PDA

View Full Version : University Decisions

Pyroka
04-02-2009, 10:01 AM
CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP

I have the decision of going to either Sheffield Hallam University or (when I get an offer) Napier University, Edinburgh. I live in Devon so you can guess which one is the furthest, however I have friends nearby in both towns so it's not like I'll be alone.

Edinburgh costs:

£8000 Tuiton Fees (Including Placement Year, 4.2 years)
First Year Accom: £3608 (44 weeks)

Sheffield costs:

£13,530 (Including Placement Year)
First Year Accom: £3709 (44 weeks, including Utility Charge for Leadmill Point)

There's a dramatic jump in price for Sheffield, however it's in England and I wouldn't be getting half-price Uni expensives like I would in Scotland. I aint been Edinburgh yet, however Sheffield I have and it was pretty nice... Seeing the pictures of Napier though, it looks pretty amazing (plus it was voted most modern Uni in Scotland >_>)

It's a real hard decision, cuz yeah I'm doing a placement too and you gotta think which place will have more business options (I'd guess Edinburgh really, although Sheffield is pretty close to Manchester... but then Edinburgh's close to Glasgow ¬_¬)

How can I even make this decision? LOL.

Nixt
04-02-2009, 10:08 AM
What degree are you going for? For example I am intending to go for a degree in law and therefore it would be advantageous for me to go to a "Red Brick" university as I will then find it easier to get a footing in the profession. This is the same for a lot of degrees, so if your degree is quite academic and competitive, you would be better off going for the long-standing and high-established university.

Pyroka
04-02-2009, 10:17 AM
I'm going for "BEng (Hons) Computer Networks Systems & Security + Distributed Systems". Basically it's very industrial & workplace-based and I'd be doing alot of work in retail (which is pretty fun). It's not anything really academic, it's just Computing... I don't think that'd be that important.

JackBuddy
04-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Sheffield.

Pyroka
04-02-2009, 03:00 PM
GIVE ME A REASON JACK DONT MAKE THIS HARD FOR ME. :@

Immenseman
04-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Edinburgh, Scottish girls are easier! Nah, I don't know why - you want to go North so go all the bloody way! :D

Pyroka
04-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Edinburgh, Scottish girls are easier! Nah, I don't know why - you want to go North so go all the bloody way! :D

I cant believe you said that, because I've always thought that about northern girls as a whole LOL. They're a right laugh, no strings attached and that xD

Nixt
04-02-2009, 03:39 PM
If the one in Scotland was described as really modern I would advise going there, as your degree is very modern itself. That might well be a stupid reason but you do have to decide so there you go!

Pyroka
04-02-2009, 03:44 PM
If the one in Scotland was described as really modern I would advise going there, as your degree is very modern itself. That might well be a stupid reason but you do have to decide so there you go!

Yeah there's a 24-hour computer suite there, which really, really, REALLY turns me on... No computer pun intended. I'm waiting on an email from Edinburgh about transport assistance or accomodation assistance. I'd prefer it if they could shack me up in one of their rooms for the night, I'd be so happy with that. Better than what Sheffield Hallam could do... which was nothing (well I think nothing, they never got back to me >_>)

Edinburgh is apparently a cross between Bristol and London though, SO I'VE HEARD. Sorta... sounds nice.

Virgin Mary
04-02-2009, 05:10 PM
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/single.htm?ipg=6643
It doesn't have that specific degree but for computer science - which I assume is the closest - Napier is higher than Sheffield Hallam.

Immenseman
04-02-2009, 05:12 PM
Edinburgh for the win then, do it. Be hard to get back to see family for Christmas etc though

Pyroka
04-02-2009, 06:28 PM
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/single.htm?ipg=6643
It doesn't have that specific degree but for computer science - which I assume is the closest - Napier is higher than Sheffield Hallam.

Yeah I was looking at The Times league tables, and Napier is only just higher than Sheffield Hallam. The course looks pretty decent tbh, it's longer than the other one in Sheffield but it seems more interesting. Torn :( </3

Edinburgh for the win then, do it. Be hard to get back to see family for Christmas etc though

It's really not, Edinburgh is about 40 quid return on the plane. My parents concerns are that they wouldn't be able to give me their furniture or anything, because it's just way too far away. Unless I hired a van.

Immenseman
04-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Yeah, you might miss them!! :(

Pyroka
04-02-2009, 06:31 PM
Yeah, you might miss them!! :(

When they're only an hour away on the plane, I really doubt it. Plus I'll be too buried in work to even think about it. I have this immunity to home sickness, I love to travel lol.

Kardan
Speaking of Universities, my sixth form leader told me I should be looking into Oxford or Cambridge.

Immenseman
Go you Aiden, clever boy!

Kardan
04-02-2009, 06:33 PM
I won't get in, and even if I did it'd cost a fortune. She said that all of my grades at A/A* were good, but then complained about the B I got in French in Year 9. I shouldn't be worried about uni yet, I'm still waiting to see if I've got into my sixth form :$

Immenseman
04-02-2009, 06:34 PM
I'm sure you will if you've tried your hardest.

Pyroka
04-02-2009, 06:34 PM
Speaking of Universities, my sixth form leader told me I should be looking into Oxford or Cambridge.

Don't be silly everyone knows ginger people aren't allowed into Oxford or Cambridge.

I won't get in, and even if I did it'd cost a fortune. She said that all of my grades at A/A* were good, but then complained about the B I got in French in Year 9. I shouldn't be worried about uni yet, I'm still waiting to see if I've got into my sixth form :$

Bugger, a B in French in Year 9 LOL. Depends what you do in University, cuz if you did a language then yes that'd knock you slightly.

JackBuddy
04-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Sheffield, just do it.

Pyroka
04-02-2009, 07:53 PM
Sheffield, just do it.

JACK WHY.

JackBuddy
04-02-2009, 07:58 PM
JACK WHY.
because it's not in Scotland. When I was semi-hungover last sunday I was watching some programme in bed and they were saying how English students were targeted and experienced racism!

I just couldn't let that happen to you Ryan. :(

Kardan
04-02-2009, 08:08 PM
Don't be silly everyone knows ginger people aren't allowed into Oxford or Cambridge.

Bugger, a B in French in Year 9 LOL. Depends what you do in University, cuz if you did a language then yes that'd knock you slightly.

Gah, I'm not doing French at Uni, that's just... deadly.

I'm doing my AS French and Maths this year, then next year I'm doing A2 Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics. Then doing A2 in all of them, and since I already have my Maths A-Level by year 12, I could do another AS Level to give me 7 AS' and 5 A2's.

JackBuddy
04-02-2009, 08:13 PM

I'm doing my AS French and Maths this year, then next year I'm doing A2 Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics. Then doing A2 in all of them, and since I already have my Maths A-Level by year 12, I could do another AS Level to give me 7 AS' and 5 A2's.
A levels are harder than you think, lol.

Ramones
04-02-2009, 08:14 PM

Alot of my friends are going to oxford, they don't even care that much about GCSE results and even As's that much. get 4 or 5 A's at A2 and a good interview and your sorted ;)

Anyway yeah iv'e never even been into Scotland but Sheffield is a mint city.

Kardan
04-02-2009, 08:14 PM
A levels are harder than you think, lol.

They are indeed, my teacher suggested taking a 7th AS level at Year 13, but I think the A2 work will be enough. And if I have enough of a subject after Y12, I can always drop it and do just 3 subjects in Y13.

04-02-2009, 08:51 PM
make a poll :D

kk.
04-02-2009, 09:03 PM

youre AS's dont count if you have an A2 so it would be 2 AS's and 5 A2's

im in a real situation, you have it easy ryan :(

Ostinato
04-02-2009, 11:50 PM
Edinburgh.

It is such a cultural city it really is, and it is honestly full of so many nice folks. One thing you hear quite often about Scotland is how friendly and helpful the people are (obviously you get some idiots but where don't you?)

It has a brilliant culture overall and honestly you can find someone from just about every background so the whole racism thing is a load of crap.

It has an amazing nightlife also with anything to suit your tastes tbh, and napier is quite a good uni overall. (Not as good as strathclyde ;) haha)

DEFOS Edinburgh

Virgin Mary
04-02-2009, 11:55 PM
One thing you hear quite often about Scotland is how friendly and helpful the people are (obviously you get some idiots but where don't you?)
I've never heard that. I always hear about how if you're english you'll get stabbed or given a glasgow smile lol.

Pyroka
04-02-2009, 11:56 PM
Edinburgh.

It is such a cultural city it really is, and it is honestly full of so many nice folks. One thing you hear quite often about Scotland is how friendly and helpful the people are (obviously you get some idiots but where don't you?)

It has a brilliant culture overall and honestly you can find someone from just about every background so the whole racism thing is a load of crap.

It has an amazing nightlife also with anything to suit your tastes tbh, and napier is quite a good uni overall. (Not as good as strathclyde ;) haha)

DEFOS Edinburgh

You don't get idiots in Antartica... :<

I just compared both courses (SHU and Napier), and tbh SHU does sound more appealing but I know what it's like at SHU already so it's pretty unfair for me to judge on just how they've worded it. I wanna go uppppppp. Thanks Ost, +rep <333

Mary, I went to Glasgow and I didn't get stabbed... It's the outer areas which you watch out for. Walked around Motherwell at 2AM drunk, and safe to say I'm still alive, though apparently I shouldnt be lol. +rep to you too for helping :D

GommeInc
05-02-2009, 12:05 AM
Go to Kent University in Canterbury :D Then I can say 'HI' 'cos mentor goes there and I'm down there monthly :D They have computing courses, that's good enough!

Pyroka
05-02-2009, 12:08 AM
Go to Kent University in Canterbury :D Then I can say 'HI' 'cos mentor goes there and I'm down there monthly :D They have computing courses, that's good enough!

I've already sent my application you silly man! :@!

GommeInc
05-02-2009, 12:22 AM
So no same name love making then? :( I suppose you could find another Ryan in Scotland, with all there gingerness and haggis :(

Is there actually a computing course called that? It seems quite specific to usual degrees...

Pyroka
05-02-2009, 12:24 AM
So no same name love making then? :( I suppose you could find another Ryan in Scotland, with all there gingerness and haggis :(

Is there actually a computing course called that? It seems quite specific to usual degrees...

I had haggis, it was actually pretty lush... Weird. No same name love making, you know what happens when that happens. :@

Whatcha mean, is there an actual course named after what I put? Cuz yes, yes there is if you're asking lol.

kk.
05-02-2009, 10:43 AM
lol.

do a pros and cons list and if you find yourself favouring one more than the other then obviously you like that one better. Where else did you apply to btw

Barmi
05-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Yes, go for it Aid! (The second one, anyway.)

Lies! It's not significantly more expensive than anywhere else. The only thing you'll need extra money for are, well... the 'extras', like balls (where tickets will be between £70-£170, and you'll need a dinner suit). If you don't apply, then you are the only one making the 'I won't get in' idea to be true!

Alot of my friends are going to oxford, they don't even care that much about GCSE results and even As's that much. get 4 or 5 A's at A2 and a good interview and your sorted ;)
3 A grades at A2 and a good interview, then you're sorted. Anything else is overkill, unless you really want to. Offers are usually made on 3 specified A grades alone.

GCSE grades are important, because by the time you have your interview, you have GCSE grades and AS grades; you haven't completed your A2 yet. GCSE grades are not make-or-break overwhelmingly important, but they make the university want to give you an interview (along with your personal statement, which I will come to now).

They are indeed, my teacher suggested taking a 7th AS level at Year 13, but I think the A2 work will be enough. And if I have enough of a subject after Y12, I can always drop it and do just 3 subjects in Y13.
Be very careful. While it is important you are academically bright on paper, you need to keep two things in check:
1) That you are not spreading yourself too thin -- you want to best grades you can get from the subjects you are going to do. I don't know if A* are introduced for your courses yet, but gunning for 3 of those would be much better than gunning for 6 As at A-level.
2) That you leave time for other things. You need to show in your personal statement that you are a well-rounded, balanced individual. Leave plenty of time for less academic activities. You need to stand out, and the benefit I never had was the ability to start thinking about it now, where you are. People will want you in plenty of societies and activities... like each college's boat club. Fun times.

Edinburgh.

DEFOS Edinburgh
Ryan, I've got to agree with Ostinato! Go for Edinburgh for teh winzz! :D

& oooh ooh Ryan... near Torbaydos?

Calgon
05-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Scottish girls aren't, it's northen girls.

I cant believe you said that, because I've always thought that about northern girls as a whole LOL. They're a right laugh, no strings attached and that xD
You're right.

:D

Pyroka
05-02-2009, 01:55 PM
Yes, go for it Aid! (The second one, anyway.)

Lies! It's not significantly more expensive than anywhere else. The only thing you'll need extra money for are, well... the 'extras', like balls (where tickets will be between £70-£170, and you'll need a dinner suit). If you don't apply, then you are the only one making the 'I won't get in' idea to be true!

3 A grades at A2 and a good interview, then you're sorted. Anything else is overkill, unless you really want to. Offers are usually made on 3 specified A grades alone.

GCSE grades are important, because by the time you have your interview, you have GCSE grades and AS grades; you haven't completed your A2 yet. GCSE grades are not make-or-break overwhelmingly important, but they make the university want to give you an interview (along with your personal statement, which I will come to now).

Be very careful. While it is important you are academically bright on paper, you need to keep two things in check:
1) That you are not spreading yourself too thin -- you want to best grades you can get from the subjects you are going to do. I don't know if A* are introduced for your courses yet, but gunning for 3 of those would be much better than gunning for 6 As at A-level.
2) That you leave time for other things. You need to show in your personal statement that you are a well-rounded, balanced individual. Leave plenty of time for less academic activities. You need to stand out, and the benefit I never had was the ability to start thinking about it now, where you are. People will want you in plenty of societies and activities... like each college's boat club. Fun times.

Ryan, I've got to agree with Ostinato! Go for Edinburgh for teh winzz! :D

& oooh ooh Ryan... near Torbaydos?

Torbaydos? I can only assume you mean Torbay in Devon LOL. Yeah I live in Teignbridge. :P

kk, I applied for Derby, Salford, Stafford (Withdrawn), Sheffield Hallam and Napier. I can't do a pro/con list until I've been to Napier, but I don't want to go to Derby or Salford I was just curious as to what they'd actually give me lol.

I just got off the phone with a bloke from Napier Uni, I swear he was camp but anyway, he told me my app has gone through but theres a massive delay in apps because this weekend new students are starting (Feb 2009 starters). Said theres no real issue with it, so most likely they'll give me an offer but they said I'll get a call from a Recruitment officer later today, so I can ask him loads of questions about Open days, the prices and stuff like that.

The guys on email I was talking to, bloody hell what a joke, he C+P'd something from the website I already knew, asked me when I want to join Napier (Feb/Sept) & then told me that he couldnt offer me travel assistance advice... I haven't heard from him since xD

JackBuddy
05-02-2009, 02:20 PM
Torbaydos? I can only assume you mean Torbay in Devon LOL. Yeah I live in Teignbridge. :P

kk, I applied for Derby, Salford, Stafford (Withdrawn), Sheffield Hallam and Napier. I can't do a pro/con list until I've been to Napier, but I don't want to go to Derby or Salford I was just curious as to what they'd actually give me lol.

I just got off the phone with a bloke from Napier Uni, I swear he was camp but anyway, he told me my app has gone through but theres a massive delay in apps because this weekend new students are starting (Feb 2009 starters). Said theres no real issue with it, so most likely they'll give me an offer but they said I'll get a call from a Recruitment officer later today, so I can ask him loads of questions about Open days, the prices and stuff like that.

The guys on email I was talking to, bloody hell what a joke, he C+P'd something from the website I already knew, asked me when I want to join Napier (Feb/Sept) & then told me that he couldnt offer me travel assistance advice... I haven't heard from him since xD
I've been to Croyde Bay in Devon!? :S:S:S

Ah, I have applied to dumb unis in comparison to everyone else!

Pyroka
05-02-2009, 02:21 PM
I've been to Croyde Bay in Devon!? :S:S:S

Ah, I have applied to dumb unis in comparison to everyone else!

I swear Croyde Bay isn't even close to me LOL.

What uni's you applied to?

EDIT: Yeah Croyde Bay is on the north coast, complete opposite to where I am. :P

JackBuddy
05-02-2009, 02:25 PM
I swear Croyde Bay isn't even close to me LOL.

What uni's you applied to?

EDIT: Yeah Croyde Bay is on the north coast, complete opposite to where I am. :P
Worcester (accepted but don't wanna go)
Northampton (accepted but don't wanna go)
Southampton Solent (accepted and undecided)
Bournemouth (REJECTED!!!! 600 applicants for the course WTH!?!)
London College of communications (Meh, might go)

Didn't wanna move up north and they were the only unis that did advertising courses. Although, SS' course looks the best. It's annoying because it has only officially been a uni for 3 years it has crap write ups in the times and whatnot but on my visit there and reading student reviews that state the complete opposite.

Pyroka
05-02-2009, 02:26 PM
Worcester (accepted but don't wanna go)
Northampton (accepted but don't wanna go)
Southampton Solent (accepted and undecided)
Bournemouth (REJECTED!!!! 600 applicants for the course WTH!?!)
London College of communications (Meh, might go)

Didn't wanna move up north and they were the only unis that did advertising courses. Although, SS' course looks the best. It's annoying because it has only officially been a uni for 3 years it has crap write ups in the times and whatnot but on my visit there and reading student reviews that state the complete opposite.

Solent is an amazing Uni, I know someone who goes there and he does a Film studies course. Because he's doing so well, he's been headhunted by the BBC and is going to work for them in the editing suites next year (part-time until he comes out of Uni). Seriously, its an awesome Uni and Southampton is VERY nice.

kk.
05-02-2009, 04:34 PM
ill tell you my problem to put it into context...

applied for 5 unis, accepted into all bar one. and it just so happens the one that rejected me is the only one i want to go to now. IO dont want to take a gap year because of certain reasons and i dont want to go to university anywhere other than that uni. ive emailed em but they havnt replied, told em why my grades were like that and the predicted grades (not in personal statement :(). So really, after a levels, if they do end up saying no i cant go to there then im pretty much ****** lol

JackBuddy
05-02-2009, 04:37 PM

applied for 5 unis, accepted into all bar one. and it just so happens the one that rejected me is the only one i want to go to now. IO dont want to take a gap year because of certain reasons and i dont want to go to university anywhere other than that uni. ive emailed em but they havnt replied, told em why my grades were like that and the predicted grades (not in personal statement :(). So really, after a levels, if they do end up saying no i cant go to there then im pretty much ****** lol
clearing :D

Pyroka
05-02-2009, 04:37 PM

Aww unlucky mate. I know some Universities do change their mind but it does take alot to make them change their minds. What Uni do you want to go to really bad?

kk.
05-02-2009, 04:43 PM
clearing :D
i spoke to my head of year and he said i can go through extra or clearing if its the only place i want to be it wont have a high success rate :( plus its accounting and finance which is already very competitive

Aww unlucky mate. I know some Universities do change their mind but it does take alot to make them change their minds. What Uni do you want to go to really bad?
i know, ive been reading on TSR that some people have ahd their decisions turned around but its whether they want to. I emailed and said stuff like 'i know i underachieved at my AS which then affected my predictions but ive retaken 5 in jan and plan to retake more.' then said why i wanna go there lol.

Warwick, AABb :(

Immenseman
05-02-2009, 04:44 PM
my sister goes there!! i've been there to visit her :8

Pyroka
05-02-2009, 04:44 PM
i spoke to my head of year and he said i can go through extra or clearing if its the only place i want to be it wont have a high success rate :( plus its accounting and finance which is already very competitive

i know, ive been reading on TSR that some people have ahd their decisions turned around but its whether they want to. I emailed and said stuff like 'i know i underachieved at my AS which then affected my predictions but ive retaken 5 in jan and plan to retake more.' then said why i wanna go there lol.

Warwick, AABb :(

EEK, Warwick is a highly established University so you really would have to grovel. I'd be surprised if they didn't reconsider, because you've said no to four unis but you're fully dedicated to go there, so it's not like you won't put in 100% effort.

Good luck to yee tbh, you're gonna need it. :P

kk.
05-02-2009, 04:47 PM
ahaha i know i know :'( i dont know what draws me there :S just since i went to a HE fair last year ive wanted to go and there campus is amazing!! i have until may 4th to make them change there minds though lmao. and actually, ive said no to more than 100 :P:P including cambridge!! not saying i got in or applied, id just prefer to go warwick then oxbridge :P

Pyroka
05-02-2009, 04:48 PM
ahaha i know i know :'( i dont know what draws me there :S just since i went to a HE fair last year ive wanted to go and there campus is amazing!! i have until may 4th to make them change there minds though lmao. and actually, ive said no to more than 100 :P:P including cambridge!! not saying i got in or applied, id just prefer to go warwick then oxbridge :P

I wouldnt tell them that if you didnt apply at oxbridge, but if you did and declined then they'd be like wow he rly wants to come LOL. What were the other Unis you wanted to go to? They can't be bad.

kk.
05-02-2009, 05:34 PM
nah, loughborough 4 financial maths, birmingham 4 a&f, nottingham trent 4 a&f and nottingham for another course but they said no but offered me computer science instead :P

lol, no i know, i was jsut saying like, its how much i want to go there :(

kk.
05-02-2009, 05:34 PM
lag posted delete or merge :)

Pyroka
05-02-2009, 05:51 PM
nah, loughborough 4 financial maths, birmingham 4 a&f, nottingham trent 4 a&f and nottingham for another course but they said no but offered me computer science instead :P

lol, no i know, i was jsut saying like, its how much i want to go there :(

beg them, beg themmmmmmmm. Loughborough aint that bad apparently, but the rest are.. lolol. Birmingham I havent heard about, but its a pretty nice place.

kk.
05-02-2009, 06:05 PM
the rest are!?!?!? are you kidding? (part from NTU) probably not the best for a&f but birmingham and nottingham!! theyre both really high up the league table lolol.

loughborough only cus its my home town :D

Pyroka
05-02-2009, 06:10 PM
OH I didnt know Nottingham was ;P I know NTU is though... Lalalallaa.

kk.
05-02-2009, 06:12 PM
i only applied there so i had at least 1 offer :D :P

Pyroka
05-02-2009, 06:13 PM
LMAO Oh thats good thinking that is. :P I really want to go University like, tommorow lol.

kk.
05-02-2009, 06:20 PM
lmao, i know i do too :'(
damn warwick!! give me an email.

have you decided yet? I wouldnt decide until you visit the one in scotland, it might just hit you like, 'this is where i wanna go'

Pyroka
05-02-2009, 06:23 PM
Yeah I haven't decided yet, I'm due to get a call from someone as I said but Ill probs go up March/April time to check it out before I make any big decisions. :)

kk.
05-02-2009, 06:29 PM
ah right cool. What are the requirements? to both? Im not sure if it works like this but if you put one as your firm sooner rather than later, then youll get your accomodation sorted faster and youll be less likely to get rejected from the first place you apply at

Pyroka
05-02-2009, 06:30 PM
The requiremnets to both are very similar, but I've sent my application for accomodation to Sheffield Hallam already, cuz they send it out ASAP. For Edinburgh, you have to conditional firm to get your accom forms. :P

Edinburgh said I'm guaranteed accomodation because of my distance, same with Sheffield.

kk.
05-02-2009, 06:35 PM
ah right ok, seems strange?! even if you put SHU as ur insurance do they guarantee you accommodation if go? if that makes sense

Pyroka
05-02-2009, 06:53 PM
I think so, I'm not sure... This is what my issue is, cuz if I put Edinburgh as my firm then I'll get accom there but does it mean I HAVE to go Edinburgh? :P

kk.
05-02-2009, 07:04 PM
Im not too sure about that but i do believe so. I think it may be binding unless you change your mind about university altogether. Best bet is to ask your head of year if you can say youve changed your mind and wanna go to your insurance offer, or look on UCAS at the steps thing.

Pyroka
05-02-2009, 07:35 PM
My head of year I dont talk to lol, I think the assistant is ok cuz shes irish but we dont even talk much either. My old assistant head was like the chattiest guy on earth, you'd have to tell him to sod off.

We'll find out eventually ayeeee ;D

Soka
05-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Make sure your 100% sure on what university you want to go to before you make your choices for firm and insurance... perhaps read through this page:

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/afteryouapply/replyingtoyouroffers

as its got some useful points on it. From what i gather on the page, you have to go to your Firm University if you meet the conditions of the offer. If you don't meet the offer but meet the insurance's... you have to go there. So if you only really want to go to one university... such as KK. then just make a firm and don't bother putting an insurance. I've made oxford my firm (AAA) and wawrick my insurance (AABa and 2 in step I or II) which is one grade less just incase i mess up physics (likely :P). The Wawrick offer could technically be seen as harder because of the difficulty of the step papers though.

Choose Sheffield Hallam anyways, i've visited several times to the University of Sheffield (the other uni in Sheffield) and it seems a really nice city, that is very modernised which you seem to like. :P Have you visited edinburugh yet? It will be a long journey. Decisions down to you at the end of the day. Good luck with wherever you go :)

I couldn't wait to leave school for college.. now I can't wait to leave college for university too.. it only seems like yesterday since i left school though haha.

Barmi
06-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Ryan, go Scottish. If you get used to that odd accent, you'll be flying in no time. GET A KILT!!

Make sure your 100% sure on what university you want to go to before you make your choices for firm and insurance... perhaps read through this page:

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/afteryouapply/replyingtoyouroffers

as its got some useful points on it. From what i gather on the page, you have to go to your Firm University if you meet the conditions of the offer. If you don't meet the offer but meet the insurance's... you have to go there. So if you only really want to go to one university... such as KK. then just make a firm and don't bother putting an insurance. I've made oxford my firm (AAA) and wawrick my insurance (AABa and 2 in step I or II) which is one grade less just incase i mess up physics (likely :P). The Wawrick offer could technically be seen as harder because of the difficulty of the step papers though.

Choose Sheffield Hallam anyways, i've visited several times to the University of Sheffield (the other uni in Sheffield) and it seems a really nice city, that is very modernised which you seem to like. :P Have you visited edinburugh yet? It will be a long journey. Decisions down to you at the end of the day. Good luck with wherever you go :)

I couldn't wait to leave school for college.. now I can't wait to leave college for university too.. it only seems like yesterday since i left school though haha.
You don't require STEP for your Oxford offer? Wow, that's lucky! Most mathmos I know (at the other place) were required to take STEP to achieve a particular grade, though some didn't lose their offer on the basis of messing up STEP. Which college are you after, if you don't mind me asking?

Pyroka
06-02-2009, 04:58 PM
I'm already used to the accent, I'm pretty acustomed to it already lol. I almost ignore it actually. :P

This Napier guy never called me... I think I'm going to give them a bell now actually, brb.

Soka
06-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Ryan, go Scottish. If you get used to that odd accent, you'll be flying in no time. GET A KILT!!

You don't require STEP for your Oxford offer? Wow, that's lucky! Most mathmos I know (at the other place) were required to take STEP to achieve a particular grade, though some didn't lose their offer on the basis of messing up STEP. Which college are you after, if you don't mind me asking?

I've pmed you :). Theres not a direct link now.. so just use:
http://www.habboxforum.com/private.php

partie2
06-02-2009, 06:44 PM
check out the yougofurther forum as there is loads of useful information on unis on that.

Pyroka
08-02-2009, 12:31 AM
UPDATE: Tim from Napier University called up today whilst I wasn't in (god I feel bad), so I called him up when I got home (8PM). He's given me a MMP offer, and is highly confident I will do more than that, which is why along with that MMP offer he's also offering to let me skip the first year of University and move straight into the 2nd year, meaning I start my sandwich year a year after. I'm somewhat nervy on that, but he did say that I could change my mind from day 1 if I found the step ahead too demanding.

Imagine the money I'd be saving though, for a whole year :love7: Also said Napier don't do accomodation assistance for peeps, but they'll gimme a few cheap as chips b&**. Also said I'm probably going to be the only southern England person there.. LOL. Oh I need to go up there now so badly. :'(

JackBuddy
08-02-2009, 12:35 AM
fate is telling you not to go there

Pyroka
08-02-2009, 12:42 AM
You just want to be close to me Jack :love3:

JackBuddy
08-02-2009, 12:43 AM
Yeah 'cos Southampton is sooo close to Sheffield!

Barmi
08-02-2009, 12:50 AM
UPDATE: Tim from Napier University called up today whilst I wasn't in (god I feel bad), so I called him up when I got home (8PM). He's given me a MMP offer, and is highly confident I will do more than that, which is why along with that MMP offer he's also offering to let me skip the first year of University and move straight into the 2nd year, meaning I start my sandwich year a year after. I'm somewhat nervy on that, but he did say that I could change my mind from day 1 if I found the step ahead too demanding.

Imagine the money I'd be saving though, for a whole year :love7: Also said Napier don't do accomodation assistance for peeps, but they'll gimme a few cheap as chips b&**. Also said I'm probably going to be the only southern England person there.. LOL. Oh I need to go up there now so badly. :'(
Go for it! The first year of most Scottish university courses are pretty much to compensate for the difference between the English and Scottish secondary education systems (i.e. their highers are inferior (joking, Scottish people don't hurt me!))... so many offer English students the opportunity of skipping the first year. Go for it: don't waste your time on stuff you don't need to! :D

Pyroka
08-02-2009, 12:58 AM
Go for it! The first year of most Scottish university courses are pretty much to compensate for the difference between the English and Scottish secondary education systems (i.e. their highers are inferior (joking, Scottish people don't hurt me!))... so many offer English students the opportunity of skipping the first year. Go for it: don't waste your time on stuff you don't need to! :D

Thing is though, I'd have to catch up on a ****load of Java which they would've been studying (even though I know a bit of Python and can code anyway, it'd just be nice to know Java) AS WELL AS A Cisco certification which runs throughout the first 2 years... Which is sort of my problem, otherwise I'd be totally fine with it and wouldn't have any problems with doing a fast track.

9y
08-02-2009, 01:00 AM
hallam is good, sheffers is a good night life too..

Barmi
08-02-2009, 01:10 AM
Thing is though, I'd have to catch up on a ****load of Java which they would've been studying (even though I know a bit of Python and can code anyway, it'd just be nice to know Java) AS WELL AS A Cisco certification which runs throughout the first 2 years... Which is sort of my problem, otherwise I'd be totally fine with it and wouldn't have any problems with doing a fast track.
Oh... in that case just go for the long haul and worry about debts after! :) I don't know how successful that approach is financially, but it's the one I'm taking.

Pyroka
08-02-2009, 01:17 AM
Oh... in that case just go for the long haul and worry about debts after! :) I don't know how successful that approach is financially, but it's the one I'm taking.

LOL Well it's about the only thing you can do really... It's bound to happen, financial disaster and that. I'll see what I'll actually need to do if I want to do the 2nd year. I'm off for the night <3

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!