PDA

View Full Version : Year 9 Options.

Eight.
29-01-2009, 04:39 PM
I need help for options I need your opinions on if lessons are fun or a lot of writing.

I wanna do Drama and Graphics and French or Spanish or German Don't know which one to pick.

Sepron
29-01-2009, 04:40 PM
Hmm, if you dont want mich writing and want to have fun but not learn anything at the end of the day i would go for Drama, but it will effect your future.

Malachy
29-01-2009, 04:41 PM
Bascially like me :P. To be honest not much advice I can give you, because I'm in the same position. I want to drop French, and do Drama. All I've got at the moment :P.

J0SH
29-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Business is good I heard, I didn't choose it though.

BeanEgg
29-01-2009, 04:45 PM
To be honest, do what you want to do. - Sometime worth while. Don't just pick a subject because there's no much learning and its practical.

Remember life doesn't start till you have a career and literally play with money. ;)

Go with a wide range of things that interest you.
ICT, Business, French and History in my opinion are the best options you would need.

But it all varies. At least 1 language is important and remember that! :D

J0SH
29-01-2009, 04:51 PM
French etc aren't exactly going to help you when you're older, do something that will benefit you and not just something your mates are gonna choose ;)

Shinigami
29-01-2009, 04:55 PM
yeah, just pick whatever you think youll enjoy or are good at. if you pick graphics be prepared to do the work though, half my class never get it done and like 80% of lessons consists of the teacher asking for coursework and shouting lol.

efq
29-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Is this GCSE options?

J0SH
29-01-2009, 04:59 PM
You live in East London.. What school? PM me if you want, I live in Hackney ;)

e5
29-01-2009, 05:01 PM
Media Studies has by far been my best choice so far. I'm in year 10 now.

RyanDOT
29-01-2009, 05:01 PM
Choose a subject which is related to the job you want in the future..

Like if you want to be a

Journalist, choose Media Studies
Work in a Airport, choose French,German (Any language)

J0SH
29-01-2009, 05:06 PM
Only if he's working in an airport in France will he need to speak french, as they have people to translate if people know 0 English and are lost or whatever.

Glen Coco
29-01-2009, 05:13 PM
well, i'm taking
Geography, Psychology (sp?) , media studies + seperate sciences (hopefully)

J0SH
29-01-2009, 05:14 PM
I do Socialigy, it's good :D

Lee
29-01-2009, 05:47 PM
I personally think Drama is pointless, thats my opinion though, go with your heart :P

BeanEgg
29-01-2009, 06:14 PM
I disagree with a post previously, have a language will for sure help!

Working for a company and saying you know a language will help you move up the chain.

Most companies would love to see someone with at least 1 language, therefore the company can expand.

So always remember that! :D

Kardan
29-01-2009, 06:33 PM
I took Triple Science, French, Geography and IT.

I hate French, but Geography and IT are very easy, but there's a lot of coursework in French, Geography and IT.

Eight.
29-01-2009, 06:34 PM
Ain't Sociology a lot of writing?

Kightly
29-01-2009, 06:38 PM

What you on about, you got to do loads of writing anyway if you choose a good option, so get on with it now or you never will.

Eight.
29-01-2009, 08:28 PM
What you on about, you got to do loads of writing anyway if you choose a good option, so get on with it now or you never will.

Not in all subjects. In practicial lessons you dont.

J0SH
29-01-2009, 09:06 PM
I personally think Drama is pointless, thats my opinion though, go with your heart :P

It's not pointless if you wanna be an actor :P

Not really, all my teacher does is talk really, it concentrates on stuff from family, culture etc to religion, it's a good subject.

Virgin Mary
29-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Unless you need to make choices to do A levels then just pick whatever sounds the most fun. GCSEs are otherwise unimportant.

Jonster
30-01-2009, 10:10 PM
If you aren't going onto A-Levels then pick GCSE subjects in which will help towards your future, not ones that are there to have a piss about in. If you pick subjects that don't vaguely relate to each other, and ones that don't require much knowledge then you'll find it extremely difficult to find a job, or at least one in which you want to take onboard.

J0SH
30-01-2009, 10:32 PM
Here's an example, just for doing 6 units of work in ICT which varies through presentations and such we would get 4 GCSEs so that's one good subject to choose.

Zak
02-02-2009, 11:16 AM
man your young don't pick any languages

Soy
02-02-2009, 03:32 PM
Drama is not pointless at all. Employers see it as a qualification of confidence..

Bren
02-02-2009, 04:52 PM
i took IT, DT (resistant materials), Media studies and Art they were all good :) shame i got D in DT, G in media and E in Art :eusa_whis

J0SH
02-02-2009, 05:06 PM
i took IT, DT (resistant materials), Media studies and Art they were all good :) shame i got D in DT, G in media and E in Art :eusa_whis

Lol, Bren Fox you are pro.

Soy
02-02-2009, 05:21 PM

I'm going to fail media aswell have no idea what the subject is about, haven't finished coursework and got an F in my mock exams

Con
03-02-2009, 04:44 PM
You can't really ask us if lessons are fun.
It purely (in my opinion) depends on who your teacher is, whether you like them, who your classmates will be and whether you like them.
But, You don't know until you choose it.

Choose the subjects you are interested in and/or want to do! :)

I remember being stuck between History and I.T - Wanted I.T because I enjoy(ed) it and wanted History because I was good at it. Ended up with I.T because they were put into the same 'selection block'

Just think about what you want to continue, Which lessons you prefer (purely on the work not who you are with)
Never pick a subject for the teacher! :)

kuzkasate
03-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Sadly, I only had a choice of two options. That sucks so much. I was really annoyed. I chose Seprate Science and Business Studies.

PriceTags
03-02-2009, 05:26 PM
French etc aren't exactly going to help you when you're older, do something that will benefit you and not just something your mates are gonna choose ;)

People who know a language are more likely to get into university and get a better paid job. Sounds like help to me.

Your other reasons not to pick French are also a load of bullsh, because there is a lot of money in interpeting and translating and it could help if you wanted to be an ambassador or work for a government agency or something that works in Canada, Europe or Africa!

To the OP, which language did you do in lower school? I did Spanish, and I don't regret picking it - it's a good variety of work - reading, writing, listening and speaking - I personally find it very interesting, but of course, if you find it boring, there's no point in picking it, unless you want to go on to uni and get a job in business.

Business is a good subject to take, but it is all coursework, meaning that with a bad teacher, it could be really really boring.

History is also one to consider - check your options booklet to see which period your school is offering. For the course I'm doing (AQA Modern History), there will be no coursework for your year, and I'm sure that will be quite similar for other exam boards offering history.

ICT (if it isn't required) is another one to think about, with the OCR National being worth 4 GCSEs (2 A*s and 2 As at distinction).

If you're feeling really stuck, you can see if you can get an interview with a Connexions advisor who can help you choose by looking at what your plans and ambitions are in the future, and what hobbies and interests you have now.

PM me if you want to talk :)!

Eight.
09-02-2009, 08:01 PM
My parents speak french. I am gonna get a interview. I am actually good at all types of History but I only like modern history, I HAVE to pick a language out of French/German/Spanish and 2 subjects, I love ICT. I need to pick one more but I don't know what's fun.

Barmi
10-02-2009, 01:19 PM
I need help for options I need your opinions on if lessons are fun or a lot of writing.

I wanna do Drama and Graphics and French or Spanish or German Don't know which one to pick.
I did OCR Drama, AQA Graphic Products and AQA German – and I enjoyed each of them!

Drama, as you could probably guess, was the light relief of my week because it was so different to any of my other subjects. A very fun option to take, and my confidence grew loads as a result. I had some great Drama teachers so the amount of written work was very little – two portfolios of about 12 pages. That was it. Performing your final performance piece in front of the examiner is so much more nerve-wracking than performing on stage... but you get a huge buzz at the end of it. :)

Graphic Products was a lot of work. Without a doubt, this was a very demanding coursework-heavy course. It is enjoyable and rewarding, but you must be prepared to put the work in. I had so many teachers (and supply teachers) it was ridiculous... but the first teacher and the last teacher were fantastic. The last one really helped me through the last few weeks to achieve a very good grade in a subject that I didn't want to take in the first place (but was the better evil out of the other technology subjects). The exam is ridiculously easy. Seriously, probably the easiest exam I've ever taken.

For any language course, and German in particular, it's incredibly useful to have a dynamic teacher. You also need to put in the time outside of lesson; the amount of time will vary from person to person... some people have a knack for remembering words and structures, but some (like me) don't. Again it's very rewarding when you 'crack' something or see yourself getting noticeably more comfortable with the language. I find German the most interesting out of the three languages you have the choice from, but I only had the choice between French or German. Word of caution: the speaking exam is probably the most terrifying exam experience you'll ever have. Enjoy! :)

clueless
10-02-2009, 04:41 PM
I did art media and history and then french as a language.

To be honest I wouldnt go overboard with thinknig about the future and about ideal careers. Because I dont have a bloody clue what I want to do when I'm older and Im picking sixth form options! As long as you pick subjects you want to do then Im sure you will do just fine in them.

luce
10-02-2009, 04:44 PM
the only option i got for year nine is spanish or german with french still being compulsory lolol

Eight.
10-02-2009, 04:48 PM
OMG QUICK ANSWER!!! - What is Graphics? Where you use photoshop and stuff?

Hazza
10-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Haha, "Drama is pointless" you should try doing it as GCSE before you come out with that bull. I do french, history, drama + ict and drama is the same amount of writing and hard work as all the rest. Drama is the one of, if not, the hardest subject for coursework because you have to write six 1,000 word essays as well as the 6 other practices. So before you mouth off saying drama is easy and relaxed subject then go try it and come back.

cocaine
10-02-2009, 05:12 PM
Only if he's working in an airport in France will he need to speak french, as they have people to translate if people know 0 English and are lost or whatever.

nope, many businesses pay extra if their employees can speak basic in another language. and have you not heard of international businesses?

BeanEgg
10-02-2009, 05:14 PM
Haha, "Drama is pointless" you should try doing it as GCSE before you come out with that bull. I do french, history, drama + ict and drama is the same amount of writing and hard work as all the rest. Drama is the one of, if not, the hardest subject for coursework because you have to write six 1,000 word essays as well as the 6 other practices. So before you mouth off saying drama is easy and relaxed subject then go try it and come back.

We have to do more than that in my English GCSE class. ;)

So yea, as I mentioned above, choosing a language is extremely important. It will help you in every business you join. (High paid job-wise)
ICT, Business are also highly wanted in most professions.

Hazza
10-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Yeah because English is a complusory subject and thats what English is about at school.

cocaine
10-02-2009, 05:16 PM
We have to do more than that in my English GCSE class. ;)

so? english is compulsory...

BeanEgg
10-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Yeah because English is a complusory subject and thats what English is about at school.

so? english is compulsory...

I obviously know that. I was just saying that it's not the hardest subject, so I've heard by many people. (As he said in terms of writing)

Eight.
10-02-2009, 05:21 PM
OMG QUICK ANSWER!!! - What is Graphics? Where you use photoshop and stuff? Can someone help?

Hazza
10-02-2009, 08:37 PM
I obviously know that. I was just saying that it's not the hardest subject, so I've heard by many people. (As he said in terms of writing)
I meant out of the fourth I took.

Pazza
10-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Unfortunately, at my school we only get 2 choices.

I'm choosing music & geography, and history and drama for reserves.

We are also a technology college,

so thats grafix for 1st, food tech for reserve.

You just gotta think what job you want, and what you'll need. I wanna be a pilot , teacher (pref. music), so geography, music and drama are there for me.

Jam
10-02-2009, 08:48 PM
I chose Graphics, Product Design and Double ICT.

Eight.
10-02-2009, 09:15 PM
OMG QUICK ANSWER!!! - What is Graphics? Where you use photoshop and stuff?? Anyone? 3rd time asking...

Barmi
11-02-2009, 12:36 PM
OMG QUICK ANSWER!!! - What is Graphics? Where you use photoshop and stuff?? Anyone? 3rd time asking...
You will primarily look at the images, themes, colours, etc. used in product branding. My main project involved rebranding a high-street chain. Photoshop will be very useful for designing both the visual images for your written portfolio, and the images you will use on your finished mock products. You will mainly work with paper, card, glue, etc. The emphasis is on the visual design.

Eight.
11-02-2009, 09:49 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Graphics and ICT are compulsary. I have pick two subjects by 2moro no.........

PriceTags
11-02-2009, 09:54 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Graphics and ICT are compulsary. I have pick two subjects by 2moro no.........

Have you read your options booklet? Do you have messenger? I am happy to help you choose :)!

Kightly
11-02-2009, 10:00 PM
Just pick the ones you will enjoy and think are the qualifications from it good for your future job.

Eight.
12-02-2009, 07:15 AM
Chose French, History, Art & Design. Thanks Jack for the bringing up History.

Crimson
12-02-2009, 04:55 PM
DONT TAKE BUSINESS STUDIES

Ultimate waste of a GCSE imo... I can't believe I took it. It's awful.

Also... GCSEs are nothing important to your future job - unless you're planning to work in McDonalds. GCSEs are the keys the A levels - which are then important. Pick things you enjoy. I've taken art, which I love, History, which I hate and - guess?

I regret taking history and business studies because I was thinking academically and not about the fun... The only subject I look forward to now is art. :|

PriceTags
12-02-2009, 10:34 PM
DONT TAKE BUSINESS STUDIES

Ultimate waste of a GCSE imo... I can't believe I took it. It's awful.

Also... GCSEs are nothing important to your future job - unless you're planning to work in McDonalds. GCSEs are the keys the A levels - which are then important. Pick things you enjoy. I've taken art, which I love, History, which I hate and - guess?

I regret taking history and business studies because I was thinking academically and not about the fun... The only subject I look forward to now is art. :|

I really like doing history and businesss. I don't regret taking them at all. A bit late to warn him now anyways.

Eight.
13-02-2009, 11:59 AM
No, It's not got up to 2:20 to give it in.

Madox
19-02-2009, 12:37 AM
Ur Best Choices Will Be

BTEC P.E
Media
Bussiness
Georaphy
R.E

These are by far the easiest lessons there are for example bussiness coursework is 40% of ur final grade so if u get a D in the exam and got an A in your course work ulld get a HIgh C+ or A Low B-
R.E is a push over u can pass wid ur eyes closed
i do Media , bussiness , geography , hisotry , duble science i wish i never picked duble science

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!