PDA

View Full Version : Lunch/Breaks are they needed?

:oRach
13-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Do you think that a Lunch/Break is needed? or just a waste of time or to see friends. Give me your opinion!

Jordan,
13-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Of course its needed people need to have breaks

buttons
13-04-2009, 04:51 PM
obviously, you're meant to eat at least something little every 3 hours or so, plus you're just gonna be tired and not likely to work if you don't have any.

Melsia
13-04-2009, 04:52 PM
Yes, of course they're needed. It has been proven that the brain can only concentrate for a certain amount of time, can't remember how long this is.
Also the social part of school is quite a large part of it and imagine what a nightmare it would be with no breaks O.o

Four
13-04-2009, 04:54 PM
What a stupid question..

Of course there needed, .. Food? Drink?

Nemo
13-04-2009, 04:59 PM
they're the only fun thing about school apart from games

Rozi
13-04-2009, 05:20 PM
Well, if they completely restructured the school day like in hot countrys - Have lessons in the morning, go home at lunch for like 3 hours, then you come back after your ciesta, then we wouldn''t need breaks. But how it is now, yeh we do need them

FlyingJesus
13-04-2009, 05:29 PM
I believe there's a certain amount of time (about an hour to my knowledge) that schools have to provide as break, however they want to do it through the day. It happens in the workplace too, assuming you work over a particular number of hours at a time

Soy
13-04-2009, 05:31 PM
lunch time should be 10-15 minutes

J0SH
13-04-2009, 05:33 PM
Obviously, I'm not gonna starve all day and I want a little break to speak to mates, stretch my legs and get fresh air, I would hate it if I had to do 6 lessons in a row without any breaks, I'd go mad..

Rozi
13-04-2009, 05:38 PM

That wouldn't work coz everyone eats at different times and it takes me that long just to get my food and plus my friend takes about 45 minutes to eat her lunch because shes got digestive problems or something.

Axel
13-04-2009, 05:48 PM
Imagine working for 6 or so hours straight. It'd be hard to keep concentration for that long, hence breaks.

paul4wolves
13-04-2009, 05:50 PM
This is a thick thread, you blatently need a rest and something to eat to live.

Jord
13-04-2009, 06:09 PM
1 Break for like 30 mins is okay, Id prefer to skip the breaks, just get school over with and For year 6's and below its ok I suppose

Nicola
13-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Of course break and lunch are needed. O_o

PriceTags
13-04-2009, 06:59 PM

How would almost 1000 children be served in that time?

If I was to wake up every day and think "oh hooray 5 hours of solid work" I would probably lose the will to live, and I wouldn't have the resources to live, because I will have to go for 6 and a half hours (if I eat breakfast at 8, and get home at what would be 2:25 without break and lunch) without food. People would faint and all sorts. If my sister doesn't eat regularly, she'll just fall to the floor and conk out.

Caution
13-04-2009, 07:16 PM
Of course they are? I think it's legally required, plus I think the skiving rates would increase considering many people wouldn't want to work for 6 hours straight.

Sixiz
13-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Stupid Question, We have to eat.. We have to chill and play, So Hell yeah

Richie
13-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Nope i dont think people need to stop working they need to eat and drink yes they should give out MCdonalds in class's and have chairs that transform into toilets and bingo was your name-o your sorted.

PriceTags
14-04-2009, 05:19 AM
Nope i dont think people need to stop working they need to eat and drink yes they should give out MCdonalds in class's and have chairs that transform into toilets and bingo was your name-o your sorted.

What do you think the likelihood of that is?

Bun
14-04-2009, 10:35 AM
I believe there's a certain amount of time (about an hour to my knowledge) that schools have to provide as break, however they want to do it through the day. It happens in the workplace too, assuming you work over a particular number of hours at a time
as far as work goes, you have to be supplied a break if working 6 hours.

:Technical
14-04-2009, 11:43 AM
It depends on how much hours you do.
You can go up to 4 hours without any break but one allowance to go to the toilet.

School hours you are allowed 2 breaks, toilet break and then lunch break.
Usually a toilet break is around half of an hour, the lunch is about 1 hour.

If you comply the school hours with a job you won't be as lucky, youl only get a lunch break.

Grig
14-04-2009, 12:21 PM
You'd suffer in your last lesson without one. However, they don't help in terms on concentration anyway, as the last lesson during the afternoon has be proven the time where you have the least concentration.

I think they should be kept...

jackass
14-04-2009, 08:50 PM
I'm shocked that this thread was even made?

Obviously Lunch/breaks are needed, I don't see how anyone can think otherwise. :S

GommeInc
14-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Wasn't there a survey years ago that proved that breaks of any kind at school increased productivity? It keeps people motivated, fed and happy.

If you comply the school hours with a job you won't be as lucky, you'll only get a lunch break.
Ummm, not all jobs are like that... Most jobs that only have a lunch break usually don't demand alot from an employer. A Sales Executive for a car company will only have a lunch break, because their job revolves around talking to clients which don't queue up outside doors and paperwork, which are usually handled by a special office section within the company to check finance options and whether or not someone can buy a car and give them the go ahead. Though not all car companies only give an employer a lunch break, it depends on the area...

Grig
15-04-2009, 10:22 AM
I know for a fact actually that some countries have legal obligation to have an hour off for lunch. This isn't true in the UK though, but it is generally accepted internationally.

Mint
15-04-2009, 11:03 AM

In my school the first dinner break was for year 7's and 11's, the second was year 9's and 10's, then I can't remember how we had dinner in the other years. So if a small section of the school (a year group or 2) are having dinner in like 20-30 mins ofcourse they can all get served, but maybe what you said is still a bit to short soy.

colourpot
15-04-2009, 11:33 AM
Yes. I dont think i'd wanna do 6 lessons in a row without going to the toilet or getting something to eat and drink, in my school we're only allowed to drink water in class but i dont think all 1250 pupils would wanna drink water all day >.>

Recursion
20-04-2009, 04:02 PM
Your brain is only meant to be able to concentrate for the amount of minutes to your age, so if your 15, 15 minutes LMAO.

So yeah, breaks are needed, I would die of boredom without them!

CJW93
23-04-2009, 08:51 PM
Lunch time is all about the two F's.

Football and Food

kuzkasate
23-04-2009, 09:14 PM
Oh Jesus! Of corse they are needed! Wouldnt you want your brain to relax after a few hours of hard work? Or just work for 6 hours no stop? Common seriously...

Marucho
23-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Yes. Your not allowed to eat or drink in classes so without break and lunch you'll only get 2 meals a day including breakfast duh. Your meant to have loads of little things to eat during the day so the idea of no break and lunch would never come into place and is a silly idea.

Chaos
23-04-2009, 09:43 PM
Do you think that a Lunch/Break is needed? or just a waste of time or to see friends. Give me your opinion!

Are you mentally challenged or anerexic? :/

kuzkasate
23-04-2009, 09:46 PM
Are you mentally challenged or anerexic? :/

I actually LOLed at that irl but anyway. S/He probably doesn't go school

SugarPlum.
23-04-2009, 10:04 PM
Definitely, i wouldn't be able to cope without lunch/breaks tbh.

It isn't all about the eating side of them either to me really, just that you get an hour and fifteen minutes off from bein stuffed in a classroom with lots of people you perhaps don't like working your **** off.

PaperFruits
27-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Yea you do need breaks because without them you could lose connections with friends that you dont see outside school and you cant hold your concentration for too long.

Arron
30-04-2009, 05:44 PM
I think break times are a reasonable length in our school, they last for 15 minutes. However Dinner Breaks imo are too long, they last 50 minutes. I think it's even worse in Winter when it's raining heavy and you've no where to go but outside. Summer it's okay because we can relax on the school field, play football/rugby etc.

I'd make School Dinner Times up to about 30 minutes long, I think that's enough time to eat and just chill out for a bit haha. If this was introduced into our school we'd finish at 3pm :eusa_danc

Caution
30-04-2009, 05:53 PM
I think break times are a reasonable length in our school, they last for 15 minutes. However Dinner Breaks imo are too long, they last 50 minutes. I think it's even worse in Winter when it's raining heavy and you've no where to go but outside. Summer it's okay because we can relax on the school field, play football/rugby etc.

I'd make School Dinner Times up to about 30 minutes long, I think that's enough time to eat and just chill out for a bit haha. If this was introduced into our school we'd finish at 3pm :eusa_danc
eh? are you not allowed to stay in the school like? 30 mins is wayy too short.

Arron
01-05-2009, 03:19 PM
eh? are you not allowed to stay in the school like? 30 mins is wayy too short.

We are yes, but they are soo boring :|

William93
10-05-2009, 09:26 AM

What you seem to forget is that every school is different.

For example, my school has different lunches. Each day you have a different lunch which can be different to people in other years. This is to avoid 800+ people in the hall at one time.

At my school it goes:

Lunch 1 - 11:45 to 12:20
Lunch 2 - 12:15 to 12:50
Lunch 3 - 12:40 to 1:15
Lunch 4 - 1:35 to 2:10

TheMagicTramp
10-05-2009, 09:41 AM
What a stupid question of course Lunch / Breaks are needed we obviously want to survive? Flippin' heck

Booooooo at the people who voted No though but hey that's your only opinion guys

cocaine
10-05-2009, 09:43 AM
You'd suffer in your last lesson without one. However, they don't help in terms on concentration anyway, as the last lesson during the afternoon has be proven the time where you have the least concentration.

I think they should be kept...

hmm, my last lesson on a friday was history - everyone had 100% focus during that lesson, it was really weird haa.

and this is an idiot thread, maybe OP should try it?

Plank
10-05-2009, 12:38 PM
You get lunch breaks and other breaks when you actually have a job, so why wouldn't they have them at school? :S

Geraint
10-05-2009, 02:17 PM
well, I wouldn't mind if they took our break of us and added it to dinner. we're late from dinner practically every day.

Zak
10-05-2009, 02:20 PM
They have to set breaks and lunchtime as required by law.

-leestrong-
11-05-2009, 07:07 AM
Without breaks I believe school would be much more stressful than it already is. At the moment it's a complete joke as it is.

- Lee

RandomManJay
11-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Well you need lunch otherwise you wouldn't eat for 6 (or more) hours straight, and the break and lunch give you the break you need between lessons so you can keep going.

RedStratocas
11-05-2009, 04:44 PM
yeah its needed. working too long, whether it be physical or mental labor, isnt good for you. idk about the uk but in the U.S. its the law that you have to have an hour break for every 8 hours of work.

Moh
11-05-2009, 04:54 PM
Of course they're needed. We don't really have breaks (apart from dinner) at college, were allowed to talk, go to toilet, go to vending machines at any time of the lesson really, well, maximum of going out once per hour (unless toilet obv)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!