PDA

View Full Version : Maths...

Hitman
26-01-2009, 08:59 PM
Basically, I'm not great at maths. If somebody gives me something to do on the spot I take a long time, my mind usually goes blank. Even if it's a simple times table. >_< I don't even know all of my times tables greatly, so I'm going to have to learn them better. I found repeating them over and over before I went to bed helped.

In my class most people are good at maths, however I'm not... I think it's like the pressure if a teacher asks something that everybody gets and I don't... I dread being asked maths questions by teachers, even in physics when its to do with numbers.

I'm not stupid - I'm good at Biology, Chemistry, English, Physics, etc. it's just maths.

So, does anybody know a good way to revise maths, such as things like doing quick multiplications/divisions in your head and similar things?

Thanks!

Fifteen
26-01-2009, 09:02 PM
After you've learnt a topic practise it and practise it some more, until its propley sunk in and try to explain to someone how you done it

Jord
28-01-2009, 04:08 AM
Id buy a couple basic posters of time tables I used to have them like

1 times tables
2 times tables
3 times tables

Up to 10 then get a like 10 - 20 Time table one :P And at night time challenge yourself see how much you can do then next night see if you can beat it :]

Inseriousity.
28-01-2009, 08:59 AM
Set realistic targets for yourself (not over the top ones or you'll never do it and then feel even worse about Maths) and stick at them!

I would do what Fifteen said. If you can explain it to someone else, chances are you'll remember it.

scott
28-01-2009, 09:55 AM
Meh, i never could remember my times tables either still cant really but yh when i had to revise for my exams i just wrote them out a few times then read them remembered the for the exam not much after though :(

Immenseman
28-01-2009, 02:23 PM
revision posters

camera
28-01-2009, 02:31 PM
uhm do a page of questions everyday :)
even if u cant solve a question, just try your best then ask someone else to check it for you

scott
28-01-2009, 02:50 PM
Id buy a couple basic posters of time tables I used to have them like

1 times tables
2 times tables
3 times tables

Up to 10 then get a like 10 - 20 Time table one :P And at night time challenge yourself see how much you can do then next night see if you can beat it :]
my primary school had they things, never helped me :(

camera
28-01-2009, 02:51 PM
theres also a song for it. its a funny song but it helps u remember. back in primary school theyd play it during assembly and wed have to sing along.

scott
28-01-2009, 02:54 PM
theres also a song for it. its a funny song but it helps u remember. back in primary school theyd play it during assembly and wed have to sing along.
Ooooo we had one of them for french lol.
And yeah that helped me remember i was singing it in the exam..to myself of course.

Jonster
30-01-2009, 10:30 PM
http://uk.youtube.com/user/glad2teach

There's only currently 6 videos, but I found some of them mildly useful, especially when it comes to no calcs allowed.

camera
31-01-2009, 06:17 AM
the trick for multiples of 9 is very easy.

DieselShaq
31-01-2009, 06:27 AM
All Mathematics is about is to keep doing practice questions. Seriously. There's nothing much more to it.

kuzkasate
03-02-2009, 05:28 PM
I know someone who was graded C and D at practical GCSE. A teacher recommended SkillzWise and Bitesize and that person jumped up to an A/A* and left school with an A.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!