PDA

View Full Version : Do you belive everything happens for a reason?

no waiii
15-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Do you?
I do because good and bad things have come out of good/bad situations that i have had in my life. Sometimes its take me a little longer to realise what they are in the bad ones.

I often think, if that didn't happen i wouldn't be alive/he wouldn't be my friend

So what do you think?

Discuss..

e5
15-02-2009, 11:20 AM
Occasionally this springs into my mind, and then it also makes sense so, I pretty much do, yeah.
& What you've said it pretty much exactly how I think :)

dogboy123
15-02-2009, 11:22 AM
I sometimes think this,

I think, if I didnt cross 2 seconds erlier I would have died, or If I didnt say that, then something completely differnt would have hapened.

:S

no waiii
15-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Occasionally this springs into my mind, and then it also makes sense so, I pretty much do, yeah.
& What you've said it pretty much exactly how I think :)

In the last few months its been in my mind like 24/7 and i cant stop thinking about it and i cant find the reason why it happened.

Sexy
15-02-2009, 11:23 AM
sorry for double post eeeeek :s

Sexy
15-02-2009, 11:24 AM
yeah i totally agree. i sometimes wonder if god has planned out our whole lives before we were even born, so it's like everything that happens to us is meant to happen. like god controls our every move just to make sure that everything goes to plan. sometimes i feel like if some things in my life didn't happen then i wouldn't be where i am today. it's kinda like doctor who where u shouldn't play around with the past lmao.

no waiii
15-02-2009, 11:26 AM
yeah i totally agree. i sometimes wonder if god has planned out our whole lives before we were even born, so it's like everything that happens to us is meant to happen. like god controls our every move just to make sure that everything goes to plan. sometimes i feel like if some things in my life didn't happen then i wouldn't be where i am today. it's kinda like doctor who where u shouldn't play around with the past lmao.

Yeah same its like, why did that have to happen, what made god do that... and i dont watch doctor who so i dont know about that part :lol:

Sexy
15-02-2009, 11:31 AM
Yeah same its like, why did that have to happen, what made god do that... and i dont watch doctor who so i dont know about that part :lol:

lmao im glad u knew what i was on about anyhow :)

i shut my finger in a car door when i was smaller and it broke. if i hadn't have done that i would probably be able to lift heavier objects with my left hand. so yh things do change dramatically over something so small.

e5
15-02-2009, 11:33 AM
If I didn't join HxF/Habbo, I wouldn't be as nearly as literat as I am today and I would no where near be the same person I am today. What if my neighbour didn't introduce Habbo too me? Would I have been outside at the time I could have been on Habbo or something and gotten run over????

Ya never no.. lol that sort of thing is what goes through my mind, aswell as that sort of thing but different too.

Immenseman
15-02-2009, 11:34 AM
Yeah, I definitely do. Even the smallest things happen for a reason, I've always thought this so yeah. I don't think anything has been planned before we were born like someone above. I just think like if I hadn't got up at the time I did and had a shower my day would have been completely different. Just an example lol. Can't really explain what I mean but yeah.

no waiii
15-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Yeah, I definitely do. Even the smallest things happen for a reason, I've always thought this so yeah. I don't think anything has been planned before we were born like someone above. I just think like if I hadn't got up at the time I did and had a shower my day would have been completely different. Just an example lol. Can't really explain what I mean but yeah.

i understand what your saying :lol:

RedStratocas
15-02-2009, 02:27 PM
no. i spilt a glass of milk yesterday, and i cleaned it up. i dont think that happened for any reason in particular. i also forgot a book for my class last week and had to go back and get it and ended up being late. idk, doesnt seem like thats had any effect whatsoever on anything. plus, that'd mean i have no control over my life. and no matter how hard i try or how lazy i am, i'll end up in the same spot. which i think is totally ridiculous but you guys can believe what you want lololol.

Virgin Mary
15-02-2009, 04:23 PM
If there's no reason behind something then it wouldn't happen. It's a stupid question and a cliche saying used by fat girls in glittery writing. The reason for them being fat is because they ate.

Immenseman
15-02-2009, 04:26 PM
no. i spilt a glass of milk yesterday, and i cleaned it up. i dont think that happened for any reason in particular. i also forgot a book for my class last week and had to go back and get it and ended up being late. idk, doesnt seem like thats had any effect whatsoever on anything. plus, that'd mean i have no control over my life. and no matter how hard i try or how lazy i am, i'll end up in the same spot. which i think is totally ridiculous but you guys can believe what you want lololol.
you spilt the glass of milk because you're clumsy you forget the book because you're forgetful, would you look at that you have a reason.

i understand what your saying :lol:
together forever

I don't believe it's "God" or anything. It's just common sense like V-M said everything has to happen for a reason because things don't happen unless there is a reason behind it.

Charlie
15-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Yes, everything happens for a reason otherwise if it had no reason, it won't happened. If you can't find a reason for something that happened, then think hard and look closer at the situation and you'll find one. Whether a good thing happens or a bad thing happens, it was because there was a reason for it to happen. If a relationship ends, it has a reason which could be that you aren't meant to be. If someone passes away, it has a reason which could be that it was their time to go.

I don't think that there is God who makes these things happened or gives these things reasons, the reason comes from the person who does it/it happens to.

Immenseman
15-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Yes, everything happens for a reason otherwise if it had no reason, it won't happened. If you can't find a reason for something that happened, then think hard and look closer at the situation and you'll find one. Whether a good thing happens or a bad thing happens, it was because there was a reason for it to happen. If a relationship ends, it has a reason which could be that you aren't meant to be. If someone passes away, it has a reason which could be that it was their time to go.

I don't think that there is God who makes these things happened or gives these things reasons, the reason comes from the person who does it/it happens to.
Exactly what I'm trying to say, just produced in a more coherent form.

leah
15-02-2009, 08:00 PM
I think theres always a reason behind something happening.

Sexy
15-02-2009, 08:18 PM

but if you hadn't have split the glass of milk then you wouldn't have had to buy any more!!!

no waiii
16-02-2009, 12:44 AM
but if you hadn't have split the glass of milk then you wouldn't have had to buy any more!!!

or else it might have delayed him and could have saved his life :o

leah
16-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Obviously major things happen for a reason, tiny things that have no effect I don't think have a particular reason behind them.

RandomManJay
16-02-2009, 12:26 PM
I don't really believe that everything happens for a reason, I don't like the feeling that the future is already determined and that a particular event has been commited to allow the future to exist (I prefer the multiverse idea opposed to being able to change time), I like the idea of it though. Also, I've had so many things happen to me that hasn't affected the way I live my life and as far as I know, they haven't affected the way things are being done now either.

Virgin Mary
16-02-2009, 03:19 PM
I don't really believe that everything happens for a reason, I don't like the feeling that the future is already determined and that a particular event has been commited to allow the future to exist (I prefer the multiverse idea opposed to being able to change time), I like the idea of it though. Also, I've had so many things happen to me that hasn't affected the way I live my life and as far as I know, they haven't affected the way things are being done now either.
This is **** then, a better term would be everything is predetermined, everything happens for a reason merely implies that things happen because of a reason which is clearly a fact.

Immenseman
16-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Obviously major things happen for a reason, tiny things that have no effect I don't think have a particular reason behind them.
Everything must have a reason, give me an example I'll give a reason :~D

RandomManJay
16-02-2009, 04:04 PM
This is **** then, a better term would be everything is predetermined, everything happens for a reason merely implies that things happen because of a reason which is clearly a fact.

Cause and effect :P.

16-02-2009, 08:50 PM
Yeah I've always thought everything happens for a reason, thats why Im not really scared of death.

Virgin Mary
16-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Yeah I've always thought everything happens for a reason, thats why Im not really scared of death.
How does knowing that things happen because something sets them into motion make you feel better about death?

RandomManJay
16-02-2009, 10:02 PM
How does knowing that things happen because something sets them into motion make you feel better about death?

I'm guessing its so you know that you've died for a reason? XD!

Virgin Mary
16-02-2009, 10:45 PM
I'm guessing its so you know that you've died for a reason? XD!
But there's a difference between determinism, fatalism and causalty so I'm finding it confusing. What's the saying meant to mean?

luce
16-02-2009, 10:57 PM
I believe in god and that he as a plan for all of us, so yes i spose everything does happen for a reason.

brandon
16-02-2009, 11:03 PM
Yes. For example you spelt believe wrong, that happened because you didn't know how to spell it.

Sophiee
16-02-2009, 11:39 PM
Well no, there's no reason yet alone proof of things happening for a reason.

I do often think about what might have happened if I left for school 2 minutes earlier, or whatever though, but it's all coincidence.

Moh
16-02-2009, 11:43 PM
Yes, every thing happened because of the choice you made etc..

Say you miss the bus.
If you did get on that bus, you could get to the location sooner, have a conversation you wouldn't have had, you could do things you wouldn't have done.

So yes, every thing happens for every little move you make.

RedStratocas
17-02-2009, 12:02 AM

thats all true. i took this thread to be one about fate, which i think is ******ed. but yeah, obviously everything happens for a reason, but not because its part of a master plan.

Virgin Mary
17-02-2009, 12:05 AM
thats all true. i took this thread to be one about fate, which i think is ******ed. but yeah, obviously everything happens for a reason, but not because its part of a master plan.
That's what I agree with. The Christian God has no "plans", he gave us freewill which is the opposite of things being predetermined/destiny lol...

RandomManJay
17-02-2009, 01:00 AM
But there's a difference between determinism, fatalism and causalty so I'm finding it confusing. What's the saying meant to mean?

I suppose the saying can mean that all events that occur have a logical explanation for, and therefore a logical outcome, or that an event has occured because somehow it was meant or intended to happen. Determinism states that everything has a previous event which has been predetermined for that specific reason for the desired outcome, fatalism is simply the acceptance that events will occur as a means to an eventual end without question, and causality (I'm guessing thats what you meant to type), questions what and whether a particular event preceeded and is directly linked to the outcome. So I suppose the main differences are what is actually being questioned, whether something did happen for a reason, what was that reason, why did it happen for that reason, how did it happen for that reason, and so on.

Rock
17-02-2009, 05:46 PM
I think so. Bad things often lead to good things in the end. This has happened to me often. If we got everything we wanted effortlessly then life would be boring.

We are here to be challenged to get what we want.

The Professor
17-02-2009, 06:27 PM
Not at all. You have to believe in some sort of omniscient force (God, Karma etc) to believe that isolated things happen for a reason. If you don't, you're just looking for something to excuse what you've done which seems a bit like avoiding responsibility imo.

Janeisntpleased
17-02-2009, 06:53 PM

how can you believe that certain things happen for a reason and certain things don't? surely it's either everything or nothing?

MizMe93
17-02-2009, 07:33 PM
I dont think so, I think people invented the idea of a 'reason'.
I think life is a series of randon events over which we have some slight control. If you go out and look at the stars do you see patterns? Constellations? yea, most people do. but they aren’t there. We try to see order in chaos. Sometimes there is only chaos.

colourpot
17-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Yeh everything does happen for a reason. There is a purpose for everything that happens.

Agnostic Bear
17-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Nope, things just happen because they can, no reason at all. Happens to me all the time.

Jesus-Egg
17-02-2009, 11:09 PM
Yes in the sense that event A causes event B, which in turn causes event C etc. But no, I don't believe there is any divine reasoning to why things happen. They just happen.

Hazza
17-02-2009, 11:17 PM
Everything happens for a reason.
All I am saying :)

Virgin Mary
17-02-2009, 11:23 PM
Everything happens for a reason.
All I am saying :)
Aren't you going to tell us the reason?

clueless
18-02-2009, 04:55 AM
I'm not religious in any shape or form but I do believe this and in karma

Slowpoke
18-02-2009, 04:58 AM
Yes, I do.

Immenseman
18-02-2009, 04:59 AM
Not at all. You have to believe in some sort of omniscient force (God, Karma etc) to believe that isolated things happen for a reason. If you don't, you're just looking for something to excuse what you've done which seems a bit like avoiding responsibility imo.
I don't think you have to believe in any of that, it's just merely common sense everything that happens has a reason behind it. "I dropped a cup" that'll be because your fingers opened and you lost grip. I struggle to see how events don't have reasoning behind them, they must.

I certainly don't think it's God determining it or any other religious explanations.

Trinity
18-02-2009, 05:25 AM
Of course everything happens for a reason, it's a simple, unquestionable fact. That reason being that something previous caused it to happen, just like Immenseman said. (Which means that if you could work out exactly what happened at the beginning of the universe, you should be able to predict the entire future of it)
This also means that everything is predetermined, and has been since the beginning.

But if you mean does everything happen for some sort of future based reason (bad wording, I know), then absolutely not, the present/future has no effect on the past, only on our interpretation of the past.
(Although if you listen to some theorists, both are exactly the same thing)

Janeisntpleased
18-02-2009, 05:20 PM
I don't think you have to believe in any of that, it's just merely common sense everything that happens has a reason behind it. "I dropped a cup" that'll be because your fingers opened and you lost grip. I struggle to see how events don't have reasoning behind them, they must.

I certainly don't think it's God determining it or any other religious explanations.

is what you're saying about the cup more causality? if so then yeh everything obviously happens for a reason. i thought the question referred to everything having some sort of deeper meaning, if that makes sense.

Hazzles
25-02-2009, 08:37 PM
Possibly.
Not like karma and that if you do something bad, bad stuff will happen, so anything bad happens to me is my fault, but more like I was meant to do this, its not my fault.
But this may just be an excuse to blame someone else, so yeah, not sure.

Swearwolf
25-02-2009, 08:49 PM
if there was a reason for whats happening to me right now i sure as hell would like to know it.

Smarteh.
09-03-2009, 09:37 PM
Hmm for me i think it is true as for everything i do there is a outcome which is either good or bad and it always seems to make sense on why it happens. But i think this is because of natural cause and what you do to make it happen. Example, if you repetitively do something like run up the stairs and you fall.

This is also a motto of famous tennis player Daniela Hantuchova. :eusa_danc

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!