PDA

View Full Version : The "Review Your Team" Thread

Twist
17-02-2009, 03:32 PM
This is a thread that allows people on the forum to review their team's performances this season, and predict where you think they will end up in the league tables in May. You can include your team's top scorers, best performers, ect. I'll start it off with Wolves (by the way, you can review for example Cardiff is someone else has already reviewed them).
Well, where can I start with Wolves? We got off to a goodISH start with an away point at Home Park against now struggling Plymouth, with youngster and substitute Sam Vokes grabbing a brace. That marked the start of an 8 game unbeaten run in the league. In the cup however we exited to League 2 strugglers Rotherham which, dispite it being the Carling Cup, I was still pissed off about. Anyway - with that 8 game unbeaten run (7 of which being victories), we were 3 points clear at the top by the end of September. A thumping by Reading lead to only 1 win in 4 games, leading to everyone thinking that our form was going to drop. However we once again went on an 8 game unbeaten streak in the league after that, which, again, included 7 victories. We were becoming the pace setters in the Championship - and it looked like we weren't going to stop. Ebanks-Blake and Iwelumo were becoming a fantastic partnership, with 25 league goals between them come the end of November (dispite Chris' harsh sending off against Preston). We entered December full of confidence - but we began with a tough 1-0 loss away to QPR (they are somewhat of a fortress at Loftus Road, so I wasn't all too suprised). But once again we showed what we were made of, coming back with 3 wins on the trot which included a nervy 1-0 victory away to Doncaster (one of the only games I've been to this season :P). But towards the end of December, that was when the wobble began. In the next 9 league games, which leads up to now, we only managed 1 victory which was a 3-1 triumph over relegation strugglers Watford. As we all know, every team hits a bad spell at one time or another during a season, and thankfully - Birmingham and Reading have hit theirs at the same time as us. Birmingham having only won once in their last 6 league games, whilst Reading have only got 3 points once in their last 4 league games. Dispite the dip in league form, we had a sniff of luck in the cup as we beat promotion & midlands rivals Birmingham 2-0 in the FA Cup 3rd Round, before cruely being knocked out in the 4th Round 2-1 by Premier League Middlesborough.

So that brings us to now - and dispite us still being top of the table with 13 games to go, I'm not all to confident. Birmingham and Reading both have games in hand over us, Birmingham with 1 and Reading with 2 - which means that if they both win their games in hand we could wind up in 3rd place (albeit if Birmingham win their game in hand by 10 goals). But Reading look set to take top spot from us, and with Cardiff having 4 games in hand over us - it's safe to say that alot of Wolves fans will be nervous. Especially with us still needing to play Cardiff on Sunday in the league and Birmingham on April 4th. However dispite these games, our remaining 11 games apart from those arn't too worrying as most are in the bottom half of the table (I am slightly worried about the visit of Doncaster on the final day of the season though). Dispite the fact that Chris Iwelumo hasn't hit the net in a number of games, the options in attack is probably going to be the thing that keeps us in contention for a Premier League spot next season. Infact, in the last 9 games where we have only won once - we have managed to score in every game apart from the 1-0 loss to Reading (kind of understandable :P). It's just the fact that the defence is extremely poor at the moment, with seemingly no confidence. Christophe Berra should be a big help with that though after signing in the January Transfer Window. Here's our 5 top scorers list for this season - something that helps me realise how strong our attacking options are.
Ebanks-Blake - 20
Iwelumo - 15
Kightly - 7
Vokes - 7
Keogh - 5
Even though Keogh & Vokes have only scored 12 between them, they are a great substitute for Chris & Sylvan.
VERDICT: Dispite our strongest season for a number of years, I'm still nervy about the coming games. With Cardiff, Reading and Birmingham all gaining on us, and fast - my prediction for this season for Wolves is a close 3rd/4th. In the Play-Offs, anything can happen - so I'm not prepared to predict on that just yet.
Your turn ;).

Disaronno
17-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Dude, didnt you have the KC stadium in your signature

busybabes
17-02-2009, 03:38 PM
embarrassing

wolves and hull fan oh dear

Twist
17-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Dude, didnt you have the KC stadium in your signature
I'm really Malachy - I support Wolves but I'm permed on Malachy now so I thought I may aswell tell you the truth :P.

embarrassing

wolves and hull fan oh dear
Wolves fan*.
Glory hunting Man United fan and just an idiot in general - embarassing.

busybabes
17-02-2009, 03:44 PM
yep. every united fan is a glory hunter.

Twist
17-02-2009, 03:45 PM
yep. every united fan is a glory hunter.
No not every United fan - but you are.

Disaronno
17-02-2009, 03:45 PM
I'm really Malachy - I support Wolves but I'm permed on Malachy now so I thought I may aswell tell you the truth :P.

Wolves fan*.
Glory hunting Man United fan and just an idiot in general - embarassing.

Oh Ok, im not trying to **** you over im just asking.

Anyways on topic. I thinkk arsenal will win the fa cup and finish 3rd. I believe it will finish Liverpool, United, Arsenal, Villa, Chelsea. I think Van persie will be top goal scorer with around 28 goals. I think Arshavin will make a big impact and once we get a full squad out we will do better than what we are already.

busybabes
17-02-2009, 03:47 PM
No not every United fan - but you are.
you dont even know me

Jack.Lfc
17-02-2009, 03:48 PM
United will win league
Liverpool will win champions league :)

Twist
17-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Oh Ok, im not trying to **** you over im just asking.

Anyways on topic. I thinkk arsenal will win the fa cup and finish 3rd. I believe it will finish Liverpool, United, Arsenal, Villa, Chelsea. I think Van persie will be top goal scorer with around 28 goals. I think Arshavin will make a big impact and once we get a full squad out we will do better than what we are already.
I know :P.

Good luck with that prediction - somehow I can't see you doing all to well. Goalscorer wise, van Persie looks to me like he'll have to lead the way on his own because I can see Arshavin being a flop, what with it being a new country and all. Look at Pavlyuchenko - took him a while to settle in at Spurs and hasn't been scoring that consistently in the league. 28 goals for van Persie is a bit optimistic :P. I hope that Eduardo can get back to form, but I don't think 2 goals against a VERY lacklustre Cardiff side proves a whole bunch. He's a talented footballer, but I'm waiting for him to start hitting the net in the big time.

Disaronno
17-02-2009, 03:51 PM
If i aim high, if it all goes wrong i can say meh to high and next season i can lower it. if i aim high and it goes smoothley next season it will be tough to predict. However, i do think that once our squad is back to its strengths, we will dominate next season.

Geraint
17-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Looking lovely and rosy for Cardiff this season. 4th with 4 games in hand and 12 points behind the leaders. If only we hadn't thrown it away against Blackpool, Norwich, Reading and Birmingham. If only...

busybabes
17-02-2009, 04:17 PM
Looking lovely and rosy for Cardiff this season. 4th with 4 games in hand and 12 points behind the leaders. If only we hadn't thrown it away against Blackpool, Norwich, Reading and Birmingham. If only...
doesnt even know where his team are in the league :lol:

Twist
17-02-2009, 04:20 PM
Wow, he was off by one position - who gives a ****? They still have 4 games in hand so it's more than likely they will be 4th and even higher by the time they've played them.

Geraint
17-02-2009, 04:25 PM

getting carried away. maybe if you felt emotion like some of us do on here, you might get carried away aswell.

Wow, he was off by one position - who gives a ****? They still have 4 games in hand so it's more than likely they will be 4th and even higher by the time they've played them.

forgot that preston won on saturday so went above us.

Twist
19-02-2009, 02:58 PM
getting carried away. maybe if you felt emotion like some of us do on here, you might get carried away aswell.

forgot that preston won on saturday so went above us.
He doesn't feel any emotion :P.

MeRkAgE
19-02-2009, 07:04 PM
Umm, kind of disappointed in the results this season for us.
We're around 17th atm in the table, 6 or so points off the bottom four.
It's frustrating to watch as a fan, but it's quite expected considering we sell all our best players ( Mark Bunn to Blackburn, etc ) . And we do not buy players, instead we get them in on loan, such as a goalkeeper from Man Utd, WHO HASN'T STARTED A MATCH AT ALL since coming to us, few months back. Our keeper is a shambles, calamity prone all the time, and players like Leon Constantine need to be shipped immediately, preferably next day delivery. We should escape relegation, if we beat the teams around us ( i.e Crewe etc ) and it'll be fine. Hopefully the last game of the season - Leeds away - will bring some joy to this disappointing season :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!