PDA

View Full Version : Gov give £2000 off new car!

Ostinato
22-04-2009, 09:44 PM
Most of you probably well aware of this now, but though I would make a wee thread to discuss it!

For those who don't - as of next month until March if you have a car over 10 years old and have owned it for 12 months the gov will give you £2000 towards a brand new car in exchange for it!

I am so lucky actually as I bought myself a wee 98 corsa just in January there... so it means by next January I will have owned it the 12 months and still have 2 months to trade it in and get 2k off a new car, just as my mot and insurance also expires =)

Can't wait! :)

Alkaz
22-04-2009, 09:53 PM
i had some massive post here but ye, i dont like the idea

FlyingJesus
22-04-2009, 09:54 PM
That does mean you'll have to buy a new car (as in not 2nd hand) and will therefore need the rest of the money for that

dirrty
22-04-2009, 10:00 PM
thats all good, but the downside to buying a new car is the price depreciates fast lol.

Alkaz
22-04-2009, 10:06 PM
thats all good, but the downside to buying a new car is the price depreciates fast lol.
Thats obvious but if it put everyone off then there wouldnt be a car industry, its to encourage people to buy cars to put more money into that industry.

I see the other side too, would this make it depreciate even faster because they only really have a 10 year life span, what with low emission road tax groups, low emission zones in and around london and other cities in the UK.

J0SH
22-04-2009, 10:10 PM
That's a good idea, but with todays prices going up 2% or whatever they should do :P

GommeInc
22-04-2009, 10:29 PM
Most of you probably well aware of this now, but though I would make a wee thread to discuss it!

For those who don't - as of next month until March if you have a car over 10 years old and have owned it for 12 months the gov will give you £2000 towards a brand new car in exchange for it!

I am so lucky actually as I bought myself a wee 98 corsa just in January there... so it means by next January I will have owned it the 12 months and still have 2 months to trade it in and get 2k off a new car, just as my mot and insurance also expires =)

Can't wait! :)
I love you for putting that in AND being from Scotland. What sort of cars do you like? Or is it best to wait until next year to decide on one? I'm not really for this idea, it seems the government is hell-bent on the saving the environment when the money should be put to better use...

Ostinato
22-04-2009, 11:20 PM
That does mean you'll have to buy a new car (as in not 2nd hand) and will therefore need the rest of the money for that

I am not thick lol.

Yeh I guess if I wasn't included in it and couldn't qualify I would probably think the money could be better spent - but hey it might just save me 2000 quid! :P :)

leah
23-04-2009, 12:49 PM
I didn't know about that :O
how cool.

Ramones
23-04-2009, 05:12 PM
I love you for putting that in AND being from Scotland. What sort of cars do you like? Or is it best to wait until next year to decide on one? I'm not really for this idea, it seems the government is hell-bent on the saving the environment when the money should be put to better use...

I think looking at the environment and fuel consumption should be the governments number one priority. It's not going to be long until we're choosing between heating our houses and eating food...

CHA!NGANG
23-04-2009, 05:22 PM
Still ends up cheaper to buy a 2nd hand car. I'm looking for a car atm, and my parents have an old car they've owned for a few years and is older than 10 years, but I don't want to trade it in and get 2 Grand, and then have to pay another 5-6 Grand on top of it. Would rather just pay 3-4 Grand for a first car. Saying that, it is good for people that are experienced drivers and have some money spare and looking for a car.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!