PDA

View Full Version : Do you belive that..

Jord
09-03-2009, 01:41 AM
If you belive in god you have to go church each week? I know it aint alot to ask but I live quite far from a church.

I think we dont need to go church every week to belive in god and be catholic

Bren
09-03-2009, 02:25 AM
I believe I am God and I do wish people who follow me to attend church once a week.

Jord
09-03-2009, 02:35 AM
you dont even belive in god lol

09-03-2009, 02:48 AM
I dont believe in god, but however im pretty sure to be catholic your supposed to go to church once a week, get forgiven for your sins etc.

Shibby-Shabs
09-03-2009, 09:45 AM
I don't think you have to go to church every week, I think your ment to be holy on the sabbath day and pray all day.

Profit
09-03-2009, 09:48 AM
My girlfreind goes every sundayy near enough..

grr, i hatee it.

she should be spending timee with me ;) in my bedd hahaa

x

RandomManJay
09-03-2009, 11:14 AM
I don't really think its a requirement otherwise it would state somewhere that you have to go regardless of whatever's happening in your life. Normally people who go to church go to be 'closer to God' or are extremely devout (usually God fearing in that respect), but you don't really have to go, one of my friends who's catholic never goes to church, but he's still catholic regardless.

Hiro
09-03-2009, 12:22 PM
My girlfreind goes every sundayy near enough..

grr, i hatee it.

she should be spending timee with me ;) in my bedd hahaa

x

That's just egocentric.
You don't need to go to Church if you believe in God. But if you're a dedicated member of your religion then you would surely go to Church once or twice a month, minimum.
If you believe in God and don't go, the Bible does say that He loves everyone as they are, in whatever shape and form - not that exactly, but y'know.

Richie
09-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Hmm im classed as Catholic but i never go to church yet im baptisd and that but i think some people missuse it i myself had to choice in the matter as i was younger but now i honestly dont believe there is a god or perhaps there is but since my perants lied about santa il never trust them:P lol!

And for the answer i dont think if your catholic you have to go to church, you can still pray at home or whatever some people may not have time for church

Good Discussion Thread :)

Hecktix
09-03-2009, 12:58 PM
This is a really controversial issue within religion.
To be part of a religion you must confom to the certain methods of practice that that certain religion follow.

Certainly to be a true Catholic, you would be frowned upon for not attending church services at least once a week, as you have to take the Holy Communion. It annoys me when people say "I'm Catholic" just because they believe in God and want to be religious - yet they don't follow any of the traditional methods of Catholicism. Of course, there are "relaxed" Catholics, however they are relaxed on things such as contraception, abortion, but a true Catholic will go to church on a weekly basis.

This is also similar for Anglican Christians, again, they would probably frown upon you for not going to church weekly, however it's not as important as it is for the Catholics with their Holy Communion.

Of course, there are plenty of other different sects within Christianity, many of which do not require you to go to church regularly.

United Reformed Church, The Evangelical Movement and New Life take a different approach to worship, they also take many different, controversial approaches towards Christianity, which again may not float your boat.

The contraversial side of the arguement is is it possible to believe without belonging? What this means is can you believe in God, pray etc but without belonging to a certain Religion. I was completely oblivious to this side of Religion until I took Religious Studies at AS level, I frown upon Religious movement quite a lot, especially the indoctrinating kind. However I understand why people believe although I would class myself as an atheist, but my Philosophy AS level even made me question the possibility of some sort of God existing... but by no means am I going to start going to church and worshipping every week.

It's a free world in terms of thought, if you want to believe you can, you don't have to be part of a specific movement, and you don't even really have to believe in the Judeao-Christian God (as we know God from the Bible)... you could just believe in a form.

Guru Nanak once said "There is no Hindu God and there is no Muslim God, there is one God who unites us all in equality"

Although Nanak only refers to Hinduism & Islam (due to the context in which he said this), this works for what I'm trying to say as well.

So yeah, you don't have to go to Church to believe in God.

buttons
09-03-2009, 01:27 PM
i go when it matters, obviously sunday is a very holy day but i don't feel the need to go every sunday. sometimes i help out at the kids creche on a sunday but it's not as if i'm going to go to hell if i don't. I go to churches at funerals, i go to mass on christmas eve and if i'm asked along for anything else I'll go. If you believe in God that's enough for him, if you pray and give your thanks that's enough for him, I don't think it matters aslong as you don't do anything too bad and if you do you're to pray for forgivness, going to church doesn't make anyone less or more of a Christian than the next.

FlyingJesus
09-03-2009, 01:37 PM
It annoys me when people say "I'm Catholic" just because they believe in God and want to be religious - yet they don't follow any of the traditional methods of Catholicism.

This.
As we're again talking pretty much exclusively about the Christian God rather than any random god you could come up with, yes if you are going to say you're a Christian of any kind then you should be going to church. If you really believe in the God of the Bible then you'd surely both love and fear Him enough to at least do as the book tells you to. I don't know of anyone who actually follows the Bible properly (and most people who claim to be Christian don't even know half the teachings) and the church itself doesn't help this with the new Evangelical attitude where you can pretty much do as you please as long as in the end you say you believe. How anyone can claim to believe in such a force and not do as He says though is beyond me.

If you believe in God that's enough for him, if you pray and give your thanks that's enough for him

Not according to the book He apparently dictated to be written.

GommeInc
09-03-2009, 01:43 PM
It depends on what religion and form of christianity you wish to follow. The Anglican Church say no, but the Catholic church may want all Catholics to go to church once a week. The Anglican Church doesn't mind if you can't get to church for health reasons. The church will usually pray for you if anything. But if you can get to church, but it means a long journey, then that may be a problem. Half of the church says you should go while the other half says you should pray during Sunday mornings and attend Bible studies. Not all areas of Christianity follow all parts of the Bible, that would be insane and impossible to do without going back on your word. So you may just find that some areas change the rules depending on their fellowship (members).

FlyingJesus
09-03-2009, 02:08 PM
So you may just find that some areas change the rules depending on what makes it easiest to live a normal Western life and not have to actually give a thought to your religion.

More true

RedStratocas
09-03-2009, 03:05 PM
most religious people these days only follow their religion when it pleases them. getting up early on a sunday doesnt please a lot of people.

Bun
09-03-2009, 04:24 PM
i'm not religious but no, you shouldn't have to.

J0SH
09-03-2009, 04:37 PM
There's a church 5 minutes away from us Gord, I guess it is far away when it's a strain on your ankles

Jord
09-03-2009, 04:38 PM
I don't think you have to go to church every week, I think your ment to be holy on the sabbath day and pray all day.

I pray everyday

I don't really think its a requirement otherwise it would state somewhere that you have to go regardless of whatever's happening in your life. Normally people who go to church go to be 'closer to God' or are extremely devout (usually God fearing in that respect), but you don't really have to go, one of my friends who's catholic never goes to church, but he's still catholic regardless.

thats like me :P

Hecktix
09-03-2009, 04:43 PM
the church itself doesn't help this with the new Evangelical attitude where you can pretty much do as you please as long as in the end you say you believe. How anyone can claim to believe in such a force and not do as He says though is beyond me.

Erm... the problem with the Evangelical movement is that they take the Bible a little too literally. Not "do as you please" Evangelicals state, you will read the Bible, you will do as God says and most certainly you will believe, or you'll go to hell. Most street preachers are charismatic evangelicals. They believe in spreading the word, so although they do have a very orthodox, strict attitude towards the Bible, they would rather you go out and spread the word than go to church. The other movements I mentioned, URC and New Life, they have hardly any rules whatsoever and their services are more like youth clubs but for everybody.

But under no circumstances can Evangelical followers "do as they please" and they most certainly follow the Bible. I went to a local Evangelical church the other month, just out of pure curiousity... and I questioned the Pastor there, and to whatever religious controversy I could present him with, he referred to the Bible.. Including questions about homosexuality & homosexuals joining the church, women preachers - he referred directly to quotes from the Bible.

Also, Charasmatic evangelicals/pentecostals are known to indoctrinate people, and they are also the idiots who bomb abortion clinics. I have a perfect video of an Evangelical Pentecostal "Jesus Camp" in America, which I shall post in seperate debate.

buttons
09-03-2009, 04:53 PM
Also, Charasmatic evangelicals/pentecostals are known to indoctrinate people, and they are also the idiots who bomb abortion clinics. I have a perfect video of an Evangelical Pentecostal "Jesus Camp" in America, which I shall post in seperate debate.
they bomb abortion clinics because they're against abortion yet they're commiting sins by murder if anyone is ever in these clinics at the time:S
anyway yeh i've seen that, it's just extreme. The kids are actually on their knees crying and "preaching" because this is how they've been brainwashed, it's so stupid.

Laggings
09-03-2009, 07:23 PM
i nva go to church. OMG IM goin 2 hell :(

Crimson
09-03-2009, 08:51 PM
If you belive in god you have to go church each week? I know it aint alot to ask but I live quite far from a church.

I think we dont need to go church every week to belive in god and be catholic

No. All christians/catholics will say the same. At least the majority.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!