PDA

View Full Version : UEFA Cup Quarter/Semi Final Draw

Twist
20-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Some people might not know that the UEFA Cup quarter & semi finals draw took place earlier today, due to it being rather overshadowed by the Champions League Draw. Anyway there is a thread for the Champions League draw so I thought I should make one for the UEFA Cup draw.
Anyway here are the quarter & semi-final draw results, with only one English team remaining in the competition.
Uefa Cup quarter-final draw

Hamburg v Manchester City
Paris St Germain v Dynamo Kiev
Shakhtar Donetsk v Marseille
Werder Bremen v Udinese
Ties to be played on 9th April and 16th April.

Uefa Cup semi-final draw

Werder Bremen or Udinese v Hamburg or Manchester City
Paris St Germain or Dynamo Kiev v Shakhtar Donetsk v Marseille
Ties to be played on 30th April and 7th May.

My predictions are as follows.
Hamburg v Manchester City
Paris St Germain v Dynamo Kiev
Shakhtar Donetsk v Marseille
Werder Bremen v Udinese

Werder Bremen or Udinese v Hamburg or Manchester City
Paris St Germain or Dynamo Kiev v Shakhtar Donetsk v Marseille

Manchester City v Shakhtar Donetsk

Zenit, AC, Valencia, Villa and more big teams were eliminated from the competition in the earlier stages, so it's a rather suprising final 8.

JackBuddy
20-03-2009, 05:07 PM
Suprised you think that Marseille will lose, hey ho. No real suprise that those big teams are out of it really, they have more important things to deal with in their leagues. UEFA cup is a secondary competition.

Twist
20-03-2009, 05:19 PM
Suprised you think that Marseille will lose, hey ho. No real suprise that those big teams are out of it really, they have more important things to deal with in their leagues. UEFA cup is a secondary competition.
Well you never know with this competition as it's shown - and Shaktar knocked out CSKA (the team who knocked out Villa in the Round of 32) and I think they can go all the way and win it. Fernandinho is a cracking player.

Loser
20-03-2009, 08:45 PM
I think Werder Bremen will reach the final, they're actually a very strong team.

JackBuddy
20-03-2009, 09:51 PM
Well you never know with this competition as it's shown - and Shaktar knocked out CSKA (the team who knocked out Villa in the Round of 32) and I think they can go all the way and win it. Fernandinho is a cracking player.
Shaktar knocked out Spurs too. 3-1 on aggregate. They weren't great- especially when you look at the teams we fielded because the carling cup final and whatnot. They really weren't that impressive. Villa lost to CSKA in the same circumstances.

Twist
20-03-2009, 09:52 PM
Shaktar knocked out Spurs too. 3-1 on aggregate. They weren't great- especially when you look at the teams we fielded because the carling cup final and whatnot. They really weren't that impressive. Villa lost to CSKA in the same circumstances.
Goals win football matches, and they score alot of them when it comes to the UEFA Cup and when it matters.

Minstrels
20-03-2009, 09:55 PM

And what does that make the Carling Cup?

JackBuddy
20-03-2009, 09:55 PM
Goals win football matches, and they score alot of them when it comes to the UEFA Cup and when it matters.
Yeah but my point is that you can't really label them a good team because they had beaten secondary premier league sides.

Twist
20-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Yeah but my point is that you can't really label them a good team because they had beaten secondary premier league sides.
Well no but I just believe they are a good team in general anyway.
They've beaten Barca, Kiev, Spurs and CSKA this season in Europe and are 2nd in their national league.
I feel that they have a good enough team and spirit to go all the way.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!