PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Homework! +REP

Richie
01-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Hey guys,
Could someone please help me i have a debate tomorrow about the death penalty

I have to do an arguement Against the death penalty soo if you guys could please post little bullet points they need too be short.

Also i have tried google but i couldnt find much helpfull information.

+Rep too people that help

Thanks,
Richie.

Nixt
01-02-2009, 05:20 PM
A key argument is miscarriages of justice. What if the person condemned to death is actually innocent?

kk.
01-02-2009, 05:28 PM
i dont believe you have googled it. Its one of the most discussed topics EVER... first search returned:

There are a number of incontrovertible arguments against the death penalty.

The most important one is the virtual certainty that genuinely innocent people will be executed and that there is no possible way of compensating them for this miscarriage of justice. There is also another significant but much less realised danger here. The person convicted of the murder may have actually killed the victim and may even admit having done so but does not agree that the killing was murder. Often the only people who know what really happened are the accused and the deceased. It then comes down to the skill of the prosecution and defence lawyers as to whether there will be a conviction for murder or for manslaughter. It is thus highly probable that people are convicted of murder when they should really have only been convicted of manslaughter. Have a look at the cases of James McNicol and Edith Thompson and see what you think.

A second reason, that is often overlooked, is the hell the innocent family and friends of criminals must also go through in the time leading up to and during the execution and which will often cause them serious trauma for years afterwards. It is often very difficult for people to come to terms with the fact that their loved one could be guilty of a serious crime and no doubt even more difficult to come to terms with their death in this form. However strongly you may support capital punishment, two wrongs do not make one right. One cannot and should not deny the suffering of the victim's family in a murder case but the suffering of the murderer's family is surely valid too.

There must always be the concern that the state can administer the death penalty justly, most countries have a very poor record on this. In America, a prisoner can be on death row for many years (on average 11 years {2004 figure}) awaiting the outcome of numerous appeals and their chances of escaping execution are better if they are wealthy and/or white rather than poor and/or black irrespective of the actual crimes they have committed which may have been largely forgotten by the time the final decision is taken. Although racism is claimed in the administration of the death penalty in America, statistics show that white prisoners are more liable to be sentenced to death on conviction for first degree murder and are also less likely to have their sentences commuted than black defendants.

It must be remembered that criminals are real people too who have life and with it the capacity to feel pain, fear and the loss of their loved ones, and all the other emotions that the rest of us are capable of feeling. It is easier to put this thought on one side when discussing the most awful multiple murderers but less so when discussing, say, an 18 year old girl convicted of drug trafficking. (Singapore hanged two girls for this crime in 1995 who were both only 18 at the time of their offences and China shot an 18 year old girl for the same offence in 1998.)

There is no such thing as a humane method of putting a person to death irrespective of what the State may claim (see later). Every form of execution causes the prisoner suffering, some methods perhaps cause less than others, but be in no doubt that being executed is a terrifying and gruesome ordeal for the criminal. What is also often overlooked is the extreme mental torture that the criminal suffers in the time leading up to the execution. How would you feel knowing that you were going to die tomorrow morning at 8.00 a.m.?

There may be a brutalising effect upon society by carrying out executions - this was apparent in this country during the 17th and 18th centuries when people turned out to enjoy the spectacle of public hanging. They still do today in those countries where executions are carried out in public. It is hard to prove this one way or the other - people stop and look at car crashes but it doesn't make them go and have an accident to see what it is like. It would seem that there is a natural voyeurism in most people.

The death penalty is the bluntest of "blunt instruments," it removes the individual's humanity and with it any chance of rehabilitation and their giving something back to society. In the case of the worst criminals, this may be acceptable but is more questionable in the case of less awful crimes.

and obviously, innocent may be tried and killed and can never be brought back even if they are proven to be innocent

Richie
01-02-2009, 05:36 PM
i dont believe you have googled it. Its one of the most discussed topics EVER... first search returned:

and obviously, innocent may be tried and killed and can never be brought back even if they are proven to be innocent

Thats tops thanks helped loads!!! woop my debate is complete :)

Soy
01-02-2009, 06:28 PM
You can say it's barbaric and that we shouldn't play the role of god. Or for you can say that it's cheaper to kill them because it costs the government £30,000 per year per criminal.

Lee.Norman
01-02-2009, 11:30 PM
- Theres no real suffering involved. Its quick and easy, and they don't really pay for their crimes.
- As said before, what if they are innocent.
- How do you decide what crimes are punished by death, and which arent?
- It causes unnecesarry grief and pain for the family of the prosecuted.
- Does it really bring closure to the victims and their family?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!