it will be a high selling game
and ticket prices for the home team will be raking it in

Geraint
23-01-2009, 11:19 PM
man united wont have accepted... mostly because they love playing the game
their players love it
they will want the atmosphere
also
they get chances to get more goals to their names

also... ticket prices... it will be a high selling game
and ticket prices for the home team will be raking it in

I know that but it's a very interesting rule.

Skajo
23-01-2009, 11:20 PM
Rather an ominous statement as Man Utd reserves are probably better than any team in the first round proper and they won't bother with travel etc etc as they're both big clubs.

It's a rule that's never enforced, that's why no-one talks about it. There's probably many others as well.

Either way, enjoy Sunday Geraint. Glad you got a big team and so did we :)

Heart Break Kid
23-01-2009, 11:23 PM
I know that but it's a very interesting rule.

i agree it is a very interesting rule =]
just a shame ive never heard of it before :(

does it also apply to the UEFA cup or the Carling??
Johnstone Paint Trophy etc...?

Geraint
23-01-2009, 11:26 PM
Rather an ominous statement as Man Utd reserves are probably better than any team in the first round proper and they won't bother with travel etc etc as they're both big clubs.

It's a rule that's never enforced, that's why no-one talks about it. There's probably many others as well.

Either way, enjoy Sunday Geraint. Glad you got a big team and so did we :)

I'm guessing you're Adam, with your numberous name and account changes.

Nice to see us face Arsenal in possibly the last FA Cup game at NP. Arsenal v Cardiff was the last FA cup game at Highbury so it could work out to be the seen. Arsenal will have the Grange End, all of it. We shall give NP the send-off it deserves.

Good luck against Villa, because you'll need it. They're a good team and want the Cup.

@HBK - As it's meant to help non-league teams, I'm guessing it's the FA Cup only.

Heart Break Kid
23-01-2009, 11:32 PM
hmmm oooh well thats fair enough
you can see why its in place tho =]

Immenseman
23-01-2009, 11:33 PM
old news!! bothm teams already said they didn't want to implement it

Geraint
23-01-2009, 11:41 PM
old news!! bothm teams already said they didn't want to implement it

in an interview today, fergie knew nothing about it :rolleyes:

Skajo
24-01-2009, 08:43 AM
There's no replays in the UEFA , JPT, LC anyway so there's no need for the rule. Fergie wouldn't know anything about it - neither would most of the top tiers managers.

Heart Break Kid
24-01-2009, 09:10 AM
There's no replays in the UEFA , JPT, LC anyway so there's no need for the rule. Fergie wouldn't know anything about it - neither would most of the top tiers managers.

nah i no
its just 2 legs...
i forgot why i put that now lul :S

CJW93
24-01-2009, 10:52 AM
Interesting rule. I don't think clubs will want this though, because of the money small teams make by going to big clubs and getting a replay back at their place.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!