PDA

View Full Version : Tec help +rep ASAP PLEASE

SpicyChippy
31-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Ok

what does ferrous and non-ferrious mean?

what does plastics- fermo and fermo set mean?

and what does hard wood and soft woods manifatured mean?

DieselShaq
01-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Ferrous means magnetic. Note the "Fe" at the beginning of "ferrous", which is the symbol for iron, the material which is used to make the core of a magnet. Non-ferrous is the opposite, i.e. not magnetic.

I think you mean thermoplastic and thermoset. A thermoplastic is a polymer which heats to liquid and cools to a glassy state. A thermoset, on the other hand, cannot be altered in shape so once it cools to a solid from liquid state, you can't change it.

As for the woods, I'm not sure.

SpicyChippy
01-04-2009, 06:46 PM
Ferrous means magnetic. Note the "Fe" at the beginning of "ferrous", which is the symbol for iron, the material which is used to make the core of a magnet. Non-ferrous is the opposite, i.e. not magnetic.

I think you mean thermoplastic and thermoset. A thermoplastic is a polymer which heats to liquid and cools to a glassy state. A thermoset, on the other hand, cannot be altered in shape so once it cools to a solid from liquid state, you can't change it.

As for the woods, I'm not sure.

+rep im sure i ment that aswell lol

Isoelectric
12-04-2009, 07:39 PM
and what does hard wood and soft woods manifatured mean?

I'm taking this as you asking what hard woods, soft woods, and manufactured woods are:

-Hard woods are things like mahogany, ebony, beech, maple and oak - think of things like desks and cabinets which are hard; they are made of these woods

-Soft woods are things like pine and fir, which are also used in furniture but you can remember them as soft woods because they have a sort of smell; also they are generally in mountains and snowy places.

-Manufactured wood or manufactured board includes things like plywood, MDF, chipboard and hardboard. They are used in things such as kitchen worktops and cabinets and cheap furniture.

Hope this helps :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!