PDA

View Full Version : A Level law?

ToxicPaddy
07-04-2009, 04:55 PM
I've heard that taking A Level law is a bad idea, but why? I would like to be a solicitor when I'm older, surely I would have to do A level law for that? Any help, +rep :D

Soy
07-04-2009, 05:01 PM
You don't neccessarily have to take A level Law to become a lawyer, it's all about law school.

It's actually not as an important subject as it sounds like, alot of people take it and just get bored out of their minds

ToxicPaddy
07-04-2009, 05:03 PM
You don't neccessarily have to take A level Law to become a lawyer, it's all about law school.

It's actually not as an important subject as it sounds like, alot of people take it and just get bored out of their minds

Thanks, +rep :) Any idea what good subjects would be to take for A level to help with becoming a solicitor?

Just want to point out now - no way will I pick maths. I'm predicted an A* but I find it very hard and will be glad to stop doing it after GCSE :)

Jordy
07-04-2009, 05:04 PM
You haven't looked into this at all it's clear but I'm glad you asked anyway. If you want to study Law at University, do not study law at A Level.

Law at A Level puts you into a lot of bad habits for when you take Law at University and it's less likely University's will accept you on a Law course if you have it, some University's would go as far as to reject you for taking law at A Level and trying to take it as a degree. Law at A Level is meant to be combined with things like business.

If you want to study Law at University you need to do traditional subjects (Maths, English, Science, History, Economics are most of them).

Soy
07-04-2009, 06:08 PM
Maths is really, REALLY hard at A level, even people who get an A* in maths year 11 will find it difficult and struggle

Virgin Mary
07-04-2009, 06:23 PM
Law is a blacklisted A level i.e. if you apply to a good uni it will count against you. It's recommended you take something like English lit/Politics/History/any latinate language instead.

leah
07-04-2009, 07:23 PM
I take Law and I really enjoy it. It's one of my favourite subjects and it's really interesting :P

PoizZoNxX
07-04-2009, 07:32 PM
I take it, I enjoy it. Granted I didn't do too well in the January Exam but it's a good subject.

Janeisntpleased
07-04-2009, 08:13 PM
you don't need a level law to do it at uni, infact you don't need any specific subjects.

everyone who's saying that they will reject you on the basis that you do law is chatting complete crap. the only subjects i'd say that uni's wouldn't want you to do if you wanted to do a law degree are things like media, photography etc.

obviously some subjects would be beneficial to you because of the skills you'd pick up by studying them but there aren't any necessary ones.

basically you need straight A's at A2 and some form of work experience. but obviously there'll be a lot of candidates with that so you'll need other things on your application to make you stand out, if your college does extended projects that'd be a great idea.

Ramones
07-04-2009, 11:03 PM
you don't need a level law to do it at uni, infact you don't need any specific subjects.

everyone who's saying that they will reject you on the basis that you do law is chatting complete crap. the only subjects i'd say that uni's wouldn't want you to do if you wanted to do a law degree are things like media, photography etc.

obviously some subjects would be beneficial to you because of the skills you'd pick up by studying them but there aren't any necessary ones.

basically you need straight A's at A2 and some form of work experience. but obviously there'll be a lot of candidates with that so you'll need other things on your application to make you stand out, if your college does extended projects that'd be a great idea.

The truth.

I think it would be pretty beneficial to study law at A level, all tutors will tell you different things. Someone said earlier 'it puts you in bad habits', i was told several times from high authority that this isn't true and don't know why people ever started saying this. I think studying law at a level has gave me a headstart over people doing a QLD for the first time at uni. And i think is a really interesting subject, aslong as you do crime, tort and contract iz gay.

Virgin Mary
07-04-2009, 11:45 PM
Sorry, I didn't clarify. I meant good universities blacklist it. As in top 10/20, i.e. if you get straight As and someone else does who's done something like History over Law then they'll probably pick the other person. If you're applying to Skegness Metropolitan University of Arts and Crafts or w.e. then I'm sure they take whatever they get.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-567169/Universities-backlash-soft-subjects-accounting-A-levels.html

Janeisntpleased
08-04-2009, 12:27 AM
Sorry, I didn't clarify. I meant good universities blacklist it. As in top 10/20, i.e. if you get straight As and someone else does who's done something like History over Law then they'll probably pick the other person. If you're applying to Skegness Metropolitan University of Arts and Crafts or w.e. then I'm sure they take whatever they get.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-567169/Universities-backlash-soft-subjects-accounting-A-levels.html

oh right well yeh i agree, top uni's would prefer something like history seeing as it is considered more academic and challenging but i wouldn't say they blacklist it completely.

so in short, i wouldn't worry about being rejected by unis for choosing law.

Janeisntpleased
08-04-2009, 12:48 AM
my bad for double post.

Dragkid
16-04-2009, 07:20 PM
I wanted to become a lawyer too. I'm taking a level law, don't really care what other people say about it.

Seacat
17-04-2009, 08:35 PM
Law at A Level is good and no university should exclude you from carrying on Law in to a degree, not even the top 10.

I did A Level Law and applied to university to do a Law degree and got offers from all of the universities I applied for including Durham (ranked 8th for Law) and Warwick (which I think was ranked 5th when I applied).

I also did English Language, ICT, Psychology and General Studies (which probably won't count for much depending where you're applying although some will accept it including Leicester which was ranked about 9th when I applied).

Good luck.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!